Options

3D Arcrylic/Metal/Canvas

leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
edited December 20, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
An artist friend asked me to capture one of her projects, and wanted me to try and show the three dimensional aspect of the metal shavings. This project utilizes acrylic paints, canvas, and metal shavings from another friends welding/fabrication shop. Even the abalone colored pieces of the womans body are shavings.

For me this was so much fun to work on in PP, because I was able to spend time with it, and really delve into the symbolism of this piece.

I am overwhelmed with the symbolism of the woman chained to the door, the open door behind her, her beaconing hand, 'the yellow brick road', the entity she will have to circle (if freed from the bondage), the entity itself, with it's single wing, and horns (good/evil obstacle/encouragement), the window...oh, so much to think about in this one.

NO TITLE
234224816-L.jpg
Needless to say, I now own it. I wouldn't mind hearing others analysis of the piece.

This was also the first time I actually hung out with curves and levels and studied the RGB numbers, and played. I figured it would be a good place to start, with such nice pigments, so any CC about my PP would be appreciated. What could I have done to make the metal shavings (copper/silver) stand out more from the canvas. More light for shadows? (I can re shoot since I own it).

Here is the before, 'as shot'. It just doesn't do it for me like the real thing.
234232111-L.jpg
Growing with Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    An artist friend asked me to capture one of her projects, and wanted me to try and show the three dimensional aspect of the metal shavings. This project utilizes acrylic paints, canvas, and metal shavings from another friends welding/fabrication shop. Even the abalone colored pieces of the womans body are shavings.

For me this was so much fun to work on in PP, because I was able to spend time with it, and really dwelve into the symbolism of this piece.

I am overwhelmed with the symbolism of the woman chained to the door, the open door behind her, her beaconing hand, 'the yellow brick road', the entity she will have to circle (if freed from the bondage), the entity itself, with it's single wing, and horns (good/evil obstacle/encouragement), the window...oh, so much to think about in this one.

NO TITLE

Needless to say, I now own it. I wouldn't mind hearing others analysis of the piece.

This was also the first time I actually hung out with curves and levels and studied the RGB numbers, and played. I figured it would be a good place to start, with such nice pigments, so any CC about my PP would be appreciated. What could I have done to make the metal shavings (copper/silver) stand out more from the canvas. More light for shadows? (I can re shoot since I own it).

Here is the before, 'as shot'. It just doesn't do it for me like the real thing.

This is why I don't like abstract Art......
    I always have to have the images explained to me,
    because I can never look at this type of Art form and come up with the story.

Abstract to me, is something the creater is more connected with,
    than those who view it. (my own opinion here)

Your after shot of the image is much more colourful,
    and has more impact.

Glad you posted the before shot because you can really see the difference.
    I like your edited version much better.

Well Done! Leaforte thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin