Options

If I only had that D3

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited December 22, 2007 in Cameras
Hey Y'all,

I called Calumet on my pending D3 order. I placed an order for the D3 on 8/24. The Calumet dude told me that they had started taking orders for the D3 on 8/21. When they received their initial shipment of D3s they didn't make through the folks who had ordered on 8/21. :cry I was really unhappy :bash how could I take pics w/o the biggest, baddest Nikon body? :dunno

The following pics were taken with the D100, D2H, D200, and D2X. Can you tell which camera took which pic? No fair looking at the exif.

105305313-L.jpg

115774070-L-2.jpg

17015166-L.jpg

232890148-L.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited December 16, 2007
    No fair, because somebody who knew what they were doing was behind the camera.

thumb.gifthumb for the images!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Sprout CrumbleSprout Crumble Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    Excellent, especially the last one. The third one is great but I'd definitely PP out that little pointed bit of tree poking up the birds butt.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Y'all,

I called Calumet on my pending D3 order. I placed an order for the D3 on 8/24. The Calumet dude told me that they had started taking orders for the D3 on 8/21. When they received their initial shipment of D3s they didn't make through the folks who had ordered on 8/21. :cry I was really unhappy :bash how could I take pics w/o the biggest, baddest Nikon body? ne_nau.gif

The following pics were taken with the D100, D2H, D200, and D2X. Can you tell which camera took which pic? No fair looking at the exif.

harry, fear not. your d3 will arrive sooner or later. i too ordered mine from calumet and was 86 in line and received a call this past thursday that it was in and shipping. i ordered a day or so before you did; but i also pre-paid. so if you haven't fronted the cash yet, probably wouldn't hurt to do so. they're not receiving many in from nikon at this time. i'd tell you how many or rather, how few they actually got in on launch day but i'd get myself and my inside guy in trouble.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    No fair, because somebody who knew what they were doing was behind the camera.

thumb.gifthumb for the images!

Thanks Z. I know I get so caught up in new equipment that I forget that you don't need the newest toy out there to get the shots.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    I ordered mine through the local shop which I like to support. I'm #21 in line. At the rate they're receiving them, I should be able to save up to two years before having to plop down the rest of my $4999 :ivar

In the meantime, I guess being "stuck" with my measly ole' D2X ain't that bad.

Got to handle one this last Saturday at least. :D
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    Excellent, especially the last one. The third one is great but I'd definitely PP out that little pointed bit of tree poking up the birds butt.

Thanks, I usually try not to do much modifying of my wildlife shots. There are a large number of nature shooters who view this as a no-no.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    harry, fear not. your d3 will arrive sooner or later. i too ordered mine from calumet and was 86 in line and received a call this past thursday that it was in and shipping. i ordered a day or so before you did; but i also pre-paid. so if you haven't fronted the cash yet, probably wouldn't hurt to do so. they're not receiving many in from nikon at this time. i'd tell you how many or rather, how few they actually got in on launch day but i'd get myself and my inside guy in trouble.

Yeah Dan, I'll get that D3 sooner or later. My local shop called me and told me they had a D3 available but that meant paying sales tax so I passed on it. I'll just have to muddle on through with my D300 D200 and D2X in the interim.
    Harry
  • Options
    glassandgear.comglassandgear.com Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Wow, excellent shots. I know we're still waiting for our D3 to arrive as well. From the sound of it though, its probably going to be a while. I know I should really want one so that I can rent it but I don't think its going to be leaving my possession for at least a few weeks after it arrives. :D
    http://www.glassandgear.com

Professional Photography Rentals
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    I ordered mine through the local shop which I like to support. I'm #21 in line. At the rate they're receiving them, I should be able to save up to two years before having to plop down the rest of my $4999 :ivar

In the meantime, I guess being "stuck" with my measly ole' D2X ain't that bad.

Got to handle one this last Saturday at least. :D

I just love the waiting. Its nice to be able to hold onto the D2X a bit longer. I still prefer the 2X's IQ over the D300's.
    Harry
  • Options
    tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    At 9:30 this evening I received a call from the owner of Berger Brothers who told me I will be receiving a D3 on the day after Christmas! It is shipping on Monday. I was one of the first 20 on their D3 wait list.thumb.gif
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Great shots. It's the person behind the camera that makes all the difference. Give Tiger Woods a shovel and pool stick and he would still beat 99.9% of the golfers out there.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    tonyd wrote:
    At 9:30 this evening I received a call from the owner of Berger Brothers who told me I will be receiving a D3 on the day after Christmas! It is shipping on Monday. I was one of the first 20 on their D3 wait list.thumb.gif

clap.gif

That should make for a happy holiday.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    Great shots. It's the person behind the camera that makes all the difference. Give Tiger Woods a shovel and pool stick and he would still beat 99.9% of the golfers out there.

Thanks and if this thread has any point is that you don't need the newest toy out there to get the shots. Sure I'm buying one but if there was no D3 I would still be out there getting the shots.
    Harry