Options

Anyone use Crumpler photo bags?

JimmehJimmeh Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 5, 2005 in Accessories
It occurred to me while hiking with my Tamrac Velocity 9 today that the one-shoulder single strap design is killing my neck when I wear it.

So now I figure I'll get a backpack.

The Crumpler bags look like they're pretty solid and well-designed, and I was looking in particular at these models:

Puppet
Schrinkle
Brian's Hot Tub

From what I can tell these three hold only photo stuff + laptop, and they open from the back, so you can flip it around, wear it on your front side, and work straight out of the bag pretty easily. But I can't tell cause the photos are sort of lacking.

I only have a d70 body and 3 lenses and might add another small lens later on, so the Hot Tub model might be overkill... but OTOH I may be getting a 17" laptop sometime and it seems to be the only one that goes to that size. Maybe I could put some food or books in the extra space?

The other 2 backpack models, the Farmer's Double and The Formal Lounge, seem to be a normal backpack on the top half, and then photo stuff goes in the part on the bottom of the bag... but to access the photo stuff it seems like you'd have to take the whole bag off and basically set it down... I don't know what goes in the top half but I'm guessing that part is just open space for whatever? So I don't think they're as good of a design are they? Trying to get a good mental image here.

Anyway, any answers to my questions or thoughts on these bags in general would be GREATLY appreciated, as there are no dealers of them in my state, and they are quite expensive so I want to make sure I'm spending money on something worthwhile. Thanks.

-jimmey

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Jimmeh wrote:
    It occurred to me while hiking with my Tamrac Velocity 9 today that the one-shoulder single strap design is killing my neck when I wear it.

So now I figure I'll get a backpack.

The Crumpler bags look like they're pretty solid and well-designed, and I was looking in particular at these models:

Puppet
    Schrinkle
    Brian's Hot Tub

From what I can tell these three hold only photo stuff + laptop, and they open from the back, so you can flip it around, wear it on your front side, and work straight out of the bag pretty easily. But I can't tell cause the photos are sort of lacking.

I only have a d70 body and 3 lenses and might add another small lens later on, so the Hot Tub model might be overkill... but OTOH I may be getting a 17" laptop sometime and it seems to be the only one that goes to that size. Maybe I could put some food or books in the extra space?

The other 2 backpack models, the Farmer's Double and The Formal Lounge, seem to be a normal backpack on the top half, and then photo stuff goes in the part on the bottom of the bag... but to access the photo stuff it seems like you'd have to take the whole bag off and basically set it down... I don't know what goes in the top half but I'm guessing that part is just open space for whatever? So I don't think they're as good of a design are they? Trying to get a good mental image here.

Anyway, any answers to my questions or thoughts on these bags in general would be GREATLY appreciated, as there are no dealers of them in my state, and they are quite expensive so I want to make sure I'm spending money on something worthwhile. Thanks.

-jimmey

loads of posts on this subject, if you try the search button, using "crumpler" as your keyword, you get these results. fwiw i've used the shrinkle (perfect for rebel/10d/20d/d70 type cameras, several lenses, accessories, and even a small laptoop). i now use the farmer's double i really like it a lot. you cannot beat crumpler for quality and comfort imo, i'm a back surgery patient and the bags ride like a dream.