Where to Rent?

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
edited November 4, 2014 in Cameras
As cameras, lenses and acessories get more and more expensive, there is often a need to rent equipment needed to fulfill a short or moderate term of use. If you've had an experience with one of the rental houses that exist, good or bad, we want to hear about it right here, in this thread.

To kick things off I would like to remind folks that http://www.borrowlenses.com/ and
http://www.glassandgear.com are Digital Grin vendors and both offer rental photographic equipment.

Thanks,
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    I usually go to one of my local shops, Penn Camera, especially for big telephoto lenses. I have also used an online service, rentglass.com, and was pleased with their process and service.
    Tim
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Hi Ziggy,

Thank you for posting on a topic that's so near and dear to my heart :) Also, thank you for our mention in the post.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Max and I am the owner of BorrowLenses.com. We have been working with DGrinners and SmugMuggers for a while now and we'd like to thank the many of you who have utilized our services (check out the signature for more info). Also, as SmugMug members, you guys are entitled to a special discount. Visit ClubSmug for more details.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions regarding our services. I will monitor this thread to see if there are any queries.

Thanks,
    Max
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    I recently rented two lenses from BorrowedLenses to shoot a banquet. I have nothing but praise for their operation. The lenses were in prime condition, the shipping to and from them was as easy as can be. I also found their prices to be reasonable. I will be doing some repeat business with them very soon.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    I'm going to throw my voice behind BorrowLenses here. I needed a lens for the trip to Japan and it ended up being very last minute. Max was VERY helpful and worked with me on making arrangements to get the lens both to Baltimore and back from Baltimore in a VERY timely fashion. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Oh yeah, and I rented the 24-105L and it was in PRISTINE condition. Very happy with the whole experience.

I haven't rented from anyone else other than Service Photo here in B-more, and their Canon lens selection is very limited.
    Travis
  • mmtorunommtoruno Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Never Fear, BorrowLenses Is Here
    I used to rent from my local Pro Camera Store. I now only rent from BorrowLenses.

These guys THE BEST! If you ever need to rent any equipment do not think twice. Call Max or Mark or better yet, just book it online.

The equipment selection is growing by the minute (Canon/Nikon), the clientele is growing and they still treat you like you are borrowing a lense from a friend.

Great job guys:thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

P.S. For the record this was totally unsolicited!
  • glassandgear.comglassandgear.com Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Hi Ziggy,

Thanks for the mention, to introduce myself my name is Jason and I'm the owner of GlassAndGear.com. I feel like I'm crashing the thread with all of the borrowlenses.com love going around but having spoken with Max shortly after we opened I can certainly see why they are so highly regarded. I'd certainly have no hesitation sending people their way if I couldn't help them.

We offer a 5% discount to users of dgrin and while I normally just give out a coupon code it may be easier to send me a PM and I can add you to a special pricing group so that you don't need to deal with coupon codes.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to post them here, call or email us.

Thanks,
    Jason
    http://www.glassandgear.com

Professional Photography Rentals
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    I'm a brick and mortar kind of person
    I have to endorse Penn Camera (at least their Tysons Corner store) in the Washington DC area).
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    For The Canadian Contingent
    I have rented from Vistek for many years now and have never had a bad experinence. Stores now in Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto and Mississauga.
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    I had the pleasure of exchanging emails with Borrowed Lenses and found the chat to be so enjoyable I forgot we were talking business! Looking at the page I feel the prices are very fair. I used to rent a 400/2.8 at $150. per day so when I get back to the USA I will be renting!
  • kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    I have found Lensrentals.com to be really good. The shipping is fast and customer support it great
    Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    I used rentglass.com once...

I was very happy with them. Lens came in perfect shape, quicker than i expected (from florida). No hassle, good experience, a bit cheaper than I could find that lens elsewhere.

Dave
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    So far I've only used two of the local shops here in town, ProCamera and the local branch of Calumet. Pro Camera is nicer and usually cheaper, but Calumet is a more convenient location from me. Been meaning to throw some business towards BorrowLenses, since they're local folks and because they have some stuff that the others don't carry (kinky stuff like Bigmas and other off brand stuff that I'd lke to try before I buy).
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • elw9514elw9514 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2008
    I use LensRentals.com quite often, and have been very pleased with them.
  • mmtorunommtoruno Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    TylerW wrote:
    Been meaning to throw some business towards BorrowLenses, since they're local folks and because they have some stuff that the others don't carry (kinky stuff like Bigmas and other off brand stuff that I'd lke to try before I buy).

