Options

Slow uploading

JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
edited January 3, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Just wondering if anyone else is having slow uploads. Being a holiday, a lot of people are probably adding pics. Hoping it's not on my end.
Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose

Comments

• Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 1, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone else is having slow uploads. Being a holiday, a lot of people are probably adding pics. Hoping it's not on my end.

I'm sorry you're seeing slow uploads! Don or one of our operations guys can explain it in greater detail than I can, but SmugMug can accept data as fast as you can send it for all intensive purposes.

The speed at which you can send it depends on your connection speed, specifically the upload rate, your geographical distance to some extent, and the route the data takes to reach our servers.

If you contact the help desk, we can give you some ways to diagnose the problem.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Thanks for the speedy reply, Sheaf. I usually have no problems uploading quickly, even with large files. I'll contact support. Thank you. :):
    Jen

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    I'm having major problems here, nothing north of here, St. Louis, is
    connecting, pings but no download. So must be some kind of major
    router trouble.

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php
    STL > Lexington, Ky 5046 dn
    STL > NY 4645 dn
    STL > Miami 4603 dn
    STL > Iron Mtn, MI ping 40 no d/l
    STL > Chicago ping 37 no d/l

Looks like Chicago is the problem.

Tokohama Japan ping 183 1541 dn
    London ping 230 2272 dn
    Santiago Chile ping 357 655 dn
    Calgary 2567 dn
    Chicago ping 60 download 22 then froze
    Twin Cities, Mi 4839 dn
    Toronto 4839 dn
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Allen, do you know if that had to do with smugmug being down only, or is it also affecting picture uploads? Cos I still can't upload.
    Jen

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 1, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    Allen, do you know if that had to do with smugmug being down only, or is it also affecting picture uploads? Cos I still can't upload.
    Given the wide gap in time between when Allen reported his problem (and you reported yours), I doubt that either had anything to do with the outage this afternoon.

I have been able to successfully upload photos since the problem was fixed.

Have you contacted the help desk? Seems like it might be time to see what kind of debugging tricks they have up their sleeves.

--- Denise
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    My uploads are working but....
    I had to cancel the first one when it finished uploading but never really finished or got the handshake that the iPhoto uploader required. Second try there was a long delay at the end of the upload (which was speedy) but then took a long time to handshake (usually takes 1 - 4 sec here over 20 secs)

I am sure it is just a busy night
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    I still can't upload anything. ~sighs~ I've contacted the help desk...ran a traceroute. They said they would forward it onto an engineer to look at. ne_nau.gif
    Jen

• Options
    justplainJayjustplainJay Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2008
    You are not going crazy!
    Go to www.speedtest.net and click on the San Jose Smug Mug site. I am only getting 6kps from Orlando FL.

It would be nice if SM would have posted something to this affect saying they are doing everything they can...yada...yada.... But instead we are left in the dark to "hope" things get better. It's been 55 minutes and I am still waiting for my one 1MB picture to upload! Good thing I paid to be a Pro member! It's been 3 days like this. I think their problem is closer to home than they are saying.

I talked to several techs and this is what one said:
    I fully understand the frustration. I am working from a backup location right now a my ISP (Comcast) died at about 2pm. It appears to be a regional outage as all of the cable in the area is out. Luckily I have a friend that owns his own ISP in the next town over
    I definitely did not mean to sound negative with a "sucks to be you"
    attitude. We will certainly do whatever we can to help get this resolved
    In this particular case, the problem appears to be in the Dallas area.
    Looking back at your earlier traceroutes to us, you can see the missing packet in hop 7 in the Dallas area as well.

The problem will probably resolve itself as these internet backbone servers are monitored constantly and if one becomes a problem, the traffic is routed around it until it is fixed.

I will let our people know that there appears to be a problem. I am not sure what we can do about it either but it is something that needs to be
    addressed.

