Options

Looking for a CHEAP starter strobe kit

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited December 21, 2007 in Accessories
In the next few months I'm going to be looking at getting a cheap studio strobe kit. I'm only going to be using it for friends and family, and since this is my first foray into studio photography I want to keep it cheap. REALLY cheap! I have my eye on a kit like this for $250.

V-135T-2T.jpg

Now I know there will be people crying foul because of how cheap this is and saying it would be better for me to get more expensive up front. THat just isn't the route I'm looking to go. I might try this, realize that studio photography isn't for me, and that will be it! I guess I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this would work (I'm not saying be great) for a starter kit for someone like me?

Also, right now I have the Rebel XTi, and the 420EX flash. Obviously I would need some way to trigger the strobes. What would the cheapest way for me to go about doing this be?I don't mind having wires running around!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    The Strobist
    It's hard to go wrong with the recommendations on The Strobist blog.

It sounds like you may be looking for the info in the section called Lighting 101.

GS
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    i agree w/ george. head on over to the strobist website and check 'em out for some lighting tips. i'd advise against kits like the one you pictured as many of them simply do not output much power at all. you'll find yourself shooting wide open just to get enough light in. many photographers, including many at the strobist go with old school vivitar 285 flash units.

of course, i'll say it: get the best gear you can get... occasionally, i've seen deals on used strobe units on ebay. do searches for used + "alien bees" "fotodiox" "calumet"

good luck!
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    just like you said, here i go....

i almost got the cheap system, then changed my mind and
    i went with the more expensive system.

i paid four time more, but got 100 times the quality...

just my .02
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Read Strobist before spending any money. I think for the work you say you want to do you don't need to spend a lot. For less than $300 I have 2 light stands, umbrellas, gels, Cactus wireless triggers, and 2 Vivitar 285HV flash heads. My 1 580EX cost so much more than all that put together.

Take a look at the work shown in the Strobist pool on Flickr to get an idea of what's possible with very low cost gear, a lot of it DIY.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    Read Strobist before spending any money. I think for the work you say you want to do you don't need to spend a lot. For less than $300 I have 2 light stands, umbrellas, gels, Cactus wireless triggers, and 2 Vivitar 285HV flash heads. My 1 580EX cost so much more than all that put together.

Take a look at the work shown in the Strobist pool on Flickr to get an idea of what's possible with very low cost gear, a lot of it DIY.

Would you mind putting where you got each piece of your kit for how much?
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:

midwest photo exchange has several strobist kits
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:

Take a look at MPEX's Strobist Kits page.

1. I started with the "Starving Student Household Kit (SH2)", which does not come with the flash for $139
    2. I bought 1 Vivitar 285HV on eBay for $65
    3. I bought 1 Vivitar 285HV from a friend for $25
    4. I made a second light stand out of PVC for about $5
    5. I bought 1 Cactus wireless trigger transmitter and 2 receivers for $50

Total cost for equipment = $279.00 Add on shipping and all that comes to $350 at the most, so I was off on my "less than $300" claim.

Including my 580EX, I have a 3 strobe setup. Now, the sad part is I have no time to use it!!!!
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited December 21, 2007
    Great information Terrence! thumb.gif

Thanks for taking the time to put that list together.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums