Options

weekend in Sydney

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited December 12, 2007 in Journeys
Last week we finally left our new home of Brisbane to see a bit more of Australia. Our flight arrived in Sydney, but before seeing too much of the city, business at the University of Wollongong (1 hour south) had to be taken care of, so we'll start there.

Wollongong is a pretty sleepy little New South Wales coastal town. There are 2 nice beaches, a small but nice university, a few decent hotels, a surf club, and a steel factory. Oh, and also, next to the steel factory happens to be the largest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere. Nan Thien is actually a Buddhist college. Built on it's own hillside, it is a very lovely spot.

230796602-L.jpg

Sydney is a very cool city. I would say it's about the perfect size, and since it's built around the harbor, there are very distinct neighborhoods tucked away in nice pockets. It's also more diverse than a United Nations picnic. In contrast to Brisbane, I wondered if, at times, I was even in Australia at all. The old parts of the city are very very European and have that small, old feeling to them. The Rocks is the area that all tourists are directed to for the best collection of old structures. It did not dissapoint, and with a great street market, I highly recommend it.

MrsIt claims that the Opera House is one of few buildings she has wanted to see ever since she was a small girl. It didn't disappoint. I liked it best in this view:

230796636-L.jpg

And what can you do on a rainy sunday morning before your flight home? Go to the aquarium of course! Home to some of the best collections of sharks and colorful coral and reef fish in the world. The tunnel underneath the seal tank was a favorite.

230796847-L.jpg

Still have more to upload, but those are my favorites. :D
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Great stuff mate...im waiting for more.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Great stuff mate...im waiting for more.

15524779-Ti.gif

C'monnnnn Doc! :D
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Sorry for the delay... there were some glitches in the upload (read: I ran out of beer and had to prioritize what to do first :D)

So back to Wollongong we go. As a New Englander, it warms my heart to see rapid weather changes. Here's the view from our hotel room immediately when we arrived, and then 30 minutes later:

231198627-S.jpg231198968-S.jpg

Not a bad view, that's the boat harbor, built up with stones to protect the fancy boats. After that rain system passed, we were treated to some pretty dramatic clouds that made the hills in the background seem much higher than they actually were. Our hotel is there amongst those buildings.

231179893-L.jpg

That photo was taken from the little spit of land that pretty much makes Wollongong a place to visit. Just behind where I'm standing is a lighthouse (the one you see is the photo is the one that is in use, the bigger one not pictured is a historic landmark). On the other side of the spit from the boat harbor pictured above, is the surfing beach below. In the background here, you can see the "beautiful" steel plant.

231175580-M.jpg

Enough scenery, let's eat!!! A big Aussie style chicken burger for MrsIt and a basket of fish and chips from a beach side stand is just what the Dr ordered (ha, ha, get it? ha!)

231186391-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    After a couple meetings and a lab tour at UofW we hopped back in the car and headed to the aforementioned Nan Tien Temple before driving back up the coast to Sydney.

The proper name is actually the FO GUANG SHAN NAN TIEN TEMPLE (clickie here for a link on some info). Are you noticing quite a few clouds in my photos so far? Yeah, it was a recurring theme. As not to disappoint, it was cloudy again this morning. Welcome to the temple!

231191985-M.jpg

Now, I know there are no photos allowed inside prayer rooms, but as you can clearly see, I'm outside the doors, so in my book I will hopefully not be struck down. Not that buddhism would say that would happen, I'll just lose my path and resist to temptation. Another cheeseburger? Yessss! :D

Simply gorgeous, though:
    231189156-L.jpg

The temple really is huge. After proceding up and through those steps where you saw the schoolchildren is an entire other level and courtyard, enclosed in the building.

231189501-L.jpg

This is the view from the stairs that you see in the photo above:

231181680-M.jpg

Hello, knock, knock, is anybody home? :D

231181502-M.jpg

In addition to the temple buildings, the grounds are just stunning.

231182573-L.jpg

231182819-M.jpg

231182664-M.jpg

I learned that the Pagoda is actually a giant vertical cemetary. Within are thousands of little shelves/cubicles (sorry, I don't know the proper name) where families keep the remains of their deceased. It's extremely ornate.

231186484-L.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Time for the drive back north to Sydney, following the coast:

231183004-L.jpg

Oh look, the clouds are rolling in... Just a short while later:

231200755-M.jpg

Nice view, no? Too bad, since we were driving through the Royal National Park, which looked like it had some gorgeous bush walks and vistas. Maybe next time, we had to have the car returned by 17:00 so no time for getting soggy in the forest.