You'd be glad you did. These guys are great!
  • cameraguy64cameraguy64 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Rent or Buy
    I am going on one of the gapweb photo workshops in April and am trying to decide what equipment to rent or to buy. I currently have a 20-200mm lens by canon for my rebel xti. I am switching my XTI out for a 40d before this trip. I also have the 18-55 standard lens that came with the XTI. If I were to rent lenses, what would be the smartest move? What would be the smartest to buy? I have read good things about the Canon 100-400 lens. Not to mention it is REALLY cheap on amazon at the moment. Any tips would be appreciated.

Check out my work, I'm 15: http://robchronphotography.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited February 26, 2008
    I am going on one of the gapweb photo workshops in April and am trying to decide what equipment to rent or to buy. I currently have a 20-200mm lens by canon for my rebel xti. I am switching my XTI out for a 40d before this trip. I also have the 18-55 standard lens that came with the XTI. If I were to rent lenses, what would be the smartest move? What would be the smartest to buy? I have read good things about the Canon 100-400 lens. Not to mention it is REALLY cheap on amazon at the moment. Any tips would be appreciated.

Check out my work, I'm 15: http://robchronphotography.smugmug.com

I've never heard of a Canon 20-200mm lens?

Perhaps you mean the Canon EF 28-200mm, f/3.5-5.6 USM?

The first thing I would recommend is to contact the organizers of the workshop to see what "they" recommend you bring to the workshop.

The Canon EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM is a very versatile long zoom, mostly suitable for outdoor wildlife and outdoor event photography (IMO). Another option with a bit more range is the Sigma 50-500mm, f/4-6.3 EX DG APO RF HSM "Bigma", which you would either love or hate. It lacks IS, so careful technique and/or tripod is required.

As for Amazon, the best price I found for the Canon EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM is just above $1400. If you think that's "REALLY cheap", I'd like to know what you consider expensive? :D

If you need this just for the workshop, and to decide if you really want to buy the lens, just rent for now because that's not a trivial purchase and I really think you might consider a better "standard" zoom than the "kit" lens you own currently as a better purchase.
    ziggy53
  • AlaskanDaveAlaskanDave Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    If you're anywhere around the Pacific Northwest or Alaska it Glazers Camera in Seattle....first class rental department and good prices

Very knowledgeable Nikon & Canon specific sales associates.

Rental link at top...PDF with items available & pricing...
    http://www.glazerscamera.com/

1-888-531-3232
    D300, D200 & D70s...Nikon 200-400VR, Nikon 80-200 AF-S, Nikon 70-300VR, Nikon AF-S 18-70, Tamron 28-300VC & Tokina 12-24.....JVC HD6
    http://alaskandave.smugmug.com/
  • S-ManS-Man Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    If you're in Houston like me and want to rent lenses locally, the only place I know of is www.LightTec.com
    I haven't rented one yet, but I did reserve one for April.
    Prices aren't bad considering you don't have to ship (if you're a local).
    We'll see how their service is...rolleyes1.gif
    Sam
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Pro-Photo Connection
    I live and shoot in So Cal. Every time I have needed anything for my camera Pro Photo Connection has had it. They have a huge selection of lenses and cameras to rent. They also rent full lighting set ups, pocket wizrads, flashes, backdrops, etc.... I would highly recomend them to anyone in and around the OC area of SoCal.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Phatman113Phatman113 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Borrowlenses.com
    I've used BorrowLenses.com once and am currently ordering from them again. I've got nothing but good things to say, they're always very friendly and even offered a little advice during my first order. The glass was good quality and well taken care of. Shipping was inexpensive, but expedient.

Anyone that's considering it should at least give these guys a shot, they've surpassed my expectations and I'll definitely go back to them.

~Ryan
    http://phatman113.smugmug.com
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi :lust
    - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM lens :lust
    - Kit lens...:cry
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I live and shoot in So Cal. Every time I have needed anything for my camera Pro Photo Connection has had it. They have a huge selection of lenses and cameras to rent. They also rent full lighting set ups, pocket wizrads, flashes, backdrops, etc.... I would highly recomend them to anyone in and around the OC area of SoCal.

