Options

Light Stand for 580EX and umbrella

eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited December 15, 2007 in Accessories
I'm just getting going with off camera lighting and need some recommendations. I recently got a Canon 580 EX and in addition to using it on my camera I want to be able to use it off camera with an umbrella. Does anyone have any recommendations for light stands that will work with the 580EX and an umbrella? Also, how do you generally "connect" the off camera flash with the camera? I've read in some other forums that the ST-E2 is good for this?

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    B&H has a good kit that comes with 2-stands, 2- umbrellas (removable black backing so you can shoot thru), and 2-hotshoe mounts for $98 w/ free shipping. Granted you only need one set but at that price, you can plan for the future when you'll want to add a flash. I use them with Vivitar 285HVs and love the setup for outdoor location work. Here's the link... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425220-REG/Impact_DFUMK_Digital_Flash_Umbrella_Mount.html

The only drawback is that the umbrellas are only 32" but you can upgrade later if you think a broader light source is necessary.

As far as triggering, I'm not a Canon owner so I can't comment on the ST-E2 other than what I have heard from other posters on here. Wireless definitely has its advantages. I'm currently wired with a pc cord to one flash and firing the other off a Wein Peanut slave.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 14, 2007
    I have written a post with extensive links for Canon and non-Canon flash systems here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=70330

It is a sticky at the top of the Techniques Forum too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    The ST-E2 will let you use your flash in basically the same way you use it on camera. All auto-magically. It is an expensive little bugger at 180-ish street price, but nothing else gives you the e-TTL capability that it does. Plus it's closest competitor is the Pocket Wizard set at 165-ish a piece,but you'll need two.

The down side to the ST-E2 is that it's IR. It basicly works like a TV remote. Yes, you can use it around corners and facing the wrong direction, but it is not as reliable as the Pocket Wizards which use RF. Pocket Wizards will work from 100's of feet away, and through solid walls.

The ST-E2 will control an unlimited amount of Canon 580 and 430 flashes as long as they are in range, plus you can group flashes together on certain channels and tweak their output from the ST-E2. This gives you some flash control directly on the camera.

You will have to buy a new pocket wizard for every flash you add to your kit. Control is simply on or off.....

The Pocket Wizards are the professionals standard for flash triggering. The reason for this is that they are stone cold reliable, and they trigger anything from camera shutters to shoe flashes to studio strobes.

HTH!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    Re: St-E2 and Pocket Wizards, I own and use both, as needed.

See my post above for links re Canon and non-Canon flash links.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Try reading this. For your connection question.

There's a drop down to the side of the web page. Click on that to go to subsequent chapters.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have written a post with extensive links for Canon and non-Canon flash systems here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=70330

It is a sticky at the top of the Techniques Forum too.

And thank you for that, Pathfinder.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    B&H has a good kit that comes with 2-stands, 2- umbrellas (removable black backing so you can shoot thru), and 2-hotshoe mounts for $98 w/ free shipping....

Just the kit I'm looking for. Thanks, Travis.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Thanks all! That kit on B&H looks like a good start.