Options

SmugPostr - Fast posting to your WP blog!

hypothetichypothetic Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
Hello,

I've been working all day on a new "plugin" for WordPress, and I think (did a lot of testing, but I won't promise anything) that it's ready for the public. I say "plugin" because it doesn't really behave like most WP plugins, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Basically, what it does, is that it adds a link on your WP main page and when you click it, a box drops down from the top showing you your most recent or popular photos, your albums and in a future version, search. What's so special about that, you say? Well, it's a fast way of posting photos to your WP blog. You can do it without entering anything and it takes about three seconds. The install isn't "plugin-like". You basically just unpack the archive in your main WP folder, add four or five lines to your theme's header.php and edit a few variables (constants) inside the main plugin file. Boom. Should work.

I would love for you guys to try it out (I promise, it can't ruin your blog or your photographs. It's strictly read and insert-into-db kind of application.) But at the moment I have nowhere to put the file for the plugin, so all I can do now is offer to e-mail it to those of you who might be interested. Unless someone can host it for me, I don't really know of any other solutions. It's quite small (179KB), so your traffic won't empty your bank account.

There's a readme within the package, with four easy steps. Upon completion of those, the plugin *should* work.

Credits:
This plugin makes use of phpSmug, BoxOver, MagpieRSS and ModalBox (by extension Prototype and Script.aculo.us) If I've forgotten anything, I'll add it later.

Thanks to the authors of the aforementioned applications!

Anyway, hope you'll take the time to try it out. Feedback is always appreciated, good or bad. Thanks :barb

Comments

• Options
    hypothetichypothetic Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 9, 2007
    I've uploaded this file to MediaFire.com - the first hit on Google for "free hosting small files". Hopefully it'll work good enough.

Anyway, here's the url: WP-SmugPostr-1.0.rar

Maybe now I can get some feedback :)
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    Sounds pretty cool! Stay tuned, I'm giving it a try on my long forgotten blog.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    I'm having trouble embedding the code into my theme:
    <cript type="text/javascript" src="WP-SmugPostr/js/prototype.js"></********
        <cript type="text/javascript" src="WP-SmugPostr/js/scriptaculous.js?load=builder,effects"></********
        <cript type="text/javascript" src="WP-SmugPostr/js/modalbox.js"></********
        <cript type="text/javascript" src="WP-SmugPostr/js/boxover.js"></********
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="WP-SmugPostr/css/SmugPostr.css" type="text/css" />

My theme is located in /blog/wp-content/themes/ac-nucleus and the SmugPostr folder is in /blog/wp-smugpostr. This means I would have to use a variable to indicate the default wordpress location for the links to work. I could try to hardcode the links, but I would rather wait for the solution that will make this work with all WP installations. Any php code that could be used here?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero