Options

Tripod

dbutchardbutchar Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited December 10, 2007 in Accessories
Amature working with a 5d

I am looking to pick up a tripod I'm putting it out there to all you pro's. Give me your recommendations, what do you like, why do you like it. :dunno

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    What use? Studio? Near-the-car field? Backcountry hiking?
    How big of a lens is expected to be used?
    Budget?

Now, the required reading link: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Finally, my biased commnets. :D My current setup is a RRS BH-40 head and Giottos 7261 legset with RRS A-S plates on the bodies & lenses. I love this setup, it's a good compromise between weight, stability, and cost for me. The head works wonderfully. Having an L-plate on the 20D really makes things easy & encourages using the tripod--in fact I've used this setup more in the year I've had it than any other I've had in many, many years. It really is worth getting a good rig that's a joy to use--because then you will. thumb.gif
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    I buy ones that I wont cry if I kill them. Im fairly abusive to them so, I dont get the expensive ones. Sunpack make one for $80 that is also a Monopod. I hike in the canyons in N Az alot so, my stuff get pound a bit.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    I have never found one tripod to do everything....
    "Everything" for me is supporting a Canon 400mm f/5.6L lens on a Manfrotto 3421 Gimbal Mount as well as being light enough to hump across country on hikes but, stable enough for use in high winds.

I have used two tripods to cover these needs. My previous pair were an older Davis and Sanford and a Manfrotto 3001P. The Davis and Sanford was sturdy enough to support a VW Bug but, unfortunately weighed almost as much as the Bug. My hiking tripod was the 3001P with a Manfrotto Midi-Ball Head. This combination was sturdy but not as light as I desired.

I have compromised and now use the Giottos MT818 Carbon Fiber tripod as my unit for long lenses with the Manfrotto 3421 Gimbal Head. This is a great setup and I can follow action such as panning with 150 MPH Thunderboats with ease. It is much lighter than my Davis and Sanford dinosaur yet, is tall enough to fit my 6'1" height. The legs set up easily and keep the set up while shooting. Nothing is as maddening than a tripod which constantly needs to be reset.

I use a SLIK 330DX for my boonie tromping tripod. This tripod is not carbon fiber but, weighs only 3.31 pounds including head with the standard center column and probably an ounce or two less with the shorter optional center column. I have had no problems using this tripod with lenses up to my 70-200mm f/4L IS but, probably would not consider it for my 400mm f/5.6L lens. It is relatively inexpensive (I paid less than $80 at a Calumet sale) and fits my needs very well.

One feature that I would insist on in selecting any tripod is individually adjustable legs with no stabilizers between the legs and center column. This allows the tripods to be used at very low levels or on very uneven ground.