Forum Feature Idea - timestamps

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
edited March 7, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
When I search New Posts, I know that it lists in reverse chronological order, which is of course the whole idea. What would be nice to also have in this listing is the date and time the thread first began.

What often happens (at forums almost everywhere) is that thread names that are similar (example B.O.D.) can get bumped to the top that could be several weeks old. I think that a date inclusion of when the thread first started could help us sort through more quickly which thread is the one we actually want to open and read.

Similarly, when I read through my own posts, I have no real idea if any activity has occured since I have last posted. As it is now, I need to open them and jump to the end of each thread to see if any new content has been added. If the My Posts listing also showed when the thread began, and also when the last post was added, I could more quickly determine if I should open it up again and read the later replies.

DPR has a feature such as this, and it has been very helpful and greatly reduces time when re-visiting our own posts.

examples of DGrin searches below as they are now...
.forum1.jpg
I can't determine when the Comments thread began :cry , but I can determine when the last post was made :D

forum2.jpg
I can't determine if or when any new content might have been added after my last post in this thread :cry

Are these date and time stamp ideas others might find helpful?
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

DPR has a feature such as this, and it has been very helpful and greatly reduces time when re-visiting our own posts.

dpr? que? who? where? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

anyhow lol3.gif i'll look at the admin sw and check it out. or patch will :D
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    dpr? que? who? where? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

anyhow lol3.gif i'll look at the admin sw and check it out. or patch will :D
    For checking my own posts at a DPR thread, I was refering to the My Threads feature where the latest posting would have date and time. If I knew the last time I checked a thread I posted at was 2 days ago, and there were no new posts in 2 days, then I wouldn't bother to open it up and look for additions. This saved quite a bit of time.

Actually, now that I think about it, the My Threads feature was a misnomer, as it only really tracked "my posts." But no matter, it was otherwise a very efficiant method of navigating through all the postings.

Now that I am nearing 3-figures of posts, I have found no method here of checking back on those posts and threads other than navigating through them all. I just think there might be a quicker way at DGrin then what is currently available.
    My Smugmug
  • Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I understand what David is saying and I fully agree. It is hard to keep up on new post around here. I do like the my threads link at DPR.

Just wanted to let you know that your not alone David.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
    edited March 7, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    For checking my own posts at a DPR thread, I was refering to the My Threads feature where the latest posting would have date and time. If I knew the last time I checked a thread I posted at was 2 days ago, and there were no new posts in 2 days, then I wouldn't bother to open it up and look for additions. This saved quite a bit of time.

Actually, now that I think about it, the My Threads feature was a misnomer, as it only really tracked "my posts." But no matter, it was otherwise a very efficiant method of navigating through all the postings.

Now that I am nearing 3-figures of posts, I have found no method here of checking back on those posts and threads other than navigating through them all. I just think there might be a quicker way at DGrin then what is currently available.

turn on, in cp, subscribe to all threads. turn notification *off* unless you want a lot of emails. now, use quicklinks>subscribed threads. the boldface, and the post icons in the left most columns, will tell you what's new....
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    turn on, in cp, subscribe to all threads. turn notification *off* unless you want a lot of emails. now, use quicklinks>subscribed threads. the boldface, and the post icons in the left most columns, will tell you what's new....
    OK, I have done that. Thanks! Yes, that's a bit better. :D I'd still like to see when a thread was started though, when I look at New Posts.:cry
    My Smugmug
    edited March 7, 2005
    david

i just spent an hour touring through all of the vbulletin settings. .... nothing jjumped out at me, sorry!