Options

scratch n' sniff

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited March 4, 2005 in Holy Macro
can't wait till the next century, I'm sure "scratch n' sniff" technology will be available to photographers for shots like these.....authorities would probably outlaw the technology for less desirable subjects, though. :rofl critique welcomed! one thing I have learned tonight is that roses can be hard with their texture and almost reflective quality.

16626302-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    show off.

great shot faerie. you keep shooting those macro shots and ill keep wanting a new camera, so stop making them look so good already.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    show off.

great shot faerie. you keep shooting those macro shots and ill keep wanting a new camera, so stop making them look so good already.

charlie
    showoff :lol4

ya big goober. thanks for the compliment though. hehe :D
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Beautiful rose pictures but I love the richness of this one. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    They'd make a good tryptich.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Beautiful rose pictures but I love the richness of this one. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    They'd make a good tryptich.
    ah yes, from it's wholeness to the beauty of it even if it falls apart. mwink.gif thank you!
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Nice...
    my one minor suggestion would be an indirect light on the right side of the flower...just to take some edge off the shadow and let you see a little more detail on that side. The shadow makes it nice and moody, but I am a voyeur who likes to see everything! ; )

MainFragger
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    my one minor suggestion would be an indirect light on the right side of the flower...just to take some edge off the shadow and let you see a little more detail on that side. The shadow makes it nice and moody, but I am a voyeur who likes to see everything! ; )

MainFragger
    and I like it nice and moody! rolleyes1.gif thank you!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 3, 2005
    This is very pretty DF but I'm wondering if you cropped it a bit tight and also, what if there were just a little more light on the right side? Or maybe even less so the rose is popping out of blackness?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    This is very pretty DF but I'm wondering if you cropped it a bit tight and also, what if there were just a little more light on the right side? Or maybe even less so the rose is popping out of blackness?
    thats lovely df... now you've got me at it... I wish I had a macro tho.. maybe thats my "next" lens???1drink.gif
    16845858-L.jpg

16845853-L.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Lynn, you are back? I think you should make an announcement.

ginger, hope you had fun!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Lynn, you are back? I think you should make an announcement.

ginger, hope you had fun!
    Announcing "I'm Baaaack"....rolleyes1.gif :giggle :jose :cool :cheer :curtsey 1drink.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    can't wait till the next century, I'm sure "scratch n' sniff" technology will be available to photographers for shots like these.....authorities would probably outlaw the technology for less desirable subjects, though. rolleyes1.gif critique welcomed! one thing I have learned tonight is that roses can be hard with their texture and almost reflective quality.

16626302-M.jpg
    hiya faerie,

since the cropping issue has already been raised, i'll leave that alone. What I really like about this image is the color of the petals. it's very rich and sublime. none of my roses have that color, so i'm assuming you tweaked it a bit in PS. I really like it and would like to see some more of your rose shots given the same treatment. I underexpose my roses, and bring them up in PS, trying not to touch the saturation much, since they are usually so bright. Sometimes I detune the sat a bit to prevent them from looking unreal. But the color you assigned to this rose is really nice. Keep going!
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I did have a light on the right but far far away just so I could get a bit of detail without losing the nice shadow-play apparent in the petals. but I guess that's my own preference ne_nau.gif

thank you for commenting!!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Announcing "I'm Baaaack"....rolleyes1.gif :giggle :jose :cool :cheer :curtsey 1drink.gif
    welcome back girlfriend!! nice shots btw, I can't believe you don't have a macro lens?!? eek7.gif seems like it'd be right up your alley. :):
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    fish wrote:
    hiya faerie,

since the cropping issue has already been raised, i'll leave that alone. What I really like about this image is the color of the petals. it's very rich and sublime. none of my roses have that color, so i'm assuming you tweaked it a bit in PS. I really like it and would like to see some more of your rose shots given the same treatment. I underexpose my roses, and bring them up in PS, trying not to touch the saturation much, since they are usually so bright. Sometimes I detune the sat a bit to prevent them from looking unreal. But the color you assigned to this rose is really nice. Keep going!
    just so I can understand about the cropping, are you guys saying "give it some breathing room" on the left and a bit at the top? mwink.gif

thanks re: color. I did it in my old editing program and somehow lucked out with having just the right white balance and exposure so I actually didn'thave to tweak it too much. I should've written that down!!

next time I get a rose (hint hint for all you nice gentleman out there rolleyes1.gif ) I'll definitely do a reshoot. roses are a challenge!!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    welcome back girlfriend!! nice shots btw, I can't believe you don't have a macro lens?!? eek7.gif seems like it'd be right up your alley. :):
    thanks df... no I don't ...oh my... oh my ... do I need one?? oh dear I can feel another lens fit coming on...what do you have anyway..eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    thanks df... no I don't ...oh my... oh my ... do I need one?? oh dear I can feel another lens fit coming on...what do you have anyway..eek7.gif
    half the reason I bought my fujifilm s7000 was because of it's built in macro capabilities, I believe up to 1cm, I recall touching my UV filter to many an object while shooting before so I guess I can get in pretty close.

If I ever want to go out and get close to insects I'll need to invest in a separate lens and on that note I don't know what to tell ya. I made a note to check out some lenses mentioned in other posts, though if you want to check it out. they are:

canon 420 EX
    canon 550 EX
    CANON 580 EX

I can't remember the differences since I didn't take detailed notes, but I'm sure a search for "macro lens" on the forums would produce gratifying results. let me know what you decide on. since I shoot mostly still life stuff with macro I'm very content with what I have now (which is a good thing since I can't go blowing money on camera equip. right now). :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Pssst! DF, those are flashes, not lenses! lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Pssst! DF, those are flashes, not lenses! lol3.gif
    D'OH! lol, I see the small almost illegible note on that piece of paper that says "speedlight TTL (external flashes)", Laughing.gif.

the macro list lynn is:

Canon 180 f/1.8
    Canon 100mm f/2.8
    Tamron 180 f/3.5

so......it's like I've always said, "Dorks are sexy" rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

(it's also been a loooooong day)
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    D'OH! lol, I see the small almost illegible note on that piece of paper that says "speedlight TTL (external flashes)", Laughing.gif.

the macro list lynn is:

Canon 180 f/1.8
    Canon 100mm f/2.8
    Tamron 180 f/3.5

so......it's like I've always said, "Dorks are sexy" rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

(it's also been a loooooong day)
    thanks df .... well I for one am glad you're a dork.. that makes two of us at least.1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    thanks df .... well I for one am glad you're a dork.. that makes two of us at least.1drink.gif
    now that makes 3 great things going for us.

1. we can take a decent photograph
    2. we're pisces
    3. we're dorks

we are the COMPLETE PACKAGE!!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    now that makes 3 great things going for us.

1. we can take a decent photograph
    2. we're pisces
    3. we're dorks

we are the COMPLETE PACKAGE!!
    we are .. we are
    :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer