Options

Check out Butte (Beaut) Montana!

ArchiveHughArchiveHugh Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited March 22, 2004 in Technique
My site is composed of movie film images... (not quality photos) but looking through the eye's of a movie camera from the 30's to present day. When I start taking quality photos I'll be back. www.archivehugh.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    Where? headscratch.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    Hey Hugh, in case yer runin' into trouble posting pics, check out this thread.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    The Richest Hill on Earth!
    The composition is all wrong, and the exposure is dreadful too. I would reshoot this photo right away ;-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    The composition is all wrong, and the exposure is dreadful too. I would reshoot this photo right away ;-)

I'll bet waxy could improve it with some surgical cropping. thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I'll bet waxy could improve it with some surgical cropping. thumb.gif
    While we wait for that one, here is my version of how I would edit the photo:

I used levels to make the exposure better, and as you mentioned, did some pretty heavy cropping too. If I had the time, I would do some cloning of the distracting parts left in the upper crosswise part of the image to finish it off :D
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    I used levels to make the exposure better, and as you mentioned, did some pretty heavy cropping too. If I had the time, I would do some cloning of the distracting parts left in the upper crosswise part of the image to finish it off :D
    That's really nice, Shay. I like it. I decided to take the time to clone out the parts you mentioned and gave it just a slight gausian blur, since the bokeh was kinda rough. I also pumped up the saturation just a little. Here's my version:

Not a bad image at this point, huh?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    fish wrote:
    That's really nice, Shay. I like it. I decided to take the time to clone out the parts you mentioned and gave it just a slight gausian blur, since the bokeh was kinda rough. I also pumped up the saturation just a little. Here's my version:

Not a bad image at this point, huh?
    Truly, a work of art without equal! Hats off to you. If I may be so bold, the gaussian blur was pure genius.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    Truly, a work of art without equal! Hats off to you. If I may be so bold, the gaussian blur was pure genius.
    Why thank you, my good man. I couldn't have done it without your expert work with levels and cropping.

:encore
  • Options
    TJAmyTJAmy Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    You two are too funny!
    fish wrote:
    Why thank you, my good man. I couldn't have done it without your expert work with levels and cropping.

:encore
    You should take your act on the road.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I added a little lens flare to it... brightens up a tad don't ya think??
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    Thanks!
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey Hugh, in case yer runin' into trouble posting pics, check out this thread.
    thanks for your info. I'm a beginner as you can see. Once again thanks!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    Hi Archive, we are mostly beginners here and as you can see most of us don't seem to have a life... looking forward to seeing your posts.. feel free to critique mine as they are usually pretty crappy.
    Welcome to the forum it's a fun and educational place.
    Lynnwave.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2004
    No worries. I was going through your Butte stuff this morning. Very interesting. For some reason, I'm surprised at how old the buildings are.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2004
    thanks for the warm welcome
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Archive, we are mostly beginners here and as you can see most of us don't seem to have a life... looking forward to seeing your posts.. feel free to critique mine as they are usually pretty crappy.
    Welcome to the forum it's a fun and educational place.
    Lynnwave.gif
    It's nice people like you that make this a better world. I feel that I'm in kind of the wrong place (on this forum) because my images are taken off of home movie film and not pictures. But... my quest is to expose the scenes of yesteryear and to tell the story of Butte, Montana. Thanks.
    Hugh
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2004
    Historic Butte
    wxwax wrote:
    No worries. I was going through your Butte stuff this morning. Very interesting. For some reason, I'm surprised at how old the buildings are.
    Butte was started in the 1860's I believe. You went from New York to Chicago to Butte to Seattle at the turn of the century. The old buildings and old things around town still never cease to amaze me. Truly an unforgettable town. Thanks for checking out my site. More than 17 years of collecting and gathering footage!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2004
    Wow! bowdown.gif That's remarkable dedication to a project. And thanks for the quick history of Butte. Once again, I had no idea.

By the way, Lynn's posting from the Women's Cellblock of the Framingham State Prison, where's she's doing 20-to-Life for bludgeoning a rude bus conductor with his ticket puncher.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow! bowdown.gif That's remarkable dedication to a project. And thanks for the quick history of Butte. Once again, I had no idea.

By the way, Lynn's posting from the Women's Cellblock of the Framingham State Prison, where's she's doing 20-to-Life for bludgeoning a rude bus conductor with his ticket puncher.
    gulp...shut my mouth
  • Options
    Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    You should take your act on the road.
    Please don't feed the fish umph.gif