But once in the city, the rain subsided and we were able to walk to our hotel without getting soaked. When we checked in, we saw on the news that the storm we drove through was in fact quite bad - flooding and several collapsed awnings in the city, which in fact killed one man (explains all the fire trucks we saw racing around the city). Overall, it was a very stormy weekend. As we were flying out on sunday, the surrounding areas were getting pummeled by giant hail (explains the bumpy crappy flight)!

But regardless, we had a pleasant evening in Sydney...

231178972-L.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Now, for the city itself. While not as prolific as in New York City, by necessity, Sydney is a city full of bridges...

The Western Distributor bridge

231181276-M.jpg
    231188582-M.jpg

The Pyrmont pedestrian/monorail bridge crossing from the Darling Harbor area to the CBD

231185253-M.jpg

And of course, the Harbor Bridge

231195408-M.jpg

231183374-M.jpg231194096-M.jpg

Bridges are so cool.

231194351-L.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    A highly notable point of interest in Sydney was an outdoor photo exhibition. Entitled "Earth from the Air" it is photographer Yann Arthus-Bertrand's vision of the earth. All aerial shots, gorgeous, with tremendous environmental impact statements, as much a survey in beauty as the implications of what humans are doing/have done to this planet. I wanted to hug a tree after seeing this.

231183747-M.jpg

The exhibition was in Darling Harbor. Some other shots from there...

231185133-M.jpg

231187992-M.jpg

231187808-L.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    A highly notable point of interest in Sydney was an outdoor photo exhibition. Entitled "Earth from the Air" it is photographer Yann Arthus-Bertrand's vision of the earth.

I love Yann Arthus-Bertrand!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    And here's just a smattering of the more typical Sydney shots.

Luna Park

231195150-L.jpg

Circular Quay

231195781-L.jpg

Royal Botanic Gardens (next to Opera House and Circular Quay)

231189982-L.jpg
    231190190-M.jpg

Flying Foxes!

231204908-M.jpg

Other less sleepy garden inhabitants:

231196984-M.jpg

Opera House and Harbor Bridge

231186865-L.jpg

Reflections of the city

231186995-M.jpg

And even the Xmas spirit in the Queen Victoria Building (that tree filled all 3+ levels of the shopping center)

231178053-L.jpg
    231204357-Th.jpg231188950-Th.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the trip, we did!
    wave.gif

231187290-S.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    beer.gif

Thanks, doc, for the tour - certainly a place I want to visit, sooner rather than later.

ann
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Amazing what you'll find in the dgrin goodies! lol3.gif

I wanted the book, but after all the travelling and eating, the exhibition price of $100 was a bit too much. It's on my list though, hard to forget some of those images.
    Erik

• Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Erik,

Thanks for the tour--love each of your shots. The temple is particularly beautiful. My wife and I visited Sydney 18 months ago and just loved it. It's a real tossup for me: Sydney, Melbourne, or Perth. I'd have to go with Perth and Melbourne a close second. But all three are lovely cities.

Have a marvelous time and keep us updated with photos.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    DoctorIT

Enjoyed your quality pics of my hometown! Thanks.

The sandstone post of the stairway in the pic with the fruit stall is so nostalgic. As you will have noticed sandstone is a signature of Sydney, and was used extensively in the city from colonisation through the first half of last century.

I love the wide shot of the Opera House forecourt, and bridge.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    You nailed that place for a photo walk mate. Although i do not believe T could down a burger that size & chase it with a jug of beer for one min.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Great photos ! clap.gif
    enjoyed them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    The sandstone post of the stairway in the pic with the fruit stall is so nostalgic. As you will have noticed sandstone is a signature of Sydney, and was used extensively in the city from colonisation through the first half of last century.
    nod.gif Pretty similar here in Brisbane, especially at UQ - our great court is like one massive block of the stuff!
    I love the wide shot of the Opera House forecourt, and bridge.
    Thanks, I dig that 10-22mm
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    gus wrote:
    You nailed that place for a photo walk mate. Although i do not believe T could down a burger that size & chase it with a jug of beer for one min.
    You got me on the beer, that was all for show, but she destroyed that burger. You know T well enough to understand: that was the day after her big test and surviving the flight from brissy (in other words, she hadn't eaten in 2 days lol3.gif)
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    Great photos ! clap.gif
    enjoyed them
    Thanks mate thumb.gif
    Erik