Options

Fractals in Nature

pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited December 7, 2007 in Landscapes
Just one shot. I like this one because of the repeating motifs of medium sized rocks against the water and jagged BIG rocks against the sky.

From a collection of images from Patagonia

89660237.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    wow. mwink.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Love the water and the clouds in this photo thumb.gif

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Beautiful. Your image makes me want to grab a kayak and row accross that photograph.
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2007
    Kayaking across sounds great, but the wind would often pickup --- pickup HARD, I'd say 60+ mph gusts, see this image:

52646708.MxXGS7F2.cuernos_del_paine_wind_yanez.jpg
  • Options
    alexLalexL Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Nice depth in the picture!clap.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    pyanez wrote:
    Just one shot. I like this one because of the repeating motifs of medium sized rocks against the water and jagged BIG rocks against the sky.

Hi pyanez,

I had a quick look at your Chile Album,
    you have some incredible shots clap.gif
    I know nothing about this country, and had no idea it was so mountainous.

Thanks for sharing ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    The clouds make this shot rock!
  • Options
    shamanshaman Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    pyanez wrote:

89660237.jpg

The water looks cold but alive.
    Nice. Can you take me next time?

shaman.smugmug.com
    PEACE ~ WISDOM

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi pyanez,

I had a quick look at your Chile Album,
    you have some incredible shots clap.gif
    I know nothing about this country, and had no idea it was so mountainous.

Thanks for sharing ..... Skippy :D

Chile is pretty mountainous... some of the mountains in the Andes are up around 20,000 feet. But that's farther north; in southern Chile they're not so high (but it's cold down there ;-)

Nice shots of los Cuernos! When I was there the weather wasn't so good

3823004-L.jpg

3823699-L.jpg

3824234-L.jpg

But I'll be going back!
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    Yep as CatOne said Chile is a very mountainous country -- take away the mountains and at least 1/2 of the country would be gone.

Mountains are highest in Northern Chile (Country BTW is almost 3,000 miles North South) and Central Chile. For the most part the gradually decrease in height towards the south but while increasing in grandeur.

One way I "explain" Chile to Americans is that it is similar a strip of land 150 miles wide from the Alaskan panhandle though Washington, Oregon and California and Baja California -- but flipped upside-down and the mountains.

A few shots to illustrate:

Northern Chile is the driest place on earth -- some locations have had no real rainfall in over 300 years. Here the mountains stretch from the border with argentina right to the ocean with few breaks. They decrease in size towards the ocean, but in long stretches the ocean comes right up against 2,000'+ high cliffs (sorry not good photos of this).

56979228.jpg

56979224.jpg

56979221.jpg

Most of "central" Chile has very tall peaks along it's eastern boundary an very fertile central valley with a lower coastal range to the west which extends to the ocean (think California, but with bigger mountains and better wines ;-).

Just outside of Santiago the capital -- there are several 20,000' peaks within an easy drive of Santiago, as a matter a fact the effective sunrise is delayed by more than 1 hour by the shadow cast by the Andes on the city.

55603068.jpg

This one is from the Cajon del Maipo -- a 45 minute drive from downtown Santiago (pop ~5 million people) and a common weekend picnic spot:

52330607.jpg

Further south (about 700 miles) you begin to get some really nice jagged and Mt. Fuji-like volcanoes.

53871396.jpg

52330630.jpg

Eventually the entire country begins to be be heavily dissected by glaciers (some in the past, some current). The Fiords start here and continue for another 1,000 miles:

55143291.jpg

Further south still -- about 1,200 mile you begin to see the heavily glaciated landscapes seen in the photos in the previous posts.

If you are interested you can see a lot more photos Here
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 7, 2007
    Great photos and great description of the country!
    Chile was one of my favorite countries on my one-year trip throughout South America a few years ago. So diverse, so beautiful. I can only strongly recommend a visit! mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com