Options

Time for a new compact camera - suggestions?

EileronEileron Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited December 27, 2007 in Cameras
Storytime! Over the summer I had a Canon Powershot SD600 (or something along those lines) that served me well, until it disappeared in a club in Tokyo. So when I got back I bought a Canon Powershot SD850 IS, which served me well until this glorious wintry season when my loveable family members decided to drop it in a washing machine.

Now, armed with the pieces of my old camera and about 300 or so dollars, I was wondering what you all might recommend? I've looked at the Canon SD950 and the Casio EX-V8 (kindof different levels of compact camera), but was wondering what might be a good choice.

My standard SLR (if this makes any difference) is a Nikon D80 with the standard (lower end) 18-55 MkII, 18-135 (came with), and 55-200mm lenses.

Anyway, just seeing what anybody would suggest. I like the idea of having a smaller camera with me at all times for those "moments" but haven't had a lot of opportunity to see a bunch of them, and don't want to just go jumping for a similar Canon like I did last time.

Comments

• Options
    ddkphotosddkphotos Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    I just picked up the Canon SX100!!! Before I got the xti - I had Fuji's with 10x zoom. I'd never buy anything that didn't have at least the 10x zoom...
    Anyhow - the SX100 is a great little camera! I'm loving it! (took over 800 pics in 3.5 days!)...
    Video mode isn't great - but hey - I'm not taking videos... Plus the flash recharging time can be a tad slow - but otherwise it takes great shots. Has IS, face detection and a great little macro mode!! I took it out in the snow yesterday and it did great there too!
    Can you tell I'm quite happy with it!!
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    My picks, in order of favorite to least:

You could go w/ the waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof P&S. (I've actually dunked one of these in a fishbowl, then took a picture. Very surreal..)
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp

THe new Kodak Easyshare is awesome. I bought it for a friend for Christmas. when I was setting it up for them, I played w/ it for a while. VERY nice & intuative.
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=11592&pq-locale=en_US

My wife uses a sony cybershot. It a great camera, but the flash almost guarantees red-eye. Comes in tons of colors.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&ci=1&shs=SODSCW55BL*&Q=&O=

All three of these are under 300 and give you an idea of what offerings are out there for P&S.

These links aren't' the best prices. They are just Google hits for you to start out w/.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    KayguarnayKayguarnay Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Completely agree with SloYerRoll, for first pick that is. I went through 4 generations of Olympus tiny cameras and have been absolutely delighted. Camedia at first, and then Stylus 710, 730, 740.

Most recently settled on 740. I like these cameras because they actually fit into any small pocket, and into my small palm. I can walk and take pretty fabulous pictures (the image stabilization feature is tested to the maxx!).. that comes in handy when you are places where you're not supposed to take pictures :D. It is easy to work it with one finger (most usually the thumb if it's in the palm of your hand being shielded from view :)

For their durability, I've used mine at +108F degree weather and 100% humidity during a monsoon, and most recently at 20F in the snow with amazing results! It keeps on clicking!

The one incident I did have with the camera (720, I took with me to Nepal). One day, during a monsoon trek it opened and something clicked in the shutter so that it was tough to close again. Then I discovered that the HD crystal had broken inside (everything was dreadfully overexposed). I assume it was from abuse out in the elements, from reaching the 3000 picture count and being at high altitude. I went all over Kathmandu checking with photo shops to see who could fix it and finally they replaced the optics and I was off to take even better pictures again!

so the short list:
    1) light and compact
    2) easy to operate
    3) exceptional image stabilization and great picture quality
    4) durable and durable
    5) exchange parts may be found in Sundhara or any other tiny photoshop around the world (probably*).

Of the ones I've had terrible luck with in similar trying environments,
    Fuji FinePix- everything is blurry, it doesn't stand up to skiing (freezes).
    The other ones I can't really compare.

Good luck!
    "Always dream of the impossible, then try!" - Geoff Tabin

I'm just learning, teach me!
    C&C always appreciated.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Doesn't sound like it fits in your budget, but think about the Canon G9.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Doesn't sound like it fits in your budget, but think about the Canon G9.

Yep, sweet camera. Can be used for landscape work on a tripod if you want as a secondary camera as well (woot, RAW mode!).

