Options

Is it my camera?

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in Cameras
I've got a 6mp Fuji Finepix F700 that serves me quite nicely most of the time. I've noticed, however, since joining this forum, that a lot of people's pics are incredibly crisp. When I look at my photos at 100%, everything is soft. Not blurry mind you, just when I compare them to pics here, they're really soft. Is this just because you guys have better cameras, or is it something I'm doing wrong, or maybe not doing?
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    I've got a 6mp Fuji Finepix F700 that serves me quite nicely most of the time. I've noticed, however, since joining this forum, that a lot of people's pics are incredibly crisp. When I look at my photos at 100%, everything is soft. Not blurry mind you, just when I compare them to pics here, they're really soft. Is this just because you guys have better cameras, or is it something I'm doing wrong, or maybe not doing?

ne_nau.gif

can you post a couple of examples?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    How long have you been using the camera ?

I found that the longer i had my olympus the better shots i could get with it as i learnt its sweet spots etc.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    The secret to crisp images is post processing. Using "unsharp mask" is a must for getting that final level of sharpness in any photo (for print or onscreen).
    coldclimb wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    The secret to crisp images is post processing. Using "unsharp mask" is a must for getting that final level of sharpness in any photo (for print or onscreen).

further...please take note of Shay's signature. That says a LOT.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Hey thanks for the speedy replies all. I figured it's probably just something I don't know how to do yet, since the camera is pretty decent Attached is a cropped section of a pic shown at 100%, and unedited other than cropping. Shows what I'm referring to rather well. Hope this helps ya figure out what I need to do.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    Hey thanks for the speedy replies all. I figured it's probably just something I don't know how to do yet, since the camera is pretty decent Attached is a cropped section of a pic shown at 100%, and unedited other than cropping. Shows what I'm referring to rather well. Hope this helps ya figure out what I need to do.
    Guess what. IT IS THE CAMERA. the Fuji Finepix F700 is marketed as a 6mp camera but it is really 3.1mp. The image shouts "interpolation" to me so that was the first thing I checked.

URL
    The Fuji FinePix F700 is billed as a 6-megapixel camera, but is it really? Even though the camera can create 6-megapixel images with its new SuperCCD SR sensor, the sensor's dual pixel design (3.1 million pixels for dark areas and 3.1 million for bright areas) have prompted many reviewers to point out that in reality the F700 is just a 3.1-megapixel camera. This controversy aside, the camera produces top-notch video and offers impressive speed.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    it's likely a combination of user and camera. but more user.

when shooting, use the evf, and keep make your elbows touch your nipples. learn to control your breathing. learn to use the manual or semi-manual modes of your camera, where you can choose the shutterspeed (faster = less chance of camera shake). practice squeezing not hammering the shutter.

learn proper in-post techniques, starting with shay's excellent tute on the unsharp mask.

shay on the use of unsharp mask

hth,
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's likely a combination of user and camera. but more user.

when shooting, use the evf, and keep make your elbows touch your nipples. learn to control your breathing. learn to use the manual or semi-manual modes of your camera, where you can choose the shutterspeed (faster = less chance of camera shake). practice squeezing not hammering the shutter.

learn proper in-post techniques, starting with shay's excellent tute on the unsharp mask.

shay on the use of unsharp mask

hth,
    Andy;
    I agree that there are some user issues with that image with exposure and maybe with focusing, but the interpolation of pixels is so overriding as to not even let us know if the image was in best focus or not. If the camera has a 3mp resolution mode for shoooting then it should be set at that.

USM works by doing a matrix multiply weighted toward the original pixel value with the size of the matrix determined by the diameter argument. (note over simplification for space and time reasons) Thus USM degrades actual image information. If he just applies 'post' to the interpolated images the result will be a lot worse than shooting in the camera's actual resolution and removing the in-camera interpolation, and then looking at various post issues. (IMHO)
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    Guess what. IT IS THE CAMERA.
    I disagree. The F700 is perfectly capable of making good-looking images.

030814-1438-23.jpg

Who cares if it's only 3mp?
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I disagree. The F700 is perfectly capable of making good-looking images.

Who cares if it's only 3mp?
    3mp is fine just don't interpolate it up to 6mp and pretend it has the same resolution as a 6mp dcam. Most of my favourite shots were with my 2mp DCS520.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    Andy;
    I agree that there are some user issues with that image with exposure and maybe with focusing, but the interpolation of pixels is so overriding as to not even let us know if the image was in best focus or not. If the camera has a 3mp resolution mode for shoooting then it should be set at that.

USM works by doing a matrix multiply weighted toward the original pixel value with the size of the matrix determined by the diameter argument. (note over simplification for space and time reasons) Thus USM degrades actual image information. If he just applies 'post' to the interpolated images the result will be a lot worse than shooting in the camera's actual resolution and removing the in-camera interpolation, and then looking at various post issues. (IMHO)

charlie,

headscratch.gif one of the probs with your post is that it goes over about 80% of folks' heads. it's too much info. for most folks here, usm is just fine. and for the pic in question, i'm certain some curves, and usm (better yet, usm selectively applied, with layer masks) could benefit it.

how are the reflections in the far east?
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    charlie,

headscratch.gif one of the probs with your post is that it goes over about 80% of folks' heads. it's too much info. for most folks here, usm is just fine. and for the pic in question, i'm certain some curves, and usm (better yet, usm selectively applied, with layer masks) could benefit it.

how are the reflections in the far east?
    Let me put it very simply and then you can either agree or disagree.

• The example image clearly shows interpolation.
    • The Fuji dcam is interpolating pixels that don't exist.
    • The post processes like levels and USM will work better on an image
    • that has not been interpolated.
    • Result: Coldclimb should if possible set the dcam to the actual 3.1mp resolution for shooting.
    • Then we can better suggest further fixes.
    Clear enough?
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I agree
    Shoot using the native optical resolution of whatever camera is being used. Interpolated pixels are the worst thing one could do to a photo from the outset.

Never ever ever shoot interpolated. Blech!
    cmr164 wrote:
    Let me put it very simply and then you can either agree or disagree.

• The example image clearly shows interpolation.
    • The Fuji dcam is interpolating pixels that don't exist.
    • The post processes like levels and USM will work better on an image
    • that has not been interpolated.
    • Result: Coldclimb should if possible set the dcam to the actual 3.1mp resolution for shooting.
    • Then we can better suggest further fixes.
    Clear enough?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I'm "so" not an expert, but here's my two cents
    coldclimb wrote:

One -- if your camera has a sharpness setting experiment with the one that gives you the least halo effect. The halo effect are white or black lines around edges with a lot of contrast. In the case of the young man check the "outlining" around his hat and on his shoulder.

Two -- All I did was reduce your file by 50% (or in half) and doesn't it look much better? Try shooting at 3 mp and 6 mp and compare both images at 100%.