Un-official Unsolicited Vista and Windows 7 Advice Thread

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Speaking of SP1.
    Any press releases as to when SP1 is scheduled to release?

First quarter of 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abouttn/flash/landingpages/editorial_121207.mspx
    Chris
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    To re-run Profile Chooser, look in your Start Menu under Datavision or Colorvision or whatever brand the Spyder line was called when you purchased it. I copied that shortcut to my desktop, and I just run it every time I come out of sleep or locked mode.

Found it. But in my version, ColorVision Spyder2Express v2.3.5, I had to go to Program Files>ColorVision>Utility>ColorVision Startup. Click on ColorvisionStartup and that reloaded the profile just like when you boot the computer. Works good, so far. Made a shortcut for further use. Too bad they don't tell you about it at the site.

Thanks, Greg. A great help indeed.clap.gif
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Found it. But in my version, ColorVision Spyder2Express v2.3.5, I had to go to Program Files>ColorVision>Utility>ColorVision Startup. Click on ColorvisionStartup and that reloaded the profile just like when you boot the computer. Works good, so far. Made a shortcut for further use. Too bad they don't tell you about it at the site.

Thanks, Greg. A great help indeed.clap.gif

No problem. And sorry about my anti-Vista rants. It's a decent product, with good improvements over XP. I'll just be more satisfied when MS fixes the things that weren't broken in XP. mwink.gif
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Anyone in here know office 2007 outlook?
    I have a filtering question about duplicate emails but it's too far off topic and I don't want to hijack.

Shoot me a PM if you think you can help.
    edited December 15, 2007
    Viewing .ISO files in vista
    So I have an external drive that has about 400GB worth of movies on it. I'd like to leave them on my HD and just view them vs. burning them and having yet another big disk case.

What are my options to view the .ISO file?

Here's wht I've done already. Went to open the file through WMP and ignored the warning dialog about campatability. (I was able to do this on the older version installed w/ my XP box)

D/L Alcohol 120%. When the installer asked me to reboot to continue installation. I cancelled the install.
    *The only reason that an installer needs to reboot half way through the process is because it's adjusting the Kernel. I'm not gonna let an app adjust the Kernel unless I KNOW what it's doing. That's too risky in my book.. Unless someone in here has proven sucess w/ installing alcohol and viewing .ISO's......
    edited December 15, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    No problem. And sorry about my anti-Vista rants. It's a decent product, with good improvements over XP. I'll just be more satisfied when MS fixes the things that weren't broken in XP. mwink.gif

Well, as we all should know, MS is happy to release their products and let all of us users be their beta testers. I will usually wait until version 1.x or 2 or until SP is released. But in this case I really needed a faster machine, more memory and a larger HD, so went ahead and made the purchase. Bumps in the road were not unexpected. So be it.
    edited December 16, 2007
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 16, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:

Perverse...I love it. rolleyes1.gif

So I guess my new XP machine is actually ahead of the curve.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:

OK, OK :nono I won't make any OS X, or Win NT, upgrade jokes. Not even an O/S 2 ha-ha-ha.

But did he really say he sleeps with his laptop? headscratch.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited December 16, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    But did he really say he sleeps with his laptop? headscratch.gif

Heh heh, He sleeps near his laptop...

I'm really going to have to install Vista some time... just so I can experience the full effect. I haven't bothered to since RC1 I think.
    Chris
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    Any Vista peeps know why in the world my wacom tablet and mouse will stop working until I restart Vista? :splat
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited December 16, 2007
    Which tablet?

There are a few known issues w/ current drivers and wacom tablets. There is other driver support out there that can most likely fix this. (usually not the most current drivers)

Check this out too:
    http://www.wacom-asia.com/download/down_s.html?drv_c=165
    edited December 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So I have an external drive that has about 400GB worth of movies on it. I'd like to leave them on my HD and just view them vs. burning them and having yet another big disk case.

What are my options to view the .ISO file?

