Anonymous NY street portraits

1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited December 12, 2007 in Street and Documentary
I thought I would share with you a few NY street 'portraits' from a recent visit to the Big Apple.

231044712-L.jpg
1. SoHo Panhandler -- I only gave him one dollar, so I only took one shot

231045055-L.jpg
2. Street vender taking a break

228620357-L.jpg
3. Shopper? Tourist? Outside Macy's

I did not get a single comment about my recent post of mannequins getting touched up by a make-up artist -- maybe these will be more to you all's liking :dunno
My humble gallery...
www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
www.poolinaction.com

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    That last one has so much detail...her fingernails, the glasses and the reflection. Very cool! I like that she seems to be looking up at the buildings being reflected. clap.gif The selective color certainly draws my eye right to the glasses, which I don't think is a bad thing. Perhaps the color version would distract from the reflection? I'm amazed that you were able to get such a tight shot of someone on the street.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 12, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    That last one has so much detail...her fingernails, the glasses and the reflection. Very cool! I like that she seems to be looking up at the buildings being reflected. clap.gif The selective color certainly draws my eye right to the glasses, which I don't think is a bad thing. Perhaps the color version would distract from the reflection? I'm amazed that you were able to get such a tight shot of someone on the street.

15524779-Ti.gif I'm not too fond of selective color in general but I think it works well in this shot. Nicely done. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Actually I think third one is the best one thumb.gif

Do you have something more to show ?
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    The sidewalks & streets outside Macys were sooooo jammed with people it was actually easy to get close to people -- you couldn't help it :D

The rest of my NYC gallery can be viewed here:
    http://sbooth.smugmug.com/gallery/3933002
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    I did not get a single comment about my recent post of mannequins getting touched up by a make-up artist -- maybe these will be more to you all's liking

Don't fret about comments - Dgrin is a big community and things easily slip under the wire when traffic gets heavy. Plus a lot of people who don't have accounts here see your stuff but can't post replies. thumb.gif

I love the shot of the woman on her phone. Selective color really works well here to tell the story! Her elaborate nails contrasted with fairly modest clothing and hairstyle also make me laugh. :D
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 12, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I love the shot of the woman on her phone. Selective color really works well here to tell the story! Her elaborate nails contrasted with fairly modest clothing and hairstyle also make me laugh. :D

yes, neat photo-