Options

Monopod

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited March 7, 2005 in Accessories
I'm checking this monopod out. I'm very interested in it. Anyone have this or know about it?

Giottos MM 9150 5-Section Monopod - Supports 33 lb (15 kg)

Giottos Monopod

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    20" is a bit long for me, I am loking at the carbon fiber models too.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    luckyrwe wrote:
    20" is a bit long for me, I am loking at the carbon fiber models too.
    I'm 5'10 - 5'11 so it would be perfect for me.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    I'm 6'4, I just won't carry anything too long.

Except a lens. :D
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I'm 6'4, I just won't carry anything too long.

Except a lens. :D
    You do know that it has 5 sections, is only 1.5lbs :)
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Yup, but at 20" it will not be with me when I most need it.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Looks nice. I've never used a monopod, so I'm interested to hear how you like it.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Looks nice. I've never used a monopod, so I'm interested to hear how you like it.
    Thanks I haven't either, but I think it may help my hockey shots plus just all around general shots.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    I have a monopod that is rarely used. It's a combination walking stick/ monopod, but walking stick first. My only complaint is the head does not move. I found myself contorting around the stick to get the shot.

Dave
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Got a manfroto for Christmas - need help w/ ball head.
    My dh got a nice manfroto one - the camera guy recommended it as being useful later with big lensesmwink.gif (ie dh is thinking ahead!).

I am shooting indoor soccer and have been thinking that my shots suffer from camera shake. The monopod is quite restrictive in terms of angle of shot etc, so I am thinking I am going to have to find a ball head for it.Can anyone recommend a good but inexpensive one, please?

ann
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    I have a Monifrotto, or whatever..........the one I don't use much as I get better photos without it.

I can set it up horizontally. But vertically, I have no control in tightening anything so that the camera is steady.

Has anyone experienced that. I have the ball thing, and the adapter. I keep the adapter on my camera.

Vertically challenged, in every way,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    Ann McRae wrote:
    My dh got a nice manfroto one - the camera guy recommended it as being useful later with big lensesmwink.gif (ie dh is thinking ahead!).

I am shooting indoor soccer and have been thinking that my shots suffer from camera shake. The monopod is quite restrictive in terms of angle of shot etc, so I am thinking I am going to have to find a ball head for it.Can anyone recommend a good but inexpensive one, please?

ann
    I picked up the inexpensive Manfrotto at around $50 with a quick-release
    mount.

I don't remember the number. But I don't generally leave it on the mono.
    To get the "odd" angle, I will sometimes put the base of the 'pod against my
    foot and swing around that way (tilt). But to combine pan and tilt without a
    head can be painful.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann

I have a monopod I rarely use because for most of my scenic and landscape work a monopod just is not worth its weight. But if I was a sport shooter I would use it almost all the time. A good monopod will support the weight of the 1D and its long glass and allow you to concentrate on the shot. It also MAY allow you perhaps 1/2 to 1 stop slower shutter speed without blurring the image.

I would strongly rec carbon-fiber at a hockey rink or outdoors. Aluminum is generaly cheaper but a LOT COLDER on the hands. Carbon-fibre does not feel near as cold in cold weather.
    I do not think you want a ball head on a monopod - I use Arca-Swiss heads on my tripods, but on my monopod I went with the reccomendation of the people at www.reallyrightstuff.com and simply ordered their tilting quick release clamp shown here
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html

Read what they say on this page - These are good people and they do know what they are talking about when it comes to tripods, monopods and quick release clamps. You do have a L-bracket for you camera don't you? If not, you should! I attach an RRS L-bracket to a new body when I purchase it as a matter of course.
    Call them and talk to them - tell them what you are shooting - they will talk you through it. i have dealt with them many times and never been sorry. Their stuff is not cheap - it does not look cheap, nor does it break in the field where it counts!

My monopod is a Gitzo 1588 Mk2. Probably overkill, but that is just me - I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Thanks pathfinder
    I would strongly rec carbon-fiber at a hockey rink or outdoors. Aluminum is generaly cheaper but a LOT COLDER on the hands. Carbon-fibre does not feel near as cold in cold weather.
    Thankfully hockey rinks are not in my vocabulary! This one has a nice grip on it that was only a bit cold after a night in my car.

I do not think you want a ball head on a monopod - I use Arca-Swiss heads on my tripods, but on my monopod I went with the reccomendation of the people at www.reallyrightstuff.com and simply ordered their tilting quick release clamp shown here
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html

Read what they say on this page - These are good people and they do know what they are talking about when it comes to tripods, monopods and quick release clamps. You do have a L-bracket for you camera don't you? If not, you should! I attach an RRS L-bracket to a new body when I purchase it as a matter of course.
    Call them and talk to them - tell them what you are shooting - they will talk you through it. i have dealt with them many times and never been sorry. Their stuff is not cheap - it does not look cheap, nor does it break in the field where it counts!

This is great info and I will certainly investigate it further. I am forced to shoot from a fixed location at about 1/3 the length of the field, and today I know my problem was that my center focus was finding the ground more often than the player - I need to be able to tilt, I tell you:D

ann
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    I've tried using a monopod as a replacement for a tripod, and found it to be useless in that role.

However, I think Pathfinder has it right. A monopod is useful for supporting big lenses at sporting events, when you need some help with the weight of the glass. When you're shooting sports, generally (but not always) your shutter speed ought to be high enough to avoid camera shake. The monopod just makes it easier to keep the lens up and pointing in the right direction, I reckon.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I've tried using a monopod as a replacement for a tripod, and found it to be useless in that role.

However, I think Pathfinder has it right. A monopod is useful for supporting big lenses at sporting events, when you need some help with the weight of the glass. When you're shooting sports, generally (but not always) your shutter speed ought to be high enough to avoid camera shake. The monopod just makes it easier to keep the lens up and pointing in the right direction, I reckon.
    I found a monopod indispensible while shooting almost 4,000 pictures during a 2-day long soccer tournament of 10-11 year olds girls...

The best shots were taken with the camera at the height of the girls' shoulder/head, a position that would be uncomfortable over a long period of time. Taking pictures from adult height down to them did not look as good.

And, the monopod made it easy for me to hold the camera off to the side to watch the game, and then quickly put it in front of my face at the right height to take a shot. Of course, it got rid of camera shake too -- toward the end of the day, available light was starting to get pretty low.
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    I have a bogen 679 and use my Bogen 488RC2 quick realise head with it.
    Now I haven't used it as much a the tripod but the times I did it worked rather well.
    The mono pod is nice when you know you just won't be able to use or carry a tripod.
    Iv herd a couple of comments on aluminum being colder than the carbon models, yes this is true but both my tripod and mono pod have rubber foam covers over them. The tripod has it over 2 legs but not the third one for some reason.
    So unless you decide to carry it by the one leg that doesn't have the rubber foam cover then it's no colder than a carbon.
    The mono pod is light as it can be, I don't see how it could get a lot lighter.
    That's my 2cents anyway.

16828848-M-1.jpg16828849-M-1.jpg
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    EMCEMC Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    MONOpods
    I shoot sports - soccer primarily and 90 minute soccer games make it a must....I have 2 monopods - the first is lightweight QSX EX Pod by Quantaray (available at Wolf Camera for around $50) which supports up to 3.3 lbs & has a 3-way pan head. I am 5'9', and this one extends to over 62" in height and folds down to only 22.8

After investing in a Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS I had to get something that would support the extra weight (camera, battery grip & lense) and got the Dynatran AT-1016 from AMVONA.com for under $100. It has a grip action ball head as well as quick-action levers for fast set-up and breakdown and extends to 77 in.

I keep both with me at all times. Easy to set up, break down, and doesn't take up much room. (& could use it as a weapon if needed rolleyes1.gif )