Options

Nikon D1-D2H-F5

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in Cameras
My last Nikon SLR was a F5 and I am considering purchasing a digital SLR. I have always leaned towards Canon, however, after playing with a 20D I found myself totally unimpressed. Since the F5 is my base point for Nikon I would like some comparison from someone who has owned a F5 and ethere a D1 or D2H as those are what I am really looking into at the moment.

James.

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    You might be getting into 1Dmkii price territory here. Do you already have Canon lenses? Nikon? What was wrong the the D20? Have you tried D70?

I don't want to confuse you, but shopping for a new camera should be fun! Take advantage of every possible momemnt of it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I have tried both the D70 and D100, I did not like them at all. Money is the issue with the D2X, thus the reason for looking at a D2H or D1, I am oviously not opposed to buying used, I am just looking to compare the D1 or D2H to a camera that I know. I sold all my Nikon stuff at once, and all my Canon lenses are old, so ether way I am starting from scratch. Speed of repeat shots is a big issue for me, and 4MP does not sound that bad to me, I would love to find someone who is going to a D2X and wants to shed that old D2H or D1 because it is long in the tooth. How does the D1 stack up in Frame rate for extended high speed shots in the real world? (raceing/sports) and how do the features of the D1 or D2H compair to the F5? The D70/D100 were totally unacceptable in the frame rate dept, the D1H sounds ok at five, but how does it really feel in real life?

James.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I dug around on ebay and FM for a used 1dmkii. Made me feel pretty good about mine, prices pretty firm. But I did find this. Maybe it would be wotth yanking this guy's chain a little. From your descriptions, this is the camera you actually want (even if you can't afford it.) Why not consider a 1d if this is out of your budget?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/189446/0#1564592
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I had three F5s for use, and they are the best film camera around IMHO. For digital I went with the D100 and D2H. I had issues with both of them. That's the thing with digital, you have to release it right away because it is basically a computer and they just get older, not classier. I think they got rushed. With film you can take another year to develop the camera. The D1 and D2 series are built close to the F5, they are tough as nails. I think the bigest vulnerability of the D2 series is the large LCD screen on the back, just asking to be broken.

Long live the F5!