Options

The suspense is killing me

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited December 22, 2007 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

I turned on my main PC Sunday night and got that lovely disk error message. Turns out my power supply went down and it took my hard drive with it. Fortunately I had up my work through October. Unfortunately I had been unable to back up my pics for the last 5 weeks (back-up hard drive was maxed out) and I had caught some really good stuff in that time too. :cry I'm having a new PC built which will be ready tomorrow but the folks in the shop have been unable to recover any data from my hard drive. I'm having the hard drive sent out to some recovery experts (or so they say) and waiting on their rather expensive diagnosis. :twitch

Anyhow here's a few pre-November shots

A GBH giving what appears to be some sort of crayfish the "Reznick Flip".
204850674-L.jpg

Anosprey with its catch uneasily sharing a perch with an ahinga
210602983-L.jpg

GBH on the hunt
229038135-L.jpg

BBWD
229038189-L.jpg

Anhinga
229038139-L.jpg

and finally for all you "poop" fans out there
229038286-L.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Amazing shots as always Harry! I can tell you that as far as your hard drive is concerned I'm sure you can find someone that can recover your data. If it was a power supply that killed the drive it was probably the electronics in the drive that got fried. There are ocmpanies that can take the actual platters out of the drive and put them on machines that can read the platters. The problem is that you will pay dearly for that. I had a friend who had a disk go down and it was sent away, it ended up costing over a grand to get all the data back. But if I was in your position I would probably go for it!

Have they quoted any prices to you yet?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Amazing shots as always Harry! I can tell you that as far as your hard drive is concerned I'm sure you can find someone that can recover your data. If it was a power supply that killed the drive it was probably the electronics in the drive that got fried. There are ocmpanies that can take the actual platters out of the drive and put them on machines that can read the platters. The problem is that you will pay dearly for that. I had a friend who had a disk go down and it was sent away, it ended up costing over a grand to get all the data back. But if I was in your position I would probably go for it!

Have they quoted any prices to you yet?

Hey Wendell,

How you're doing out there in the Northwest?

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, its going to cost me a bit. I have to pay a deposit of $255 to get the initial diagnosis and the estimate for data recovery (if possible).
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Wendell,

How you're doing out there in the Northwest?

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, its going to cost me a bit. I have to pay a deposit of $255 to get the initial diagnosis and the estimate for data recovery (if possible).

Good luck on getting your pictures back! This only makes me more determined to continue my paranoid backup scheme of keeping 3 copies around at all times! LoL

Things are going pretty good out here! I'm actually going to be down in Florida for a week and a half over Christmas. My wife and I will be at her parents in Largo, south of Tampa, from the 25th through the 4th. Any chance of meeting somewhere in the middle somewhere for a morning of shooting sometime? I woudl of course defer to your superior knowledge of Florida to determine a good place to go! lol :D
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Ouch Harry, sorry to hear about that. I hope that HD doctors will be able to help you out. Best wishes!
    Nice shots thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 18, 2007
    Great set as always, Harry. That looks like a lobster in the first shot. eek7.gif

Sorry to hear about the fried drive. I'm with Wendell that if the PS took the drive out, it's got to be an electrical problem. Hopefully the recovery company is astute enough to recognize that; an electrical repair should be a whole lot cheaper than trying to recover the data from the platter. They could just pull the circuit board off another drive. At any rate, good luck with that.

-joel
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Bummer about your drive for sure. I lost mine a year ago with everything I've ever shot prior to then, except a couple events I had on CDs, and the low-res stuff on my website. I'm STILL working on getting that back. :cry I wish I could say I've learned my lesson now and back everything up, but living out of a car, external drives are way down the priority list. rolleyes1.gif Hope you have better luck getting your data back quickly! I know how much it sucks to lose it.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    :cry 11doh.gif :flush That sucks! Hope they can get it all back for you.

