ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 7, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
that's the sound i'm making this morning :D i get this way every once in a while, today i'm printing up a mess of large prints, and it's soooo satisfying. yes, i sell lots of prints, but there's nothing like the satisfaction of printing for your own use.

time to order more paper!

do you print? how does it make you feel?

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Ok Andy,which is it,ribs or printing?icon10.gif
    I havent printed anything out in a long time.Im running out of places to display itne_nau.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Ok Andy,which is it,ribs or printing?icon10.gif
    I havent printed anything out in a long time.Im running out of places to display itne_nau.gif

i so thoroughly enjoy printing. i'm actually doing 20 new large prints for my office. i'm in heaven :D
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I love to print and glory in all the details, paper, ink, RIP. Getting images to the point where they look great when printed requires a whole different level of attention to detail than making images look good online. In my experience, pictures can look really good online, but really ugly when printed. The reverse is never true.

[Long technical boring color theory deleted.]
    If not now, when?
    edited March 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:

[Long technical boring color theory deleted.]

that's good, becuase 9/10 i've printed thus far this morning have been large b&w prints lol3.gif
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that's good, becuase 9/10 i've printed thus far this morning have been large b&w prints lol3.gif
    B&W isn't totally uninteresting from a technical point of view, but it's like the difference between hearts and bridge. Color has dimensions that B&W lacks. There are so many more things that can go wrong in color. And for me, talk about "ahhhhhhhh". When color really works in a print, well that's a whole different level of satisfaction.
    If not now, when?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that's the sound i'm making this morning :D i get this way every once in a while, today i'm printing up a mess of large prints, and it's soooo satisfying. yes, i sell lots of prints, but there's nothing like the satisfaction of printing for your own use.

time to order more paper!

do you print? how does it make you feel?

Oh no! A straight line, too many jokes are buzzing through my head. So many possibilities ..... must control myself ...........

Ok

Hi Andy,

I print frequently. Its always a thrill to have something real, that you can hold; as opposed to viewing on a screen, in your hand. It just hjelps to make it more real.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Sometimes for me, printing is almost as magical as developing a print in a darkroom was. Seeing the leading edge of the print come out of the printer, not quite a complete image yet, and then becoming a whole image.

As well, the Epson durabright inks that I use intensify over the first several hours. I can print at night, put them aside, and see the creation in the morning.

Isn't technology absolutely amazing?

Brad
  • larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I think technology is AMAZING!..always have.....digital darkroom right here in my house...unthinkable two years ago.

Rutt, I'm more like you. I love to glory in the detail part of making that color print something really special.............and on screen doesn't always mean that's what comes out of my printer.But I'll play with it hours to get what I want.......I'm probably pretty picky, too.
    Fortunately, or un-fortunately I'm at that point where "all appliances, color coordinated" is beginning to apply in a major way to my overall workflow, so I've a huge new learning curve in front of me.......yes sir!
    ...and I do love saturated color.
    ........but for the times they do come out as I have planned........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! and you can probably hear me in New York.
    I think everything that is happening in this (very expensive) field is exciting.

Den
    den.smugmug.com
    edited March 5, 2005
    color is way cool
    lark wrote:
    I think technology is AMAZING!..always have.....digital darkroom right here in my house...unthinkable two years ago.

Rutt, I'm more like you. I love to glory in the detail part of making that color print something really special.............and on screen doesn't always mean that's what comes out of my printer.But I'll play with it hours to get what I want.......I'm probably pretty picky, too.
    Fortunately, or un-fortunately I'm at that point where "all appliances, color coordinated" is beginning to apply in a major way to my overall workflow, so I've a huge new learning curve in front of me.......yes sir!

........but for the times they do come out as I have planned........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! and you can probably hear me in New York.
    I think everything that is happening in this (very expensive) field is exciting.

Den

my wife promised some of my prints off to a charity auction... just printed them, some fall color shots and some beach shots...

the colors pop!

ps: lovely shot, den!
    edited March 5, 2005
    lark wrote:

...and I do love saturated color.

Den
    I've given this advice so many times I know I'm a broken record, but if you want to make great prints there is no better thing you can do than read Dan Margulis. His book, "Professional Photoshop" is a classic and he has some articles online as well. If you learn his techniques, color management will play a smaller part in you workflow. See his web site: http://www.ledet.com/margulis/articles.html
    If not now, when?
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that's the sound i'm making this morning :D

are you high? headscratch.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    fish wrote:
    are you high? headscratch.gif

I think he's in the reading room.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 5, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think he's in the reading room.
    Noxious gas will do it every time rolleyes1.gif

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I don't have a photo-quality printer :cry

I think I'll get a print off of my site...