Options

SmugDAV redux

ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
Greetings,

I'm looking into putting together a UPnP "Media Server," to be run on my Linux server, so that I can easily view smugmug photos from my PS3. If there's something out there that already does this, somebody stop me now! :D

It seems that SmugDAV would be the most straightforward way to do this. There's a WebDAV filesystem for Linux (davfs2), and there are several UPnP Media Servers that will expose a directory. (I don't want to expose all of the albums, but that's something I can work on later!)

However, SmugDAV (which I understand is still quite rough around the edges) doesn't seem to get along with davfs2. I can see directories that correspond to various categories and albums (which, curiously, don't use the naming conventions described in the documentation), but I don't see any actual files.

Is SmugDAV still being actively developed? I'd be happy to help debug this issue if so. I can certainly accomplish my goal by using one of the other APIs, but SmugDAV seemed to be such a great fit...

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 19, 2007
    ubergeek wrote:
    Greetings,

I'm looking into putting together a UPnP "Media Server," to be run on my Linux server, so that I can easily view smugmug photos from my PS3. If there's something out there that already does this, somebody stop me now! :D

It seems that SmugDAV would be the most straightforward way to do this. There's a WebDAV filesystem for Linux (davfs2), and there are several UPnP Media Servers that will expose a directory. (I don't want to expose all of the albums, but that's something I can work on later!)

However, SmugDAV (which I understand is still quite rough around the edges) doesn't seem to get along with davfs2. I can see directories that correspond to various categories and albums (which, curiously, don't use the naming conventions described in the documentation), but I don't see any actual files.

Is SmugDAV still being actively developed? I'd be happy to help debug this issue if so. I can certainly accomplish my goal by using one of the other APIs, but SmugDAV seemed to be such a great fit...

Cheers,
    Jeremy

G'day Jeremy,

SmugDAV is something we really want to develop more, I have done much with it except fix a few bugs that were preventing most people from using it.

Ii you want to debug it, I'm happy to provide any assistance in trying to resolve any outstanding issues.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Hi David,

Australia eh? I've been spending some time in New Zealand lately--I hope to see some of Australia one of these times too!

I'm afraid I don't know much about the WebDAV protocol, so I'm not sure where to begin. I could turn on debugging in davfs2, but this could just as easily produce a load of useless information as I wouldn't know what to look for.

I had hoped the symptoms might be recognizable to someone more familiar with the implementation:
    • None of the directory names have the expected prefixes. For example, instead of "C16_People" I see just "People".
    • Other than the above, the directory hierarchy looks correct; within categories I see the expected subcategories, with the expected albums within those.
    • There aren't any files/images at all--just directories.
    SmugDAV does seem to work with my Windows XP machine, though, so it seems that there's some sort of miscommuncation between SmugDAV and davfs2. But what sort of problem might cause the above behavior?

Also, I don't know if it's possible, but it would be cool if SmugDAV supported the on-demand image scaling available through the smugmug Web site--e.g. appending "-1280x720" to a filename to dynamically resize the image to those dimensions. But obviously it would be more useful to get to work first. :D

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    egoregor Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Have you had any success getting it to work with Apple's Leopard OS? I've been unable to connect using Leopard, but it works fine on my MacBookPro (which is still using Tiger 10.4.11).
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    egor wrote:
    Have you had any success getting it to work with Apple's Leopard OS? I've been unable to connect using Leopard, but it works fine on my MacBookPro (which is still using Tiger 10.4.11).
    Works for me in Leopard ne_nau.gif What's happening when you try to connect?
  • Options
    egoregor Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Works for me in Leopard ne_nau.gif What's happening when you try to connect?

I get the login screen but, after entering my smugmug name and password, I simply see an infinite "barber pole" status bar in the "Connecting to Server" window. The remote gallery volume never mounts on my desktop.

I'm not sure what the problem might be since, as I said, my other Mac on this same network (running Tiger instead of Leopard) has no problem connecting and mounting this remote volume.

At least I know it's not specifically a Leopard problem, since you've connected. So I'll have to do some more diggin'. Thanks.