Options

Steel City 07 National Motocross again

schroxschrox Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited January 3, 2008 in Sports
I originally posted some pictures from the Steel City 07 National Motocross back in August a week or so after the race took place, here are some additional ones, hope you enjoy. C&C welcomed.

Ted

IMG_5142croppedsharpen.jpg

IMG_5136croppedcurves.jpg

IMG_5032croppedsharpencloned.jpg

IMG_4990croppedsharpencloned.jpg

IMG_5005croppedsharpen.jpg

IMG_5007croppedsharpencurves.jpg

IMG_5146croppedagainsharpenupsized.jpg

IMG_4829croppedagainsharpenupsized.jpg

IMG_5123croppedtwicesharpen.jpg

IMG_5132croppedsharpen.jpg

IMG_5131croppedsharpen.jpg

IMG_4677croppedagainsharpenupsizeds.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pastoralpastoral Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Wow!
    Some really great shots! I really envy you the opportunity the shoot at such a great venue.

Alan
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Good shots! clap.gif

I really like #12. Shame that clump of mud is blocking the front wheel thoughrolleyes1.gif
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Nice captures! love the last one!
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Nice photos! Check out my Millville photos I posted.:D
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Here are a couple more like #12, not quite as good though.

Ted

IMG_4824croppedsharpen-1.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    schrox wrote:
    I originally posted some pictures from the Steel City 07 National Motocross back in August a week or so after the race took place, here are some additional ones, hope you enjoy. C&C welcomed.
    Hey Ted. Some comments on what to do differently next time.

Shots 1 through 4 show rider's backs, not their fronts. Sometimes it works. But shots 1 and 3 are too soft in addition to being their backs. The combination makes for a ho-hum photograph. Also the background in number 2 makes me feel icky. A distracting mix of headless spectators.

As with all photography, watch your backgrounds! :) This was a difficult venue to shoot I'm sure, but zoom out just a bit and get some heads with those people and things would be better. Number 7 has another odd background as well. Seeing a jump shot with no sky in the background, just grass and trucks.

On 5, nice jump shot, but they generally look better with the front wheel up rather than down. Catch them on the way up, not on the way down.

Number 6 is another soft shot. I don't know if you're having focus issues or if your shutter is too slow and you're not panning well enough.

Lastly, on shots 10 and 11, your main subject, the bikes, are under-exposed. They are dark. You can solve this in multiple ways. First is shadow enhancement in Photoshop, the least perferred way. Second is to use a flash when you take the photograph to add light (which I always did when I shot MX). Lastly, choose your shooting direction based on the direction of the sun and your subject, the highly preferred way. This may mean that you can only shoot that particular location in the mornings, or only in the evening. But watch your sun's angle to your shots.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    Thanks for the critique Bill. I was using manual focus, that's probably why some are soft. Thanks for the tip about the backgrounds and sorry about the heads on #2, I was a little too agressive with the cropping. Thanks for the tip about using flash and keeping in mind where the sun is, I'll need to remember that.
    What shutter speed did you normally use when you shot MX?

Ted
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    schrox wrote:
    Thanks for the critique Bill. I was using manual focus, that's probably why some are soft. Thanks for the tip about the backgrounds and sorry about the heads on #2, I was a little too agressive with the cropping. Thanks for the tip about using flash and keeping in mind where the sun is, I'll need to remember that.
    What shutter speed did you normally use when you shot MX?

Ted
    I normally shot 1/640. It was slow enough to capture a bit of wheel motion, but fast enough to get a crisp shot. I'd usually venture down into the 1/125 range in the day, but riders almost never bought those. They wanted the crisp, faster shutter shots. Seemed odd to me, but if you look at the MX magazines, all those photos are very fast shutters. They want to look like the magazines.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    I was using manual focus

Why? MX is too fast to try manual focus. Maybe when you are shooting late or something , but I don't understand why not use AF?

I had a new local guy doing the same thing.. soft and OOF shots galore. I finally had to ask him what he was focusing on, he said.. I'm doing what the pro's do, manual. I said manual what? He said, focusing... I had to tell him when the pro's talk about "manual", it is shutter speed and aperture settings, not focus. His shots have turned out much better now.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    J-BO, the main reason for manually focusing was the lens I was using, Tamron 55-200/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro. This lens hunts occasionally when trying to focus. I thought that by pre-focusing on a section of the track I would stand a better chance. I really should have used AF some of the time though and then I could have compared the two.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Bill, thanks for the shutter speed info.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Ahh.. okay... maybe try and focus on a rider or 2 or 5 that come through for your focus point instead of spots on the track? I did that when I did some night racing shots. Not the best.. but worked pretty good.

Thanks for sharing!