So...............
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I think their problem is closer to home than they are saying.
    Hi, I'm really sorry you are having troubles. Keep working with our Hero staff at the help desk. I know it can be and is terribly frustrating for you right now - but I assure you that there's nothing wrong at SmugMug, but rather a networking problem between you and us right now that we have to work with you, and diagnose, and then resolve. And we will, I promise deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    Jay, I'm in Orlando too. Are you on roadrunner? Still working with the help desk on this...hope it gets resolved soon. At least the lines of communication are working with DGrin. Otherwise I might be off in a corner somewhere rocking back and forth. :D
    Jen

• Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I'm really sorry you are having troubles. Keep working with our Hero staff at the help desk. I know it can be and is terribly frustrating for you right now - but I assure you that there's nothing wrong at SmugMug, but rather a networking problem between you and us right now that we have to work with you, and diagnose, and then resolve. And we will, I promise deal.gif

Thanks for the quick reply and your comittment to excellence! My frustration is at the problem and not the hard working staff of SM. I'm sure the others that are having the same problem are hoping you find a solution soon, in a reasonable amount of time.

I alerted your staff Sudnay night. I did all the tests and gave all the information back on Monday. The FAST communication and more detailed "tech-speak" was vague but helpful. It sounds like we are not close to a resolution yet. I don't know what else I can do "on my end".

It seems like people from Virginia on down are having the same problem getting to San Jose. As your techs said, this is not a (my) local ISP problem, and the up/down bandwith is great in the other states and countries I have tested. The test to you was down to 2kbs upload, tonight. I wish you had a mirror site to route the SE states to until things are fixed.

My one 1MB upload file finally died after 8hrs and 23 min and only uploaded 25%. It's been like this since Sunday, and yes it is terribly frustrating along with a few other words. I had to burn a disk and mail it to a customer today for her to preview her photos and come up with a reason why my cool, high tech, easier website won't show the pictures I shot. I now need to find a way to print them professionally. And I have another gig on Friday...I won't even go there right now.

If you get any news, a post for all the people that are out of service and in the dark without information right now would be great.

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    Jay, I'm in Orlando too. Are you on roadrunner? Still working with the help desk on this...hope it gets resolved soon. At least the lines of communication are working with DGrin. Otherwise I might be off in a corner somewhere rocking back and forth. :D

You're funny! Yes, on roadrunner (Brighthouse) also. I'm glad others like you, posted about the problem. I went right to email tech support on Sunday and only found this thread tonight. It is nice to know that we really weren't crazy. I saw the initial level one speal about ISP's and distance travelled, etc. That's almost as bad as saying "Is your computer on? Is the E-net plugged in.." My guy went right to the meat of the problem.

I think they know there is a problem. But the "hope" that someone along the route becomes aware of the problem (not the smug people) an does something one of these days doesn't sit well. I have a saying "Hope is not a strategy".

You've been on here for some time now. Any problems like this before? I literally looked at 7 other sites before choosing this one (Pro). I just need something that works.
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    You're funny! Yes, on roadrunner (Brighthouse) also. I'm glad others like you, posted about the problem. I went right to email tech support on Sunday and only found this thread tonight. It is nice to know that we really weren't crazy. I saw the initial level one speal about ISP's and distance travelled, etc. That's almost as bad as saying "Is your computer on? Is the E-net plugged in.." My guy went right to the meat of the problem.

I think they know there is a problem. But the "hope" that someone along the route becomes aware of the problem (not the smug people) an does something one of these days doesn't sit well. I have a saying "Hope is not a strategy".

You've been on here for some time now. Any problems like this before? I literally looked at 7 other sites before choosing this one (Pro). I just need something that works.
    Jay -

Its been a long time since I had to do it - at least a few years - but there are other sites that you can route throgh - sort of like a static route on a WAN - that might be a short term fix through FTP since it seems to be a problem in Florida and the path from your ISP to SM.

I wish I could be more help but it has been too many moons. Probably a good google search would help you.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008

I've had Smugmug for a little over a year and have never had this problem...or if I did it was fixed too quickly for me to notice.
    Jen

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    You're funny! Yes, on roadrunner (Brighthouse) also.

You guys weren't (aren't) alone:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cable,rr

But the latest posts there, people are talking about improvements.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    All is right in the world...
    Andy wrote:
    You guys weren't (aren't) alone:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cable,rr

But the latest posts there, people are talking about improvements.

I just had to reply since I was doing all the Bi-otching. I don't know if SM had anything to do with getting the switches from coast to coast back on line, but everything is working fine now and everything is right in the world!
    :-)
    Thanks to Andy, Doc and the gang for all they did.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    wings.gif I can upload!!! Thanks to all the smug peeps for being so responsive! clap.gif
    Jen