Second that. Great place in general. If they don't have it, you also have Samy's & Calumet a bit north on the 55 and (believe it or not) Cal's at reasonable prices on Newport a bit past the south end of the 55.
  • keeprightkeepright Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    I've been hearing good things about prophotorental.com, and they rent Olympus gear as well.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Pictureline is fabulous. I have been renting from them for years:
    http://www.pictureline.com

I have picked up equipment from them for years as I frequently have shoots in Salt Lake City. However, they do ship as well.
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    I have rented from lensrentals.com and had wonderful experience. They were very helpful, prices were fair, selection was large, shipping was painless, and my equipment arrived early! I have to sing their praises.clap.gif

Wes
  • dpollittdpollitt Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Lensrentals.com!
    I'll agree with Wes here, I have rented from LensRentals.com 5 or 6 times now, and have had nothing but a perfect experience with them! If I rent a lens for 2 weeks, they will let me reserve it ahead of time. The shipping is so fast that many times it arrives a day or two earlier, and I just get to have it for those extra days without sending it back early.
    The lenses have always been in top condition, without a single scratch. I swear some of the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS copies I have got from them were brand new!
    The company is very personable, always sending you friendly reminders when they receive the item back. They also have been very accommodating to allow me to do FedEx pickup at location, so I don't have to worry about being home to sign for a $2,000 lens! thumb.gif
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Clixphoto wrote:
    I have rented from lensrentals.com and had wonderful experience. They were very helpful, prices were fair, selection was large, shipping was painless, and my equipment arrived early! I have to sing their praises.clap.gif

Wes

good to know, a friend of mine just rented from them and is waiting on the delivery :) I was coming on to ask about them, and here it is! :)
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I live in Southern California and I am lucky enough to be able to rent from multiple locations of Samy's Camera. I have rented lenses, bodies, Quantum Turbo's, backdrop stands, etc, etc, etc...their Friday policy is the best. Pickup Friday after 3 and return Monday by 11 for a one day charge!!! thumb.gif
  • slrshooterslrshooter Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2008

The only problem I can find with them is they don't rent the big glass. I travel to SoCal to visit my son and would like to rent Nikon 400 to 600mm lens. No one locally, at least that I can find, rents them. So, I use BorrowLens or others like them. Would really like to find a local camera shop but can't.ne_nau.gif
    Norm (SLRShooter)
    Nikon shooter since 1965
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Just an FYI, watch your orders!
    Just a heads up: If you are ordering from BorrowLenses.com, at least in the next week or two, keep an eye on your order and specifically, the shipping.

I pulled up my tracking info yesterday (sadly, after hours), only to find the shipment was going to Florida! After looking into it a bit, I realized it wasn't my order, but I couldn't find my order's tracking number!

So, I called today and got a very friendly guy, who tried to help, but admitted he wasn't in the shipping department and couldn't really help me. He did get me a call from someone in the department shortly after they got in, which was nice.

The bad news is, my order was NEVER SHIPPED! Apparently, they did a decent overhaul of their systems, so I fell through the cracks (the first one to do so I'm told ne_nau.gif).

As a testament to their service though, the kind lady immediately got me overnight shipping so I'll have the package tomorrow, and better yet, she let me deliver to a slightly non-standard location which means I can avoid dealing with my university's ABSURD shipping department (aka, they get a package at 9am, and I see it by 5 pm two days after they receive it)!

So, all in all, still a great place to work with, just make sure you track your order carefully and leave a little padding on the edges of your rental period!

Best of luck,
    ~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited October 29, 2008
    Just a heads up: If you are ordering from BorrowLenses.com, at least in the next week or two, keep an eye on your order and specifically, the shipping.

I pulled up my tracking info yesterday (sadly, after hours), only to find the shipment was going to Florida! After looking into it a bit, I realized it wasn't my order, but I couldn't find my order's tracking number!

So, I called today and got a very friendly guy, who tried to help, but admitted he wasn't in the shipping department and couldn't really help me. He did get me a call from someone in the department shortly after they got in, which was nice.

The bad news is, my order was NEVER SHIPPED! Apparently, they did a decent overhaul of their systems, so I fell through the cracks (the first one to do so I'm told ne_nau.gif).

As a testament to their service though, the kind lady immediately got me overnight shipping so I'll have the package tomorrow, and better yet, she let me deliver to a slightly non-standard location which means I can avoid dealing with my university's ABSURD shipping department (aka, they get a package at 9am, and I see it by 5 pm two days after they receive it)!

So, all in all, still a great place to work with, just make sure you track your order carefully and leave a little padding on the edges of your rental period!

Best of luck,
    ~Nick

Nick,

Sorry to hear there was a problem but great to see BorrowLenses step things up and try to make things right with you. Stuff happens but it's nice to know they didn't just make excuses. Hopefully it will work out for you.
    ziggy53