Options

The Ride You Really, Really Want

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
edited January 4, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I spent a few hours at the Indianapolis Auto Show wandering around looking at the new cars, and came across a vehicle I was not really expecting to see quite yet, the Nissan GT-R. This is the car that has the 5th fastest time at Nurbirgring for all production cars, including $500K supercars. Almost 500Hp, and all wheel drive. Carbon fibre everywhere. The car mags have been raving about this vehicle for months. Expected price ~$80k

The lighting was multiple, direct overhead, tin cans in the ceiling - so it basically sucked. All these images were shot with a G9, processed in Adobe RAW and Noisewear, since they were shot at ISO 200 or faster.

Nissan GT-R from the front
238524983-XL.jpg

From the back
238525345-XL.jpg

From the quarter panel
238525715-XL.jpg

6 piston Brembo brake calipers
238526487-XL.jpg

Headlight of a Pontiac Solstice
238557266-XL.jpg

Speedo of a Mini Cooper Clubman
238527272-XL.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 1, 2008
    Car shows are just the ticket in the dead of winter :D

Gorgeous stuff, both cars and the results from your G9 as well nod.gif The GT-R is indeed an amazing vehicle. I was happy to read of it's coming to the US, not that I can afford one, but the car has a cult following in the half of the world I'm currently in. The older ones are a dime a dozen down here in Aus, although, not the spec R's.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    Don't you just love all the current headlight designs?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    I do actually - Mercedes, BMW, Pontiac's Solstice, so many different headlight appearances these days. That was why I shot the Solstice, just a cool looking object in its own right.

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I spent a few hours at the Indianapolis Auto Show wandering around looking at the new cars, and came across a vehicle I was not really expecting to see quite yet, the Nissan GT-R. This is the car that has the 5th fastest time at Nurbirgring for all production cars, including $500K supercars. Almost 500Hp, and all wheel drive. Carbon fibre everywhere. The car mags have been raving about this vehicle for months. Expected price ~$80k
    The lighting was multiple, direct overhead, tin cans in the ceiling - so it basically sucked. All these images were shot with a G9, processed in Adobe RAW and Noisewear, since they were shot at ISO 200 or faster.
    Nissan GT-R from the front
    From the back
    From the quarter panel
    6 piston Brembo brake calipers
    Headlight of a Pontiac Solstice
    Speedo of a Mini Cooper Clubman

Wow Jim, these all look great, and I am so not a car person :jawdrop
    That Nissan GT is a really nice shape, I love the back of it .
    Glad you got a side view for us.

I knew you'd gotten yourself a G9, so what do you think so far?

Awesome Series Jim clap.gif .... Skippy :D

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    The G9 is a handy device. Certainly not a DSLR replacement, AF is still slow compared to a 40D. It is still noisy too - I could see noise in these images at ISO 200, prior to NoiseWear's effect. Files are large - 12 MPxls.

But it is small, handy, and the IS makes it pretty useful, more for stationary objects like cars at a car show, than for kids playing probably.

It does allow manual focusing to allow pre-focusing to allow quicker shooting. It also offers RAW, which I use routinely.

Several of these shots were shot near 1/10th or 1/15th second since it does use IS.

The small sensor helps create great depth of field - the Solstice headlight was shot at f2.8 - try that aperture on a DSLR and try to get that kind of DOF.

A very useful tool, is how I think of it, Skippy, not perfect yet by a long shot, but getting better.

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,927 moderator
    edited January 2, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    The G9 is a handy device. Certainly not a DSLR replacement, AF is still slow compared to a 40D. It is still noisy too - I could see noise in these images at ISO 200, prior to NoiseWear's effect. Files are large - 12 MPxls.

But it is small, handy, and the IS makes it pretty useful, more for stationary objects like cars at a car show, than for kids playing probably.

It does allow manual focusing to allow pre-focusing to allow quicker shooting. It also offers RAW, which I use routinely.

Several of these shots were shot near 1/10th or 1/15th second since it does use IS.

The small sensor helps create great depth of field - the Solstice headlight was shot at f2.8 - try that aperture on a DSLR and try to get that kind of DOF.

A very useful tool, is how I think of it, Skippy, not perfect yet by a long shot, but getting better.

Interesting...as I tend to do, I just looked at the pics before reading the text and I was impressed with the clarity. I never would have guessed that it was a P&S. Pretty impressive.

Oh yeah, and cool shots too.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    Richard, these were handheld, typically ~f2.8 - f4.0 1/15 or 1/25th ISO 200

I have not commented on the optical quality of the lens before, but when processing these images and others with the G9, I do look for chromatic aberration to correct it in ARC. I, typically, look at the image at 300% for green/red or yellow/blue fringing to correct. I see a little sometimes, but then if I look carefully I see some sometime with L lenses like the 24 T&S also.

In short, I think the optics are pretty fair, and when shot with a tripod, pretty good indeed. Certainly capable of 11x14 image with reasonable quality.

• Options
    jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Don't you just love all the current headlight designs?

Cuong
    Can I be the first, and probably only one to say no? Sorry.. but I am very very old-school when it comes to headlights.. this is my idea of beauty, in the headlight vein anyway:

IMG_2408.jpg

But I would take that Nissan any day... gorgous car and very well captured.

jamie
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    I think I've seen that Chevy before...:D :D

165400612-L.jpg

• Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    That Nissan is amazing. The DW walked by and said "nice car" Now the seed is plantedrolleyes1.gif now if I can win the lottery I'll be set.

More old headlights:

95771779-L.jpg

And like other things they look better in pairsmwink.gif

95717034-L.jpg

Sorry for the highjack

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    I love new cars, but none of them have the style of ... oh, say ... pre-1958 (or so) cars had:
    872141298_4a78a52206.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 3, 2008
    Good by Audi. Helllllooooo Nissan!

OK. Maybe not. But that is a gorgeous looking car.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Nice shots Pathfinder.

Can I play?

DSC_7250_edited-2.jpg

Found in an auto graveyard.
    I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Sure, the more the merrier:D

239404867-L.jpg

• Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Can I play?
    I like old headlights!
    209831105-L.jpg
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Taillights, too?

109386953-L-1.jpg

Nice shots, Jim!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    The nissan GTR beats allmost everything exept them supercars ( koeningsegg,mclaren f1 and so on )

Bin in love with skylines since the day i saw my first one!..Amazing car that can handle insane amout of power..Think the worldrecord is about 1500 hp street legal.

Nice pictures folks..