Here's wht I've done already. Went to open the file through WMP and ignored the warning dialog about campatability. (I was able to do this on the older version installed w/ my XP box)

D/L Alcohol 120%. When the installer asked me to reboot to continue installation. I cancelled the install.
    *The only reason that an installer needs to reboot half way through the process is because it's adjusting the Kernel. I'm not gonna let an app adjust the Kernel unless I KNOW what it's doing. That's too risky in my book.. Unless someone in here has proven sucess w/ installing alcohol and viewing .ISO's......
    Bump.
    Any ideas?
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Bump.
    Any ideas?

I have used the program a lot and it is very good. The reason it needs to do a reboot is because it is creating a virtual DVD Drive. The drive will show up in the system as a SCSI Drive. You can then open the program and mount the ISO images onto the drive. At this point you can then pretty much use it just like it was a real DVD. You can open up WMP and play them (or any other program that has the proper DVD codec installed) Other tools you can use are Daemon Tools, and Power ISO. All of these create virtual devices that you can mount CD/DVD images on.

Hope this helps!
    edited December 18, 2007
    Rhuarc,
    I'm trying power ISO now and I REALLY like it in regards to burning disks and creating bootable images. I'm having trouble understanding how to use the virtual drives though.

Here's a link to a video of what I'm doing and what is showing up. Maybe this is due to not having the proper codec? That seems strange since I can watch the same movie through my DVD player when I insert the disk into my optical drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B26asyGKDo

Any ideas?

The screen is a little low res so I'll step by step what I'm doing in case it doesn't make sense:
    Launch power ISO.
    Mount an ,iso file using power ISO
    Launch WMP
    go to File>open
    Browse to mounted drive
    When I get to this part it lets me open the drive. But then it let's me into the audio/vudeo files instead of having a just letting me double click on the drive and it launch the movie.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Rhuarc,
    I'm trying power ISO now and I REALLY like it in regards to burning disks and creating bootable images. I'm having trouble understanding how to use the virtual drives though.

Here's a link to a video of what I'm doing and what is showing up. Maybe this is due to not having the proper codec? That seems strange since I can watch the same movie through my DVD player when I insert the disk into my optical drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B26asyGKDo

Any ideas?

The screen is a little low res so I'll step by step what I'm doing in case it doesn't make sense:
    Launch power ISO.
    Mount an ,iso file using power ISO
    Launch WMP
    go to File>open
    Browse to mounted drive
    When I get to this part it lets me open the drive. But then it let's me into the audio/vudeo files instead of having a just letting me double click on the drive and it launch the movie.

Jon, you linked the guy taking 6 years of self portraits.

I don't use alchohol, but have used ISO Magic or is it Disk magic. It works the sameway. Creates a virtual drive in which you mount the image file. Then it acts like a disk.
    edited December 18, 2007
    Sorry.

Look at the video. It won't let me do that. When I double click on the mounted drive, it doesn't launch anything..??

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5133112986620102385
    edited December 18, 2007
    THis is what I see after I double click on the mounted CD drive...

I go into the audio and video directories. Nothing there I can "launch" to make WMP run...
    edited December 18, 2007
    You should be able to just open up windows media player, and then point it at the virtual drive. So you would mount the image in the drive first, then open windows media player go to the virtual drive. It should recognize it and be able to play. Those two directories you see are how DVD's are organized. If you put a regular DVD into your regular drive and explore it you would see the same folders and files. You could probably also right click the virtual drive and there should be an option to open in Windows Media Payer.

Let me know if his helps, or if you still can't get it I'll do some research.
    edited December 18, 2007
    I appreciate your help Rhuarc. I did try this, but I tried again and here's what I got:

If I "explore" it does what it's supposed to. Go into the directories just like the previous screen cap.

The only option I see when right clicking is going to power ISO and selecting "auto play" but this just takes me to windows explorer and show the same as the other screen cap???
    edited December 18, 2007
    Hmm, have you tried any other software other than ultraISO? When I get home from work I'll try out a couple of things and see what I can figure out.

You di say you are able to play regular DVD's on the computer correct? Using the optical drive?
    edited December 18, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Hmm, have you tried any other software other than ultraISO? When I get home from work I'll try out a couple of things and see what I can figure out.

You did say you are able to play regular DVD's on the computer correct? Using the optical drive?
    I've tried Dameware and Alcohol 120% you told me about the reboot reason.. Same results. It just lets me explore the drive. I'm willing to reinstall to help troubleshoot though if required.

Yes, My machine can play DVD's via the optical drive.

My machine runs perfectly as far as peripherals and other things like that.
    edited December 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've tried Dameware and Alcohol 120% you told me about the reboot reason..

Yes, My machine can play DVD's via the optical drive.

My machine runs perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, once I get home I'll test a DVD image on my machine and see if I have any problems like you are describing.
    edited December 19, 2007
    You could try Media Player Classic [sourceforge.net] to open the "drive"...

It's free and will play pretty much anything (assuming you have the right codec).
    Chris
    edited December 19, 2007
    Thanks Chris.

I'd like to resolve this issue of knowing why the iamges that should mount as a cd won't let me launch WMP first. Then if that's not possible. I'll move onto MPC.

I have another question. Which anti-virus software do ppl recommend? I hear avast is supposed to be very nice.

I finally dumped Norton since it was causing more issues than helping. I read it was cumbersome and slow. Software companies usually don't stay in business if the software is no good and Nortons been around for a while. So I gave it a shot to see first hand if it was junk. It is.
    edited December 19, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I finally dumped Norton since it was causing more issues than helping. I read it was cumbersome and slow. Software companies usually don't stay in business if the software is no good and Nortons been around for a while. So I gave it a shot to see first hand if it was junk. It is.

There are several posts in this thread about the different anti-virus software out there, both free and pay. Avast! is one, as is NOD32 from eset. I read Ric Grupe's post here and downloaded the free trial of NOD32 here. Loved it and finally did buy a year license for $40 and it's great. Runs the scheduled scans in the background, unlike Norton, takes up a lot less room and is very fast on my machine. To be honest, I feel better buying the license rathar than having a free one 'cuse then I feel I have a company committed and I have justification for complaining, if need mwink.gif So far, no complaints and I do like it.
    edited December 19, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:
    There are several posts in this thread about the different anti-virus software out there, both free and pay. Avast! is one, as is NOD32 from eset. I read Ric Grupe's post here and downloaded the free trial of NOD32 here. Loved it and finally did buy a year license for $40 and it's great. Runs the scheduled scans in the background, unlike Norton, takes up a lot less room and is very fast on my machine. To be honest, I feel better buying the license rathar than having a free one 'cuse then I feel I have a company committed and I have justification for complaining, if need mwink.gif So far, no complaints and I do like it.

I am also using NOD32. Love it so far!! Oh, and I'm still looking into the problem you are having with playing the DVD Images.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 19, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

I have another question. Which anti-virus software do ppl recommend? I hear avast is supposed to be very nice.

I finally dumped Norton since it was causing more issues than helping.
    Avast and NOD32 both have good reputations. I have been using AVG free edition for years and it never has given me any problem. It also has caught very few viruses, but I think that the whole virus issue is vastly overblown. If you are simply aware of suspicious attachments, you are in good shape. I haven't even gotten one of those for several years.

I also dumped Norton a long time ago, but in those days it was not all that easy to get rid of all of its components--a simple uninstall left a lot of crap on the machine. I don't know whether that's still the case, but you might want to Google it to see whether there are any additional steps you need to take.
    edited December 19, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I also dumped Norton a long time ago, but in those days it was not all that easy to get rid of all of its components--a simple uninstall left a lot of crap on the machine. I don't know whether that's still the case, but you might want to Google it to see whether there are any additional steps you need to take.

As I remeber, and this was weeks ago :D, I did have to uninstall a few other "Norton" files when I removed Norton from my computer. So you may have to look around a bit even after you do an uninstall and even though it asks to remove all associated files. Imagine that!
    edited December 19, 2007
    Thanks all for the input.

I'm gonna try NOD32. I like the idea of having a say in how it affects my machine like Harlan Bear said.

In regards to Norton, I've uninstalled but.... Any resources for manually removing those stubborn files that don't go away w/ the uninstall?