Options

Laptops.....so confusing.....why?!

nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited December 26, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, so I'm looking at getting a laptop and figured I knew enough about computers to be able to decide which one I would like to get, right? Sounds simple enough. Wrong. I have to admit, this decision has not been as easy as I thought it would be, it's been very overwhelming. :huh

While I am computer savy in the sense that I know how to make my way around the system and programs, it's the more technical stuff I know nothing about, which is the problem. I don't want to rely on the sales staff since I want honesty and advice that is not driven by a comission. I don't understand the technical terms such as 8400rpms (?) and 2.2 GH, etc. I am so lost!! Please help. :dunno

What specs should I be looking for in a laptop? I use san disk cards for my Canon 30D that are 2GB, 4GB & 8GB. I'm thinking either an Apple, Sony or HP (in that order). I would use the laptop mainly for photo-related tasks only such as burning images to CDs and some work with the software that came with my camera and later, in the future, either lightroom or adobe elements. I wouldn't be interested in printing directly from the laptop or storing the images on the laptop. Perhaps I would need an external HD? Or is it good enough to store all images on CDs? If I could keep the cost under $2000.00 that would be nice, unless there is something out there that would really warrant the extra money.

Thank you.
Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    I'm well known as an Apple enthusiast, so know my bias up front. :D

I'll tell you that one of Apple's strengths, and what many see as a weakness, is the simplicity of their product line. Unlike PCs, where you have a sea of choices, for Apple products, it's pretty easy.

I'll tell you that you'd be fine with a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Between them there are 6 models to choose from, and only 3 real differences: the displays. Sure there are other differences, but you can get 13", 15" or 17". The 15 MBP are faster, have some nice features, like the backlit keyboard, but really, I don't think any of those differences are large enough to make the decision anything past cost and screen size. The MB is a great little laptop. My son has one. It's really nice. I have the 15" MBP (1st Gen), and it's a great machine, too.

For you to put Apple in the same pile as the PCs doesn't really make sense to me. Not because I think it's better, but because you just can't compare the two camps. They are different. Each with their strengths. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    Any apple will do.....
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm well known as an Apple enthusiast, so know my bias up front. :D

I'll tell you that one of Apple's strengths, and what many see as a weakness, is the simplicity of their product line. Unlike PCs, where you have a sea of choices, for Apple products, it's pretty easy.

I'll tell you that you'd be fine with a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Between them there are 6 models to choose from, and only 3 real differences: the displays. Sure there are other differences, but you can get 13", 15" or 17". The 15 MBP are faster, have some nice features, like the backlit keyboard, but really, I don't think any of those differences are large enough to make the decision anything past cost and screen size. The MB is a great little laptop. My son has one. It's really nice. I have the 15" MBP (1st Gen), and it's a great machine, too.

For you to put Apple in the same pile as the PCs doesn't really make sense to me. Not because I think it's better, but because you just can't compare the two camps. They are different. Each with their strengths. :D

Thank you for the advice. I'm still lost though. What do you think of these ones, is the best one for me to get?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/compare/compare.asp?compage=prodlist&logon=&langid=EN&catid=23016&list=%270665000FS10096520%27%2C%270665000FS10096515%27%2C%270665000FS10089197%27%2C%270665000FS10089199%27%2C%270665000FS10096517%27&sku_id=0665000FS10089197&atab=3
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    You're buying used?

If you're buying new, buy it from store.apple.com. If you're buying used, it's a whole other can of bees. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    used?
    DavidTO wrote:
    You're buying used?

If you're buying new, buy it from store.apple.com. If you're buying used, it's a whole other can of bees. :D

headscratch.gif What do you mean used? Future shop doesn't sell new?!?!?!?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    nightspidy wrote:
    headscratch.gif What do you mean used? Future shop doesn't sell new?!?!?!?

Sorry, I didn't look close enough.

But I understand why you're confused. There are a lot of options there, presented in a jumble.

Go to the Apple store, and decide what you want there. It's laid out in a way that makes much more sense. Then, when you've decided, you can go to a place like Future Shop and see if you can get a better deal. IMO, however, you're always better off buying directly from Apple. I bought this laptop from amazon, and within 2 weeks the logic board fried. I took it to the Apple store, and they said, "Oh, we'll go back and get you a new one.....What? Oh, you bought it from Amazon? That's a different return channel, so you'd need to return it to them, or send it in for repair." Which means instead of walking out with a new one, I had to wait over a week for the repair to come back. My mind rests easier now buying directly from Apple, even if they charge a bit (not much, actually) more.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Apples
    Ok this is soooooo much better!!! Simple. 3 to pick from. So, only a few more q's.

For the DVD burner, which is better, in terms of me burning my own photo-CD's:
    8X superdrive burner or just the combo drive burner?

Also, does it really matter the HD size and memory size?

Thank you!!!
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    nightspidy wrote:
    Ok this is soooooo much better!!! Simple. 3 to pick from. So, only a few more q's.

For the DVD burner, which is better, in terms of me burning my own photo-CD's:
    8X superdrive burner or just the combo drive burner?

Also, does it really matter the HD size and memory size?

Thank you!!!

A combo drive reads DVDs, but won't burn them. I would think that you'd want the option to burn DVDs. ne_nau.gif

Yes, RAM and drive space are very important. The more the better. Especially RAM. But you can buy both after market.

Check out the RAM prices at crucial.com, and compare.

The drive, compare at macsales.com and see if it's worth it to you to upgrade yourself.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Apples
    Wow, thank you so much for all the help-it is greatly appreciated. Yes, I will definately want to be able to burn my own DVDs, not just watch them.

Stay tuned for a new apple user near you!!! :D
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    prices
    Wow, just checked out the price difference at "cruical" for the 4GB upgrade.......I am picking my jaw up off the floor. I think I will buy base macbook in white (too bad it's not pink-Laughing.gif) and I will upgrade on my own.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    nightspidy wrote:

Stay tuned for a new apple user near you!!! :D

clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    nightspidy wrote:
    (too bad it's not pink-Laughing.gif)

These protective shells are getting kind of popular. In pink if you like.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    Pink Apple
    colourbox wrote:

Woo-hoo!!! This keeps getting better and better. Thanks for the link - pink it is! wings.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 16, 2007
    Here's another option...it's the coolest laptop ever. mwink.gif
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Now that is one of the best (and unbiased) tips I've seen from David! As someone who works on both PC and Apple notebooks, I'd agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

You really have to decide what strengths/needs you are looking for, then decide from there. Apples are nice in that they don't require much "fuss" and updating or customizing-- on the other hand, if you're a bit geeky and don't mind doing that kind of stuff or messing around with settings and updates, PC's can be nice too. I'm in the latter camp, but I see plenty of Mac folks who have sleek, stream lined work flows that seem to work very well for them.

One more tip, if you do decide on a PC, I personally think Sony has a better build than HP. They're more expensive, but there's a reason. And... I'm typing this on an HP! It was cheaper, but within a week of buying it, one of the keys on the keyboard came off! eek7.gif It's been replace with no problems, but I probably should have paid more for a Sony. Just my two cents anyway.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Now that is one of the best (and unbiased) tips I've seen from David! As someone who works on both PC and Apple notebooks, I'd agree with this statement wholeheartedly.
    DavidTO wrote:
    Not because I think it's better, but because you just can't compare the two camps.
    lol3.gif I DO think Macs are better, though! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    lol3.gif I DO think Macs are better, though! :D

Yeah, that I know. And honestly, for a lot of people they clearly are. And as a PC fan, I'll admit the new OSX Leopard looks pretty cool. Leopard might just be what inspired SP3 for XP sometime next year. Hey, us PC users benefit from Macs too-- it just takes six months to a year. rolleyes1.gif

And I though I'm stoked about that, I do wonder why there will be an update to XP with Vista on the scene... headscratch.gif

• Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    Choice
    dogwood wrote:
    You really have to decide what strengths/needs you are looking for, then decide from there. Apples are nice in that they don't require much "fuss" and updating or customizing-- on the other hand, if you're a bit geeky and don't mind doing that kind of stuff or messing around with settings and updates, PC's can be nice too. I'm in the latter camp, but I see plenty of Mac folks who have sleek, stream lined work flows that seem to work very well for them.

One more tip, if you do decide on a PC, I personally think Sony has a better build than HP. They're more expensive, but there's a reason. And... I'm typing this on an HP! It was cheaper, but within a week of buying it, one of the keys on the keyboard came off! eek7.gif It's been replace with no problems, but I probably should have paid more for a Sony. Just my two cents anyway.

Thank you for the input. I did like the Sony as well, however, I'm really sold on apple. I had a chance to play around with several Macs, Sonys and and HPs today and I'm sold on the Mac for sure. I like that the Apple requires "less fuss" and it feels so intuitive and logical to me. I'm in love!!! iloveyou.gif I think I will also be getting a Mac desktop as well after the laptop.

I've used PC's all my life and generally find them to be irritating, "needy" and extremely frustrating a majority of the time. My finace on the otherhand loves our desktop PC. He's more into the technical aspect of computers, but he is admittedly a much more patient person than I will ever be! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    Awesome looking laptop
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Here's another option...it's the coolest laptop ever. mwink.gif

Sweet, that is an awesome laptop!!! I love the Victorian look that it has. :D
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Kinda clunkey though
    mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    nightspidy wrote:
    I like that the Apple requires "less fuss" and it feels so intuitive and logical to me. I'm in love!!! iloveyou.gif

That's really the most important thing then-- you can have the greatest computer in the world but if it's not intuitive or logical to you, it won't matter. It's like an automatic transmission vs. a manual transmission on a car-- if you hate shifting or can't drive without riding the clutch, it won't matter how much better a stick shift handles curvy mountain roads-- you'll still hate it. :D

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    colourbox wrote:

I have a Spek case on my Macbook Pro (red) and i love it. There is another option though http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-30-macbook.aspx

Those guys actually paint your machine - the results are stunning...the price is too. But still worth checking out if you like things thare totally "YOU"

:D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    darkdragon wrote:
    I have a Spek case on my Macbook Pro (red) and i love it. There is another option though http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-30-macbook.aspx

Those guys actually paint your machine - the results are stunning...the price is too. But still worth checking out if you like things thare totally "YOU"

:D

Ohhh, I'm loving this iloveyou.gif just not the price (you weren't kidding!):cry
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    nightspidy wrote:
    Ohhh, I'm loving this iloveyou.gif just not the price (you weren't kidding!):cry

Hi nightspidy,

We're neighbors! Here's a web site I use to check a bunch of local computer shops for computer pricing.

http://pcheck.net

It is only for stores in the Lower Mainland area. Use it to check pricing on the macbook and the accessories.

Hope it helps! Have a merry Xmas season!

• Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Hey Neighbor!!
    Newsy wrote:
    Hi nightspidy,

We're neighbors! Here's a web site I use to check a bunch of local computer shops for computer pricing.

http://pcheck.net

It is only for stores in the Lower Mainland area. Use it to check pricing on the macbook and the accessories.

Hope it helps! Have a merry Xmas season!

Thanks for the link, it's awesome. Now I can go compare prices and have a reason to go shopping!! mwink.gif