Options

abandoned warehouse

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited March 7, 2005 in Holy Macro

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Angelo,I dig old buildings like this.One of the things I havent shot much.
    Keep them coming.
    John
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Angelo,I dig old buildings like this.One of the things I havent shot much.
    Keep them coming.
    John
    Thanks John. Wish I had gotten more of this place. I might have to revisit.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    angelo,

you've made a nice try here, but the mess of branches rt side distract me more than engage me. i think this old building has enough character, stepping back 20 yards and / or zooming out, may have offered more compositional choices for you, and i think, delivered a more pleasing result.

keep it up,
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    angelo,

you've made a nice try here, but the mess of branches rt side distract me more than engage me. i think this old building has enough character, stepping back 20 yards and / or zooming out, may have offered more compositional choices for you, and i think, delivered a more pleasing result.

keep it up,
    Thanks Andy. You're right about the branches but the truth is I had to hop onto a railing above a trash bin next to a drainage ditch and I was pressed up against a cement wall in order to capture this small corner of the bldg over the top of a gate. rolleyes1.gif (all true)

I might revisit on a weekday when a neighboring business is open that would afford me closer access.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Thanks Andy. You're right about the branches but the truth is I had to hop onto a railing above a trash bin next to a drainage ditch and I was pressed up against a cement wall in order to capture this small corner of the bldg over the top of a gate. rolleyes1.gif (all true)

I might revisit on a weekday when a neighboring business is open that would afford me closer access.

what focal length were you using?
  • Options
    TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    angelo,

keep it up,
    Also take a pic in "portrait" orientation rather than "landscape" to include more of the house, and less or none of the branches ?

I'd also try to come at a different time of the day.

Thierry
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    what focal length were you using?
    155mm
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    155mm

they make lenses that long? lol3.gif

outdoors - wide - give it a try deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    they make lenses that long? lol3.gif

outdoors - wide - give it a try deal.gif
    sorry, explain that like i'm a 4 yr old
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    sorry, explain that like i'm a 4 yr old

it's no secret that i favor the wider focal lengths. my favorite lenses are my 35mm and wider -- the challenge of composing, the drama of the scene.

i'm not sayin' that you can't get a good shot with tele - just that it's really fun to go wide, too. and for this shot, i can't help but believe that it would be improved by going wider :D
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's no secret that i favor the wider focal lengths. my favorite lenses are my 35mm and wider -- the challenge of composing, the drama of the scene.

i'm not sayin' that you can't get a good shot with tele - just that it's really fun to go wide, too. and for this shot, i can't help but believe that it would be improved by going wider :D
    You do a great job with wide lenses. I only own 3 lenses and don't think either qualify as... but honestly with this photo, I was jamming between many obstacles. If you look closely you see some fencing at the bottom of the shot, right where the telephone pole hits bottom and also some fence ghosting on the left margin at about 4/5 down. Pulling back only exposed more fence and the wall I was leaning against on the left.

I would like to try more wide angel stuff though. Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated and I hope to improve.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005