Options

Quick Trip, Big Impact

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited December 14, 2007 in Journeys
Hey folks! Just got back from Bend, Oregon, where I met up with my family as an excuse to drag my girlfriend Tracy up from Vegas and spend time together. :D I came home with a few keepers from the weekend, most of which, strangely enough, are of Tracy, but I'll try not to bore you with ALL of them! :rofl We took off Friday the 23rd and went to Smith Rock to climb the Monkey Face Tower, me with a sneaky scheme in my head and her with no idea! Most of my shots are from this day. Here's a few:

Self portrait of me and Tracy. Simple, but happy. :D
bend02.jpg

We met up with my friend Casey who dragged Andrew along for the ride, and started up the Monkey. Here's Andrew following Casey up through that notch and around and up the other face.
bend06.jpg

Tracy followed me up, after I ingeniously rigged myself with some planning time with Casey for the upcoming summit. :D
bend07.jpg

Casey at the belay. I brought about thirty pounds more gear than was necessary. Oops.
bend08.jpg

Tracy takes off jugging the second pitch, after Andrew's lead.
bend10.jpg

Tracy, with Casey finishing off his ascent in the distance. Note how overhung this wall is. It makes for an intense full length double-rope rappel.
bend11.jpg

It was Tracy's first time jugging, so I passed her and shot from the mouth of the Monkey.
bend12.jpg

Tracy at the topout. Sorry, but you understand I just HAVE to shoot thousands of pictures of her. :D
bend13.jpg

*ahem*
bend15.jpg

I stopped after a bit and turned around to shoot Casey. Casey was waiting for me to belay him to the top. Girls are such a distraction.
bend16.jpg

So we topped out to a happy sunny day, with almost no breeze and temperatures warm enough to shed layers. Life is good! Then I put my sneaky plan into action and handed off my camera to Andrew to get the summit shot of me and Tracy. And a little bit more. :D
bend18.jpg

Time stands still.
bend19.jpg

She said YES! :barb

We're working on a date now, but of course I'll have to post and let you all know!

I didn't shoot much the rest of that day, and the next day we spent shopping for rings, so here's what's left of the trip. :D

My neice Amour, and my dad. It was a short-lived game.:rofl
bend21.jpg

And here's what we went home with.
bend22.jpg

So that's my Thanksgiving weekend. Hard to beat, but we intend to have many more at least as enjoyable! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Incredible. Congrats and best wishes.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    wings.gif

I was certainly not expecting that plot twist in your story! Congrats and thanks for sharing the views and your news :D
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Great photos, and congratulations wings.gif
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Congratulations!!! clap.gif The shots of her climbing in the skirt are awesome (especially the first one). Seems like you two are meant for each other. iloveyou.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    clap.gif

Awesome! What a nice proposal!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Thanks a bunch for the comments and congrats all! The wedding is currently planned for the 1st of March, and if any of you happen to be in the area and feel like shooting a wedding (ha ha) you're more than welcome to come! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Yeah I totaly didnt expect the story to end that way!!!

That is so cool!!!

Congrats!!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 29, 2007
    Ha! Congrats man!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Thanks a bunch for the comments and congrats all! The wedding is currently planned for the 1st of March, and if any of you happen to be in the area and feel like shooting a wedding (ha ha) you're more than welcome to come! :D
    There's a good chance I will be in AK that week. Trying to firm up some
    plans now.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    I was in shock when i saw the proposal picture thumb.gif! What a great story! Enjoyed.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    indulgentsoulindulgentsoul Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    wow...congratulations ...and what a twist to the story .. completely unexpected .....briliantly done.

:D
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    See, I knew you were sweet on that girl! Congratulations to you both, all the best for a spectacular future together!!clap.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Congratulations John and Tracy! That first shot is lovely and would make a unique engagement announcement card.

ann
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    I forgot the "Told you so" lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I forgot the "Told you so" lol3.gif

Hehehe... I wasn't gonna confirm it then, and in fact I had no idea it would be so soon. rolleyes1.gif Thanks again for the comments all! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    What a great story!!! (Best one yet, hehe!). Great photos of Tracy, too. She was smiling at the camera so willingly, it was almost as if she knew it was a special day. Congratulations to the two of you! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    What a great story!!! (Best one yet, hehe!). Great photos of Tracy, too. She was smiling at the camera so willingly, it was almost as if she knew it was a special day. Congratulations to the two of you! clap.gif

Hehe, she may have had a hint, but she wasn't expecting it right then. I was pleased with how well the plotting and scheming worked. :D Thanks for the congrats!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    That was a great story! As others said, the ending was completely unexpected. Love the pictures!
    Jaye