Great set clap.gif That osprey and anhinga shot is a pearler!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Ouch Harry, sorry to hear about that. I hope that HD doctors will be able to help you out. Best wishes!
    Nice shots thumb.gif

Thanks Marina, have a happy holiday.
    Harry
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Great shots! I love that first one and the anhinga bif. Talk about low profile! And now you are scaring me. I need to go back up my RAW files at the very least. I hope you recover those pics.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Good luck on getting your pictures back! This only makes me more determined to continue my paranoid backup scheme of keeping 3 copies around at all times! LoL

Things are going pretty good out here! I'm actually going to be down in Florida for a week and a half over Christmas. My wife and I will be at her parents in Largo, south of Tampa, from the 25th through the 4th. Any chance of meeting somewhere in the middle somewhere for a morning of shooting sometime? I woudl of course defer to your superior knowledge of Florida to determine a good place to go! lol :D

I'm going to be in Atlanta from 12/26-12/30. I may be free 1/2 or 1/3. I'll PM you my phone #'s.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Great set as always, Harry. That looks like a lobster in the first shot. eek7.gif

Sorry to hear about the fried drive. I'm with Wendell that if the PS took the drive out, it's got to be an electrical problem. Hopefully the recovery company is astute enough to recognize that; an electrical repair should be a whole lot cheaper than trying to recover the data from the platter. They could just pull the circuit board off another drive. At any rate, good luck with that.

-joel

Thanks Joel. I'll be talking with the techs tomorrow when I pick up my new PC. I'll cover the PS with them. I do want those pics recovered. I had some really good stuff on them.
    Harry
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Sorry to hear about your loss Harry. As mentioned, you can get the data back if the platters are not damaged, but it does cost. I'm usually quick to move stuff to CD or DVD, but have been quite lax of late.

Nice set you got there, and love the flip in the first thumb.gif
  • Options
    kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Really nice set Harry. Great flight shots and the first one of the GBH is the perfect timely capture.

Thanks for sharing.

Shane
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    I'm going to be in Atlanta from 12/26-12/30. I may be free 1/2 or 1/3. I'll PM you my phone #'s.

Sounds good Harry! Be sure and keep us up to date on what happens with your HD and how much it costs! I'll be curious to know how it goes down!
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Bummer about your drive for sure. I lost mine a year ago with everything I've ever shot prior to then, except a couple events I had on CDs, and the low-res stuff on my website. I'm STILL working on getting that back. :cry I wish I could say I've learned my lesson now and back everything up, but living out of a car, external drives are way down the priority list. rolleyes1.gif Hope you have better luck getting your data back quickly! I know how much it sucks to lose it.

It is a bummer. My next purchase is going to be a TB backup drive.
    Harry
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Knowing your hard drive might be gone is definitely a feeling that makes me feel watery in my lower torso...sorry for your troubles, Harry. Luckily you have plenty of outstanding pre-November pictures!
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    :cry 11doh.gif :flush That sucks! Hope they can get it all back for you.

Great set clap.gif That osprey and anhinga shot is a pearler!thumb.gif

Thanks Mike. The drive is off to the lab I should know in around a week or so if they can recover the pics.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    Great shots! I love that first one and the anhinga bif. Talk about low profile! And now you are scaring me. I need to go back up my RAW files at the very least. I hope you recover those pics.

Thanks Stephen and go back up your shots.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your loss Harry. As mentioned, you can get the data back if the platters are not damaged, but it does cost. I'm usually quick to move stuff to CD or DVD, but have been quite lax of late.

Nice set you got there, and love the flip in the first thumb.gif

Thaks Al and you're right it does cost. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    Really nice set Harry. Great flight shots and the first one of the GBH is the perfect timely capture.

Thanks for sharing.

Shane

Thank you Shane
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    Knowing your hard drive might be gone is definitely a feeling that makes me feel watery in my lower torso...sorry for your troubles, Harry. Luckily you have plenty of outstanding pre-November pictures!

Thanks Jen and with a little bit of luck I'll be able to share my Nov pics.
    Harry
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Great shots Harry! Hope your hard drive gets repaired soon!

You've got to keep those squirrels out of your computer!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    great shots Harry
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave