Easy Portable Flash Setup

13»

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Shay,

Thanks so much for the incredible amount of information you have packed into this thread. I have a NOOB type question regarding shooting with the umbrellas.

Is there ever a concern about the hardware, the stand, the adapters, the umbrella prongs, etc, casting a shadow of themselves into your composition? Is that something you have to concern yourself over during the set-up , or is the diffusion action of the umbrella itself enough to eliminate this worry?

Thanks!

In my experience the only place the hardware is noticable is in reflections. For portraits, it shows up in the catchlights in the subject's eyes.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    In my experience the only place the hardware is noticable is in reflections. For portraits, it shows up in the catchlights in the subject's eyes.

I agree, the only time a light stand or flash or modifier could cast a shadow is if it is in front of the light. So a second liht would have to be casting light across the first light for it to cast a shadow. In practice, this has never really come up for me. The only thing that reall comes up is as LiquidAir mentions, the light showing up in reflections from eyes, windows, mirrors, etc.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    I found a new heavier duty umbrella adapter today. It is made by Chimera. It feels as though it will hold a much heavier setup without sagging, at times I have had my Bogen adapter slip and have broken one in the past. Hopefully this one will not have that problem. It does cost about $44 and it is a lot larger, but if you need a heavier duty model. This is it, Chimera also makes a dual axis model. thumb.gif

Model: 3860 Single Axis Stand Adapter

234702042-M.jpg
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Now THAT's a piece of gear
    clap.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 21, 2007
    I'll put that on my shopping list!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    I just found a similar metal bracket made by Manfrotto. Only $32.00. When my plastic brackets die, I'll go that route. One thing I noticed that's cool about the Chimera bracket is that it has two umbrella holes. One that tilts and one on the lower section.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.