A bit bulkier than the SD870 I got for wifey, but 'tis very nice. Saw Marc was pimping with one at the SmugMug party as well, with a nice RRS bracket on there :-)
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    Yep, sweet camera. Can be used for landscape work
    The Kodak can be used for landscape and in-camera panorama stitching, which automatically combines three pictures into a panorama photograph. Using the ultra-wide view in panorama scene mode, you can take in a 180-degree vista with just three shots — an industry exclusive.

It really works too!

Takes about 20 seconds to stitch if you take the images correctly. But taking them in intuative as well.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Did the Canon SD850 IS fulfill your photographic needs? What's wrong with getting the same replacement? Unless you're looking for something that can withstand the washing machine disaster, then check out the Olympus line of P&S as Jon suggested. Some form of IS is highly recommended, especially for tiny P&S cameras.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    I tested a panasonic LX2 in the camera shop and it was very cool. Downsides are high iso performance (like every current compact I've tried) and no optical view finder.

My dad has the waterproof olympus and its ok for bright, out door shots, but a combo of no af illuminator light (I think the newer models have them though - his is the 720 IIRC) and a pretty slow lens makes indoor shots difficult.

My wife has a sony W80 and it works pretty well. It was $170, its quite compact, has IS that works well and is pretty fast. High ISO performance is crap, but stick it on ISO 100 and its a happy camper. The lens is reasonably fast at f/2.8. Anyway, she loves the thing and even snagged an under water case for it. We looked at the olympus but it couldn't go very deep and the price of the sony + case (good to way deeper than she'll be going) was about the same so we went that route. I've taken it out in the snow, she's been diving with it and all that good stuff. The waterproof case is super durable and very waterproof. I'd probably buy one (for whatever camera you end up with) for your adventures in inclement weather if the olympus doesn't suit you:) Do check prices on them if you are thinking about one before you buy the camera - they can vary a lot, I've seen 70-1000 depending on the camera, but most are 150-250 for compact cameras. I think the one for the W-55 sony is 70, but can't go as deep (still deeper than you'll get without a scuba tank though). The one my wife got for her W80 was 136.

Anyhow, I'm also sorta in the market for a new compact, but haven't found one that quite suits me. Currently I'm using a sony DSC-S85 which is great, but old and kinda slow and a bit bulky. The upside is its got quite a good optical viewfinder, low noise up to ISO400 and a very sharp f/2.0 lens. If the LX2 had a good optical viewfinder I think I'd be sold on it, but not sure I can give that up. The G9 looks pretty cool, but is a bit pricy and bulky for a p&s.

have fun
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    I have used many P&S over the years, and bought many more for family and friends.

The Kodak cameras are without equal for non-photographers and especially those without PC skills. The EasyShare system works so well, and is so simple, even my mother in law can take photos, email them to me, and print photos.

But, the Canon 800IS, (and the newer 850IS) are simply the finest P&S I have seen. I used the think the Panasonic/Leica were great, as long as you kept to bright light, but this Canon is perfect everywhere. I will no longer purchase a P&S without IS...it is that good. The problem with P&S is that they tend to be stupid in picking shutter speeds, and so non-photographers often get shaky photos (my wife). With the Canon, there are no more blurry, shaky photos.

The Olympus is very appealing, with its all-weather capability. If they would only add IS...and get rid of that stupic XD card, I would be sold....
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    I have used many P&S over the years, and bought many more for family and friends.

The Kodak cameras are without equal for non-photographers and especially those without PC skills. The EasyShare system works so well, and is so simple, even my mother in law can take photos, email them to me, and print photos.

But, the Canon 800IS, (and the newer 850IS) are simply the finest P&S I have seen. I used the think the Panasonic/Leica were great, as long as you kept to bright light, but this Canon is perfect everywhere. I will no longer purchase a P&S without IS...it is that good. The problem with P&S is that they tend to be stupid in picking shutter speeds, and so non-photographers often get shaky photos (my wife). With the Canon, there are no more blurry, shaky photos.

The Olympus is very appealing, with its all-weather capability. If they would only add IS...and get rid of that stupic XD card, I would be sold....
    15524779-Ti.gif completely.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    Sprout CrumbleSprout Crumble Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    I've got a Canon S5is coming in a couple of days. I'll post up what I think of it when it comes but its well specced and has been well reviewed.