Options

Neighborhood lights

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited December 19, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
(Ok, just fair warning: this is a "Cool Shot" because of the subject, not because of any kind of skill on the part of the photographer.)

I suspect every community has at least one person who doesn't just get excited about Christmas, but goes just a little over the top. These folks start in August, and you can read about them here.

Front of house (looks pretty normal, right?)
230584746-M.jpg

Walk around the corner (still not too over the top ...)
230584546-M.jpg

Then you look down and see this:
230585382-M.jpg

Another view:
230585745-M.jpg

Then there's the back yard! :D
230586419-M.jpg

More of the backyard ...
230582796-M.jpg

230584157-M.jpg

Thanks for looking, and Merry Christmas!

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    (Ok, just fair warning: this is a "Cool Shot" because of the subject, not because of any kind of skill on the part of the photographer.)

I suspect every community has at least one person who doesn't just get excited about Christmas, but goes just a little over the top. These folks start in August, and you can read about them here.

Front of house (looks pretty normal, right?)
    Walk around the corner (still not too over the top ...)
    Then you look down and see this:
    Another view:
    Then there's the back yard! :D
    More of the backyard ...
    Thanks for looking, and Merry Christmas!

Ohhhhhhhh boy they really go overboard don't they eek7.gif
    Having snow makes a huge difference to how these decorations come across.

Unfortunately most people miss the Message of what Christmas is all about.
    I like the first and the second shots in this series.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    those people are amateurs, there is this one house in the next town over that has to leave the lights up all year round because it took so long to put them up. i still swear they have to call the FAA before turning them on, i could see their house being brighter than nearby airports.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Yeah, they may be just a wee bit over the top. You did a good job of showing it too.

I'm glad I'm not paying the light bill.
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    christopherstudiochristopherstudio Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    i think they are scared of the dark!
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhhhh boy they really go overboard don't they eek7.gif
    Having snow makes a huge difference to how these decorations come across.

Unfortunately most people miss the Message of what Christmas is all about.
    I like the first and the second shots in this series.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Interesting, because the first two I did something very different than the other ones. As you can guess, white balancing this was ... a problem. :cry

I eventually stumbled on the following: drop the Vibrancy slider in my raw editor (I used Bibble) to -100%. If I understand how it works, this had the effect of turning everything below a certain saturation level into a black and white, but left the bright colors of the lights alone. The first two shots in my series did this. I dropped the vibrancy on the other shots, but not by as much.

Another thing I learned: shoot RAW if you can, because white balancing a scene like this is ayayyay! If you can't shoot raw, shoot with the white balance set to tungsten. It'll be close.

Finally, I'd like to say that the Coles were very gracious to everyone who came by the house that night. They gave out candy canes to the children and were charming and friendly to everyone who stopped by.

Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    OhEddie wrote:
    Yeah, they may be just a wee bit over the top. You did a good job of showing it too.

I'm glad I'm not paying the light bill.

now that i finally found this thread. this is in my town about 10 mins from my house
    2119521964_7e5efbda7f.jpg?v=0
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com