Options

My new neighborhood!

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited January 6, 2008 in Journeys
Since we moved I haven't taken the time to see my new neighborhood in slow motion. Yesterday during the snow storm seemed like perfect timing, and it was. Though it was a little bit of a challenge to keep my camera dry. So me and my R1 went for a walk.

I started in our back yard where there's a steep bank that leads to a large creek.
238541857-XL.jpg

Here's the view to the left of the previous one.

238542435-XL.jpg

As I walk down our street towards the dead end, this pretty bow and fence stood out to me.

238542241-XL.jpg

At the end of our street is an empty lot with a couple old sheds falling down and an apple tree that didn't want to give up its fruitage.

238544060-XL.jpg

At the far corner of the empty lot is a path that leads down to the creek, where I thought this was a pretty and wintery sight.

238543709-XL.jpg

So now I'm down on some low ground near the creek where there is standing water in several places, such as this one.

238544322-XL.jpg

So now I find myself climbing back up the hill but on a different path. When I reached someone's (potato?) celler in their back yard, I thought I better get off their property!

238545153-XL.jpg

I came out, crossed the street and headed up a road up a hill and liked this scene

238546053-XL.jpg

These red berries against the white snow are such a neat contrast.

238545209-XL.jpg

I thought a picture of this lamp from a neighbor's house might make a neat greeting card.

238546491-XL.jpg

And finally, as I walk down another side street to return to my house, this overflowing stream looked great against the background of this footbridge someone built in their yard.

238547352-XL.jpg

It was nice to get out and get some winter photos. I don't have too many because daylight is short, and on the weekend it's sometimes hard to make myself go out in the cold! I'm so glad I did, it was nice to appreciate some of the pretty sights in our new 'hood.

Tessa
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Very nice images of your new neighborhood. I can feel the cold snow from your pics even though it's warm in the office. How did you protect your camera from the wet snow?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Very nice images of your new neighborhood. I can feel the cold snow from your pics even though it's warm in the office. How did you protect your camera from the wet snow?

Cuong

Thanks! I put my camera bag close around my neck so the camera was easy to grab (which looked silly). It's kind of square with a double-zippered opening on the top. When I was ready to take a pic, I'd pull out the camera, take it, then wipe off the snow off the lens and put it back. Many of my photos had obvious 'drips' on the lens. But I kept a filter on it to help protect it from all the wiping.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    ob_3ob_3 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    great series, thanks for sharing
    -say cheese !

Nikon d200w/ grip, 18-70 Nikkor , 85mm 1.8 , 50mm 1.8, tokina 12-24
    Nikon n80 w/grip, 28-200 Tamron
    Fuji z6900
    old school Olympus OMG-1
    Sony DSC-H3 point and shoot
  • Options
    Cheri Campbell-GodfreyCheri Campbell-Godfrey Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2008
    Nice job, Tessa! Wish you could have stayed at my house longer, though you guys probably wouldn't have made it home. It is gorgeous here also.

Cheri (Tessa's SIL)
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Love the Apple! mwink.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    kitvan wrote:
    Love the Apple! mwink.gif

thanks - that's my favorite too! it's on my desktop.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DaladoDalado Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    The photo with the fruit is great. The photo makes it seem like the snow came early or the tree is just hanging on from summer. Nice.

D.
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    very "winter wonderland-esque".. gorgeous!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe