Options

ordered a new camera tonite

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in Cameras
Hi you'll,

I finally cracked and ordered a new camera tonite. The DW was great and after we talked about I decided to go with the D2H. It resolves the issues I was having with the D100, slow focusing and small buffer, and should be a good fit for my wildlife shooting.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    did you make a typo?
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi you'll,

I finally cracked and ordered a new camera tonite. The DW was great and after we talked about I decided to go with the D2H. It resolves the issues I was having with the D100, slow focusing and small buffer, and should be a good fit for my wildlife shooting.

surely you meant to type "1Ds Mark II?" lol3.gif

if not that, then you must've meant "D2X?"

clap.gif congrats man
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Congrats to you! Hey I didnt notice you became the moderator of the wildlife forum -Well CONGRATS AGAIN !!!!

troy

Harryb wrote:
    Hi you'll,

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    surely you meant to type "1Ds Mark II?" lol3.gif

if not that, then you must've meant "D2X?"

clap.gif congrats man
    The what!!!! I ain't no darn Canonite and besides I spent too much time with those gators training them to attack white lenses to have that go to waste. rolleyes1.gif

Linda was great, she would have let me get the D2X but we just bought a new car and 2 new PCs and I just couldn't justify spending $5K for a camera. The 2 Nikon pros that I took workkshops with at the end of last year were shooting with the D2H and getting fantastic results with it. I figure if they were getting good results with it a few months ago I should be Ok with it.

I don't think the upgrades on the D2S are enough to justify to spending almost twice as much for it so the D2H just made the most sense. I got to use the D2H for a bit on one of the workshops and it is a shooting machine.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    Congrats to you! Hey I didnt notice you became the moderator of the wildlife forum -Well CONGRATS AGAIN !!!!

troy
    Hey Troy,

Thanks and I'm what? Shoot nobody tells me nothing. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    The what!!!! I ain't no darn Canonite and besides I spent too much time with those gators training them to attack white lenses to have that go to waste. rolleyes1.gif

Linda was great, she would have let me get the D2X but we just bought a new car and 2 new PCs and I just couldn't justify spending $5K for a camera. The 2 Nikon pros that I took workkshops with at the end of last year were shooting with the D2H and getting fantastic results with it. I figure if they were getting good results with it a few months ago I should be Ok with it.

I don't think the upgrades on the D2S are enough to justify to spending almost twice as much for it so the D2H just made the most sense. I got to use the D2H for a bit on one of the workshops and it is a shooting machine.

get ready for huge raw files, and huuuuge psds in photoshop deal.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Congrats, harry. Use it in good health.

I can't wait to see thousands of new egret photos. thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    get ready for huge raw files, and huuuuge psds in photoshop deal.gif
    Nope the D2H is only 4.1 MP. My files will be smaller than I'm getting from the D100. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Congrats, harry. Use it in good health.

I can't wait to see thousands of new egret photos. thumb.gif
    Darn right! With the larger buffer I'l be able to get a lot more shots off. It will be one big egretfest on dgrin. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    It will be one big egretfest on dgrin. rolleyes1.gif
    :help lol3.gif
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Congrats on the new camera Harryclap.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Congrats on the new camera Harryclap.gif

Eric
    Thank you Eric
    Harry
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    More and better birds!

Congratulations, Harry!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    More and better birds!

Congratulations, Harry!

ginger
    Thank you very much Ginger.
    Harry
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Congrats on a great camera Harry. I've had my D2H since December when my D70 broke. It will be perfect for you & your birding.

You shouldn't have any problem using it. I went from the D70 to D2H w/o any issues.

Really, an amazing camera.

Dave
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Congrats on the D2H! The best thing about it (when I had one) is the feel of the grip. Really tough to top.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Congrats on a great camera Harry. I've had my D2H since December when my D70 broke. It will be perfect for you & your birding.

You shouldn't have any problem using it. I went from the D70 to D2H w/o any issues.

Really, an amazing camera.

Dave
    Thanks Dave. I'm really excited about it. I was losing too many shot due to the D100's small buffer and slow focusing. The D2H addresses all those problems. I got a chance to use it for a bit at the Reznick workshop and it handled like a dream. With the $1300 price drop it was the best bargain out there.
    Harry
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi you'll,

I also bought the D2H. I'd been planning to get a second body to go with my D70 and at the reduced price, I could not resist.

The D2X is obviously tempting, but beyond my budget at this point, especially since both my laptop and desktop would need major upgrades or replacement to cope with the larger file size.

I haven't had much chance to shoot with mine yet, today was the first day. So far I'm delighted with it, I'm sure you will be as well.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    fantastic camera harry, enjoythumb.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 6, 2005
    Congrats Harry, you deserve it ^5
    You also deserve a 500mm lens :):

Congrats buddy and I'm sure you're going to have a blast with this new camera. I could tell by your comments that the D100 was wearing thin. Plus, learning a new camera gets the adrenaline flowing. Makes you want to shoot even more :D

OK, enough with the niceities. We need more Egret shots posted, so get crackin once you get it :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Congrats on the D2H! The best thing about it (when I had one) is the feel of the grip. Really tough to top.

I know. When I held one for the first time it just felt so right.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    I also bought the D2H. I'd been planning to get a second body to go with my D70 and at the reduced price, I could not resist.

The D2X is obviously tempting, but beyond my budget at this point, especially since both my laptop and desktop would need major upgrades or replacement to cope with the larger file size.

I haven't had much chance to shoot with mine yet, today was the first day. So far I'm delighted with it, I'm sure you will be as well.
    Hey David,

I just feel that the D2H is the best bargain out there right now. A pro level camera for $1999 is just too good of a deal to pass up. Of all the cameras I've handled none of them have felt better than the D2H in my hands.

If I made my living with photography I would have gone for the D2X but $5K is just a bit too pricey for me.

I can't wait for it to arrive so I can give it a whirl.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    shay wrote:
    fantastic camera harry, enjoythumb.gif
    Thanks Shay :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    You also deserve a 500mm lens :):

Congrats buddy and I'm sure you're going to have a blast with this new camera. I could tell by your comments that the D100 was wearing thin. Plus, learning a new camera gets the adrenaline flowing. Makes you want to shoot even more :D

OK, enough with the niceities. We need more Egret shots posted, so get crackin once you get it :lol

Steve
    Hey Steve,

You're right. I think it was the shoot with the otehr Nikonians that pushed me over. I'm there shooting with my D100 and going click.......click.....click

The SOBS with the D2Hs were going clickclickclickclickclickclickclick. It got to be really annoying. Then I saw the pics they got and I missed and the rest is history.

Once I get the D2H next week watch out. March, 2005 will go down in dgrin history as the month of the egret.naughty.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Congrats!
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi you'll,

Hope the learning level won't be too frustrating! Yep, gotta have a large buffer, those birds don't stand still and pose and wait for the file to be written, do they?
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Hope the learning level won't be too frustrating! Yep, gotta have a large buffer, those birds don't stand still and pose and wait for the file to be written, do they?
    Hey Dee,

Exactly. I've lost so many shots because of the D100's small buffer. I got to handle a D2H in November and it was a dream. I'm not expecting too much of a learning curve on this one (famous last words).
    Harry