Options

smugmug performance boost

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 5, 2005 in SmugMug Support
i don't know what onethumb and the boyz did, but i'm noticing a *huge* increase in speed of smugmug tonight.

:bow

:thumb

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i don't know what onethumb and the boyz did, but i'm noticing a *huge* increase in speed of smugmug tonight.

bowdown.gif

thumb.gif

thanks!

We ordered new hardware on our usual timeframe to keep up with the load. Among other things, it turns out there was an Intel chipset shortage, so we had to wait longer than we planned. Nearly 2 months behind schedule, we got what we wanted.

Given the delays, we over-bought this time, so we should have (*knock on wood*) lots of breathing room. I'm not done installing it all, so you may see some hiccups, but you might also see some more speed. :)

I don't think you'll see us ever fall behind on hardware again, but our popularity has surprised us a few times, so we'll see.

On the positive side, we eked more performance out of our existing hardware than I ever thought was possible. In the long run, being forced to optimize like that was probably good for the service.

Don
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Great news and great work!
    Very happy to hear this:-)clap.gif
    onethumb wrote:
    On the positive side, we eked more performance out of our existing hardware than I ever thought was possible. In the long run, being forced to optimize like that was probably good for the service.
    That's very true. Being from ex-USSR, where labor was cheap, but hardware was extremely expensive (if availalble at all), I learned the beauty of optimization the hard way. But, as you said, it all pays up. My recent (and, as it turned out, highest:-) performance optimization score was - hold on :-) - 50,000 (!) times. And I even managed to drop memory consumption at the same time. So the process which was taking 3 days and was aborted due to the lack of system resources (never finished, essentially), now takes 45 seconds:-)). Same hardware, same everyhting, just works a little bit faster:-)

Once again, my sincere congratulations!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Wow. Speedy.

Very.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Thanks, David!
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wow. Speedy.

Very.
    To tell you the truth, I was as surprised as the next guy. I was shooting for under one hour, but when in a first attempt I got the bulk of it in 40 minutes I decided to dig a bit deeper:-) Next iteration brought the time down to 15 minutes, another one - to 4 or 5, and finaly I arrived at 45 sec. There is actually a way to squeeze a few more seconds out of it (10-15), but I decided to leave it for future, as far as at this point I really makes no difference:-)

What I especially like about this case (apart from my own record breaking score - the previous one was only 10,000:-) - the original programer was not at all a stupid guy, pretty bright, actually...

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    amcamc Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Nice work...noticeable speed increase. The site loads even before I click the bookmark. Many thanks.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Great work! Somebody turned on the booster even over here in Germany. clap.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero