Options

San Francisco and area

MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited December 29, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm planning my (7th) trip to San Francisco for just before Christmas.
I was just there at the beginning of November and did one day in the Colma cemeteries and one day of street photography in Chinatown and North Beach.

I'm going to return to Colma for one day but I'm looking for different places for street photography. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for other interesting places to photograph. Just one catch - I don't drive.

Finally, is it worth it to do a one day trip to Yosemite? What will it be like there just before Christmas?

Thanx!

Comments

• Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    SF Photography
    For street photography, Haight/Ashbury or the Mission
    District might be of interest. You can visit those places by bus.

In fact, SF is fairly compact and buses are a good way to
    get around The City. Muni costs $1.50/ride with free transfers
    within 2 hours (I think).

Here's the SF Chronicle guide to SF neighborhoods.
    Also, my google map of Bay Area locations.

I've looked at your galleries and you have a nice eye.

Have a great time in the Bay Area!

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    Forgot to mention
    Should have mentioned the SF Columbarium. It's an interesting
    building as well as a sad reminder of the AIDs epidemic that ripped
    SF through the 80's.

Mission Dolores might also interest you. It's one of the California
    Missions and dates back to 1776. They have a small cemetary
    as well.

Also, the Paramount Theater in Oakland is super cool. They run
    tours on the first and third Saturdays for $5 (they raised their
    prices, used to be $1). It's well worth the price of admission
    to see this grand movie palace.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2007
    Thanks for the tips. I will have to go see the Columbarium. What an interesting building. And it is right near Haight Ashbury so I can do some street photography and get some good Mexican food. I like the idea of the Mission too. I was at the Carmel one the last time I visited.

From my own research, I'm also going to take the BART out to Berkeley to take a look at the campus.

Let me know if you think of anything else!
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    Berkeley and Oakland
    Moni,
    Some more places that come to mind in Berkeley and
    Oakland.

Berkeley:
    UC Berkeley Campus
    Telegraph Ave
    Berkeley City Club (Julia Morgan designed building)

Oakland Mormon Temple is lit up for Christmas now, best light at twilight,
    use a tripod.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Moni wrote:
    I'm planning my (7th) trip to San Francisco for just before Christmas.
    I was just there at the beginning of November and did one day in the Colma cemeteries and one day of street photography in Chinatown and North Beach.

I'm going to return to Colma for one day but I'm looking for different places for street photography. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for other interesting places to photograph. Just one catch - I don't drive.

Finally, is it worth it to do a one day trip to Yosemite? What will it be like there just before Christmas?

Thanx!

A one day trip to Yosemite would be pushing it, especially this time of the year. Snow this week and more maybe next week possible. From most of the East Bay it is about 3+/- hours in good driving conditions. So unless you pull an all-nighter you would need to leave really early if you wanted to catch a sunrise inside the valley, and leave late after sunset. Otherwise the drive is not that bad and Yosemite is just plain awesome.

Just got back in August from hiking Half Dome and loved it, as always!
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    Just got back but didn't have time to do anything with my photos before I had to leave for Christmas. I'll post pics when I get back home.
    Instead of Yosemite, we went to Point Reyes National Seashore for 1 day (my husband played hookey from work and we rented a car).
    Thanks for the Telegraph and Mission Dolores tips. Loved both of those. I spent more time than anticipated in Haight Ashbury so I didn't get to the columbarium :cry ...something for next time.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Looking forward to seeing your pix!
    Point Reyes is definitely worth a visit, glad you could add that to
    your itinerary.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the Bay Area.

Alvin
    Moni wrote:
    Just got back but didn't have time to do anything with my photos before I had to leave for Christmas. I'll post pics when I get back home.
    Instead of Yosemite, we went to Point Reyes National Seashore for 1 day (my husband played hookey from work and we rented a car).
    Thanks for the Telegraph and Mission Dolores tips. Loved both of those. I spent more time than anticipated in Haight Ashbury so I didn't get to the columbarium :cry ...something for next time.
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    getchphotogetchphoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    SF area
    Hi, I just happen upon this thread and was wondering about this area for a possible relocation next fall. By any chance are you or anyone you know familiar with the Art Academy University, any good or bad word on it? I might look into the school for their BFA program. I am currently in the New England area and longing for a warmer climate.
  • Options
    J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    bring lots of money
    getchphoto wrote:
    Hi, I just happen upon this thread and was wondering about this area for a possible relocation next fall. By any chance are you or anyone you know familiar with the Art Academy University, any good or bad word on it? I might look into the school for their BFA program. I am currently in the New England area and longing for a warmer climate.

Great school, just be prepared to bring lots of money for tuition! :D
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    I was in San Fran this spring (also looking at schools, loved the area but ended up in cambridge as I liked this school better), really fun place. Point Reys is awsome, also some great areas between SF and Reys (stinsion beach and surrounding area). Perhaps I'm spoiled by tight east coast cities, but I didn't find SF very walkable or the public transport all that useful (it stops running quite early and doesn't run all that often). I planned to walk and use public transport for my week there, but rented a car after the first day. I've pics of SF, Stinsion beach and Reys here
    http://www.postwhore.biz/thumbnails.php?album=413

This is near the light house at point reys
    normal_October%202004%20118.jpg
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    getchphotogetchphoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up. See if I'll find some extra coin. :D
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    I was oblivious to them when I was there in the spring, but since I've learned of zipcars and they seem quite a bargain, especially if you are under 25. IIRC there is quite a good supply of zipcars in SF bay area. Also check if your company/school or whatever organization you may be affiliated with has an account. I know that my school gets us free zipcar accounts so we only have to pay the variable costs of using one ($8/hr or $60/day including fuel IIRC).

good luck and have fun!

Just FYI I've always been fond of hiking, nature and such and not really big on cities, folks who enjoy cities more might find SF more tolerable without a car.
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr