Options

Crystal Glass

Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited December 11, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
well, for lack of better words, i'm pretty much grounded.. and an itchy trigger finger doesnt help when i dont have the keys to my truck to get to the old church i wanted to shoot.. so around 12 last night i needed to take a picture of something.. its nothing spectacular, the only thing i did to it was convert to B&W because the light hitting the crystal refracted into a rainbow of colors.. i would love to know what you think of it, anything you like, if you think it sucks, what you wouldve done different, all C&C welcome. quality isnt that great, but i wasnt going to post a 3000 pixel photo.

2097426245_31779cea5d_o.jpg
Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
http://slinky0390.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Next time I need an example of when not to obey the "rule of thirds" I'll use this. I really like it. I like that it has so much "white space", which in your case is black, but at any rate, I like the composition. B&W works very well for this too in my opinion.

I would have shot this much tighter, nearly filling the frame, because it's been pounded into my head by every book I have read to fill the frame with the subject. But I would have missed this shot entirely. Your composition goes from being a study of crystal, to a piece of art. Thanks for teaching me something today!

Jamie
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    thanks! i took a bunch of these, at different focal lengths, but the closer ones just didnt look right. i felt that they eye would focus more on the glass if it seemed suspended in a "dark abyss"
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
  • Options
    jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    thanks! i took a bunch of these, at different focal lengths, but the closer ones just didnt look right. i felt that they eye would focus more on the glass if it seemed suspended in a "dark abyss"
    Well it sure worked for me! I'm housebound today and it's been literally years since I have taken shots around the house, so your shot just might be the kick in the pants I need to get a-shootin!

jamie
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    well, for lack of better words, i'm pretty much grounded.. and an itchy trigger finger doesnt help when i dont have the keys to my truck to get to the old church i wanted to shoot.. so around 12 last night i needed to take a picture of something.. its nothing spectacular, the only thing i did to it was convert to B&W because the light hitting the crystal refracted into a rainbow of colors.. i would love to know what you think of it, anything you like, if you think it sucks, what you wouldve done different, all C&C welcome. quality isnt that great, but i wasnt going to post a 3000 pixel photo.

I don't believe I am saying this but here goes.
    I love this shot but wonder if you cropped it a bit so the Crystal Glass in not in the center but rather to one side if that would work a little better.

Says she, who is well known for centering absolutely everything she shoots rolleyes1.gif
    Ya don't get an icon like this named after ya for nothin ya know :skippy

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    I don't believe I am saying this but here goes.
    I love this shot but wonder if you cropped it a bit so the Crystal Glass in not in the center but rather to one side if that would work a little better.

Says she, who is well known for centering absolutely everything she shoots rolleyes1.gif
    Ya don't get an icon like this named after ya for nothin ya know :skippy

.... Skippy :D

yeah, i just realized that, i out today getting some shots and 109.12% of them have the subject centered
  • Options
    christopherstudiochristopherstudio Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    speechless. great use of light and contrast