Options

Best camera to buy

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited December 6, 2007 in Cameras
a. Canon EOS400D Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit.
b. Nikon D40x Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit.
c. Nikon D80 Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit.
d. Olympus E-410 Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit.
e. Or which other model.

Used for amataur photography, landscape, sports, family and vacations.
250 pics a month.

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    depends on your needs and what gear you already have - there is no such thing as "best"
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    My first recommendation is to NOT buy the kit with the lenses. Buy your choice of lens separately from the camera. Kit lenses are notoriously poor quality.

Second, go hold and try out each of these models. The best camera is the one you use, so purchase the one you enjoy picking up, holding. The one where the buttons are right where you need them, the one that makes sense to you to use, not the one that requires the manual everytime you use it.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited December 3, 2007
    d22 wrote:
    a. Canon EOS400D Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit.
    b. Nikon D40x Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit.
    c. Nikon D80 Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit.
    d. Olympus E-410 Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit.
    e. Or which other model.

Used for amataur photography, landscape, sports, family and vacations.
    250 pics a month.

I'm not convinced that any of the "twin lens kit" lenses are worth investing in.

Any of the cameras you mention will do a fair job of all the tasks mentioned, except for sports.

For sports I suggest:

Nikon D200/D300
    Canon 30D/40D

The latter camera from either Canon or Nikon would be an improvement over the former.

For lenses I suggest that you could start with two lenses to cover many of the situations in the categories you list:

Nikon 17mm - 55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Nikkor
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR ED-IF Nikkor
    or
    Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikkor

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    or
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Those lenses ziggy mentions are wornderful, perfect lenses. They also are quite expensive.

If you are choosing the kit to reduce cost, I would suggest the following for Canon that are far better than the kit lenses, but won't break the bank:

Canon 28-135 IS USM (3.5-5.6)
    Tamron 28-75

Canon 70-300 IS USM
    Canon 70-200 f4 L

The Tamron makes a wonderful choice for the Nikon as well.
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    I'd change the 410 to the E510 (Oly) as it has IS and is only about $100 more.

It's the least expensive of the group you have and there is nothing wrong with using the kit lenses for a while if you're budget limited.

The Oly kit lenses are very good optically and you'd be covered from 28-300mm.

Gene
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    My first recommendation would be to visit your local camera store and hold each camera. I did a lot of research before going into a store with the intent to purchase a D40, only to find that it was too small for me. It's a great camera, but if it's not comfortable in your hands, your less likely to use it.

My second recommendation is to ask yourself how much time you plan to spend learing how to use the camera and craft of photography. This is assuming you are graduating from a point and shoot, with limited knowledge of photography. This is where I was at in February. If you just want a glorified P&S, then I would stick with a D40 like model and kit lens. That will meet your needs, with the ability to add lenses later, and still get some excellent shots.

If I were starting again, I would buy either the D80 or D300 and the 18-200 VR. The 18-200 will give you a lot of flexibility for the type of photography you plan to shoot. The lens has been debated a lot on several forums. So love it, some hate it. I fall in the love it camp. Especially on vacations and family outings. As you can tell, I prefer Nikon. You won't go wrong with a Canon solution either.

Finally, I think the kit lenses are a good start if your on a tight budget.

Good luck.

Dale
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    kini62 wrote:
    I'd change the 410 to the E510 (Oly) as it has IS and is only about $100 more.

It's the least expensive of the group you have and there is nothing wrong with using the kit lenses for a while if you're budget limited.

The Oly kit lenses are very good optically and you'd be covered from 28-300mm.

Gene

I agree - the oly kit lenses are great optically. The 410 is great if you want something very small. However, the 510 has sensor shift IS, and is a bit more sophisticated in its image processing. I am biased because I have two E-500's. I love them. Great price for a feature packed product. And both of them have live preview and the oly dust reduction system.
  • Options
    groovyonegroovyone Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Take a look at the Sony A100 also. I loved mine and shot 7000 or so pics with it before upgrading to my A700. I spent a lot of time figuring out what I wanted to shoot and what features were going to fit me the best, and the A100 at the time was the only 10MP 'entry' level camera and the built in image stabilization sealed the deal for me since I shoot 99% handheld. Now, about 15 months later, there are even more options out there!
  • Options
    Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    If you go Nikon, seriously consider the D80/18-200 VR combo.
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Don´t forget the pentax K10D with 16-45 maby..Great combination
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I honestly think the best thing do do when trying to decide is to go try all of them. Two of my brothers and I did that. One walked away with a 30D, the other a D80, and I left with an E500. We are all very happy with our choices. Go play with them, one will just feel right.
  • Options
    kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    The best lens testing site I have found so far is http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/6

Check out the specs on the "kit" lenses for the Nikon and see what they have to say.
    I hope this will help in your decision, it certainly did for me.
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I love my D80 but, you may not. As was said go to a store and, fondle each camera. See which works in your hand best. The D80 will be fine for anything you choose to shoot. If you are coming from film then there will be a learning curve with any of these Dslrs, if you came from P&S cameras then you will still have to learn, mostly to get out of the auto modes.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/