Options

My shadow is in the photo

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited December 25, 2007 in Technique
I just received my 10-22 lens and went out taking some photos when I saw my shadow was in the shot.

How can this be eliminated? I need some helpful hints to avoid this from happening....anyone have any for me?

Dogdots/Mary

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    The only thing you can do is be more careful with your framing and get out of your own way. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    Welcome to Wide Angle shooting, Mary.

Shoot with the sun at your side, maybe? Shoot after dark. Shoot backlit subjects.

Incorporate your shadow into the image, perhaps?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Welcome to Wide Angle shooting, Mary.

lol3.gif

Ain't that the truth!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    I just got my 10-22 three days ago and noticed the same thing. Maybe not my shadow, but a 'shadow', none the less. I am also curious. My off the cuff guess, for myself, is that I need to practice with the ultra wide, and find what it likes, and I don't. That's my next step.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    Oh geez another thing to learn....how to stay out of the photo :D

Wide angle photography is going to be an experience that I see can be both fun and troublesome.

Tonight I took a photo looking towards something that was lit up. The only other light was from the street behind me which was a good distance away. And there was my dang shadow in the photo.

Tomorrow is sapose to be sunny where I live so I'm hoping to get out and really try this lens out. I will really have to work with it and the sun to see where I need to be placed to take the shot. Never thought I would need to worry about myself rolleyes1.gif This is going to be an adventure....I will be dancing 360's with the tripod and lens.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    That is one of the advantages of the 24 T&S - It allows you to shift, so your shadow does not intrude into the image. But it is only used in conjunction with a tripod...

• Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    That is one of the advantages of the 24 T&S - It allows you to shift, so your shadow does not intrude into the image. But it is only used in conjunction with a tripod...

24 T&S ?
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    Tilt and Shift

• Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Tilt and Shift

Now I feel really dumb.....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    Canon makes three T&S lenses 24, 45, and 90.

Don't feel too bad, Mary, I could have written Tilt and Shift out for you, and I didn't

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    I just received my 10-22 lens and went out taking some photos when I saw my shadow was in the shot.

How can this be eliminated? I need some helpful hints to avoid this from happening....anyone have any for me?

Dogdots/Mary

Wait until you take a shot at 10mm and find your feet were in the shot! I have the Sigma 10-20 and if I sit down on a hillside to brace my shot, I find I often can't get the shot without seeing my feet. 10mm is really wide.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Wait until you take a shot at 10mm and find your feet were in the shot! I have the Sigma 10-20 and if I sit down on a hillside to brace my shot, I find I often can't get the shot without seeing my feet. 10mm is really wide.
    I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced this!

When I first used my lens I was standing next to a pole - I had to look twice before I realized what I was seeing through the lense. Oops! I needed to step forward just a bit...

I guess we've all experienced the same thing with this nice wide lens!

Oh, and I have incorporated my shadow into the shot a couple of times...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one who has seen shadows and things in their photos using the wide lens. Spooky :D

I do like the idea of using your shadow in photos. I will have to actually try it on purpose :D

I was out today trying it out. Hoping for sun, but got flurries, wind and clouds. Oh well. It worked good. Think it's a keeper thumb.gif

Did get a few photos with concrete from bridges. Found I had to move away from my wind block (the car) as it kept showing up in the photo.

I think this is a very good lens in teaching me to re-look at what I"m photographing to make sure it's set up right.

Hope to post a photo in the next few days. Would do it sooner, but I'm the cook for the holidays :D

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Here's one at 10mm with both my feet and my shadow in it.

Playa De Las Palmas, Mexico:
    235592203-L.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Here's one at 10mm with both my feet and my shadow in it.

Ah, you managed both a foot and a shadow! Funny...

Here's a more subtle example, another shot at 10mm - it was taken on Artist's Drive (actually of Artist's Palette) in Death Valley National Park, and there are two photographer stick figure shadows in the shot, me and a stranger. Actually I'm surprised there are only two people shadows given the number of photographers standing in the area. At first I was trying to figure out how to get this shot without the shadows, but then I decided I liked them.

222129969-L.jpg

OK, you're right, that one probably doesn't count. This one was deliberate:

222304624-L.jpg

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    rolleyes1.gifI like these---its so nice to know I'm not the only one who has this happen to them.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    You don't have to be shooting with a wide angle...
    158290396-M.jpg

But sometimes it helps...thumb.gif
    166298520-L.jpg

• Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    My tripod making its debut into my pratice photo with my new wide angle lens. Please don't look close at the photo as there was no set up other then taking the photo to see how the lens works :D