Options

Pricing Fine Art Photography

VincentVincent Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 3, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi Everyone-
Very happy to have found such a nicely run forum. I Wanted to reach out to any artistic photographers who sell their work matted and framed. I've been marketing my work slowly and I am in front of three opportunities that I'm going forward with, one with a gallery and two within fine establishments in town. I really need some help with pricing. I know I have to break down my printing, frame molding, matting, glass etc. Since I frame them myself, do I need to figure in the cost of framing (based on what a frame shop would charge?-I have the means to calculate that). The part that is also difficult for me is what to charge for the Artistic side of it. My work is 16x20 prints, framed in aprox 3-5 inch frame with 3-4 inch mat.

I really appreciate any help. I have researched this topic to death. (I tried using the "cost of doing business calculator" but it was not helpful. I'd like to be able to develop a pricing plan for : framed and matted and just digital images.

I'm an internet researcher by day and I tried finding info here and abroad and have found little of anything that would help.

thanks very much
Vince

Comments

• Options
    Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Hi Vince,
    My suggestions would be to browse some local galleries & find the going rate in your area.

I offer matted 8x10 prints (11x14 mat) in galleries for $40....framed for $65.
    I offer matted 11x14 prints (16x20 mat) in galleries for $80...framed for $130.

That seems to be the average rate around here.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Vincent wrote:
    Hi Everyone-
    Very happy to have found such a nicely run forum. I Wanted to reach out to any artistic photographers who sell their work matted and framed. I've been marketing my work slowly and I am in front of three opportunities that I'm going forward with, one with a gallery and two within fine establishments in town. I really need some help with pricing. I know I have to break down my printing, frame molding, matting, glass etc. Since I frame them myself, do I need to figure in the cost of framing (based on what a frame shop would charge?-I have the means to calculate that). The part that is also difficult for me is what to charge for the Artistic side of it. My work is 16x20 prints, framed in aprox 3-5 inch frame with 3-4 inch mat.

I really appreciate any help. I have researched this topic to death. (I tried using the "cost of doing business calculator" but it was not helpful. I'd like to be able to develop a pricing plan for : framed and matted and just digital images.

I'm an internet researcher by day and I tried finding info here and abroad and have found little of anything that would help.

thanks very much
    Vince

figuring prices are.......a neverending variable packed decision..ne_nau.gif

there is no way to answer that. i see photography printed, matted or whatever going from $50 to $10,000, all my stuff goes for 1,000,000 a print.
    (im just waiting for that first salemwink.gif , i just need onethumb.gif )Laughing.gif

but i would like to see your work, post some examples...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Hi Vincent,

How high is high?

Pricing is always one of the most difficult questions we all face.

I believe pricing, like photography, is a combination of science, and art. While there are many ways to define these two areas, I will, of course, use my definitions. :D

The science part is basically begins with deciding on what products you are going to offer. Are you going to offer prints produced with a high end pigmented printer on fine art paper, high end lab prints, or a basic Wall Mart print? How will they be packaged? Will you use acid free museum quality material, or the cheapest cardboard you can find.
    Once this has been decided you can add up all your direct costs. You can not sell at or below this number, and make it up with volume.mwink.gif Don't forget to add your labor in as well.

Don't forget all your indirect costs. Camera equipment, computers, printer, insurance, taxes, cost of getting the image, (transportation, hotel, park fees, model fees, food, etc.).

At this point you really do want to research what others are selling similar work for, and the venue. This will establish the typical price range in your area.

Photographs purchased in a gallery setting will normally cost more than a similar image at an art show. If you sell through a gallery they will normally take 50% of the sale price, and just in case your not familiar with this, remember the gallery has all the high costs associated with running a brick and mortar retail store.

I would highly recommend thinking about the distribution streams you intend on pursuing, and maintain consistent pricing.

Now comes the art part. How does the quality of your images, and packaging compare to what you have been looking at? Are your images different, and / or unique in some way?

An honest appraisal here will give you an idea with regard to where in the general market pricing you think your work should be positioned.

It's a tough decision! Too low, and you face vast difficulties if you try to raise your prices substantially. Too high, and you look like an idiot.

Good luck, and let us know what you decided on, and how it's going.

Sam