Why does nocript 1.2 block the Smugmug style?

NelsonChenPhotographyNelsonChenPhotography Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited December 28, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I know this has been reported before but I would like to know the reason why the smugmug style can be blocked by noscript 1.2 Firefox addon. The other styles such as tranditional or all thumbs does not seem to be affected by the latest nocript update.

Disabling noscript is one option but that leaves Firefox unsafe. Reinstalling noscript v1.1.9.6 is my current solution.

What is noscript v1.2 doing that prevents the smugmug style from loading?

Thank you!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Hi, I really don't know the answer to this. I don't use noscript with Firefox, anyone else? ear.gif
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I really don't know the answer to this. I don't use noscript with Firefox, anyone else? ear.gif

It's hard keeping up with that thing. NoScript is a bit notorious for breaking pages that have no ill intentions, as is the case here.

While we look into this, there is a quick fix if you don't mind going under the hood. In Firefox, type in "about:config" in your address bar. Look for the noscript.jsHack entry and make the string just an empty string.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • NelsonChenPhotographyNelsonChenPhotography Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    It's hard keeping up with that thing. NoScript is a bit notorious for breaking pages that have no ill intentions, as is the case here.

While we look into this, there is a quick fix if you don't mind going under the hood. In Firefox, type in "about:config" in your address bar. Look for the noscript.jsHack entry and make the string just an empty string.
    Under noscript 1.1.9.6, that entry does not exist.

Under noscript 1.2, the entry exists with the following value.

window.urchinTracker = function() {}

Setting it to an empty string fixed the problem!

Wow! This is the best solution!

Thank you!!!
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 27, 2007
    noscript.jsHack

the name kinda speaks for itself.

anyways, we have a work around for it and will hopefully be releasing it shortly
    Pedal faster
  • NelsonChenPhotographyNelsonChenPhotography Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    noscript.jsHack

the name kinda speaks for itself.

anyways, we have a work around for it and will hopefully be releasing it shortly

Are you saying that Smugmug.com will change its javascript so we can let noscript.jsHack be "window.urchinTracker = function() {}"?

If this is the case, why was jsHack() used in the first place?
    edited December 27, 2007
    Are you saying that Smugmug.com will change its javascript so we can let noscript.jsHack be "window.urchinTracker = function() {}"?
    yes, thats what we're saying. In case some other person installed the newest version of NoScript and doesnt see this thread (or the other thread on the NoScript board where this solution was initially posted).
    If this is the case, why was jsHack() used in the first place?
    noscript.jsHack is not SmugMug code, it is NoScript code. It just happens to not play nicely with the way we handle Google Analytics.
    Pedal faster
  • Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    When can I expect a fix on SmugMug's end for this? I don't know what effect removing the problem string from NoScript would have on other web browsing. I don't expect that it would be a big deal, but I assume it's a part of NoScript for a reason.
    edited December 28, 2007
    When can I expect a fix on SmugMug's end for this? I don't know what effect removing the problem string from NoScript would have on other web browsing. I don't expect that it would be a big deal, but I assume it's a part of NoScript for a reason.

Very soon. You can always reset the setting in about:config quite easily though.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    Very soon. You can always reset the setting in about:config quite easily though.
    That's what I intend to do once the fix is released, I was just curious as to a timeline. Thanks.
    edited December 28, 2007
    ... but I assume it's a part of NoScript for a reason.
    judging by the name of the config 'noscript.jsHack', i'll make the assumption that the author had a hard time getting around the google analytics code using his traditional methods. It wont have any effect on sites that don't use Google Analytics, but for those that do, well, it appears to be a hack so your results may vary.
    Pedal faster
    edited December 28, 2007
    the fix just went live. You should have no more problems with NoScript and SmugMug
    Pedal faster
    edited December 28, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    the fix just went live. You should have no more problems with NoScript and SmugMug

Until the next NoScript release next week. :D
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited December 28, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    Until the next NoScript release next week. :D
    hopefully our fixes are robust enough. we'll see what the next NoScript.jsHack brings.
    Pedal faster