Options

400 horse and 1 broken dream :(

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited January 6, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
My friend builds cars, actually hea construct anything. He is a hell of a craftsmen. 1 day he descided to go for a highpower streetcar. A bmw 320 E30. Stock its a straight 6 cylinder 170 hp machine. Rather fun since the engine is tuned like a race engine stock. With a highrev chracter. Combined with a small coupe and rwd its fun....But with 400 horses and a turbocharger...Its insanely fun!.

So close to the finish. He didn´t manage to keep this project. All the swedish laws with roadcars are very strickt. So get this one approved byt the swedish rules = impossible. So driving it would be a risk. And there was alot of money put into it. So he descided to sell it.

Here is some buildpics i wanted to share with you guys. ( since i know there is people who likes cars in here )

Shots taken with my old finepix 9500 with no knowledge of photagraphy behind the trigger =). enjoy.

1. The new engineblock and the gearbox

239327066-L.jpg

2. Horsepower need fuel. Extra fuel right ino the plenum.

239326668-L.jpg

3. Alot of steelcutting for the turbo exhaust system.

239327539-L.jpg

4. A turbo big enough to deliver about 450 horse, and the engine ventilation to the left.

239327801-L.jpg

5. A bit of testing...Seems to fit rather well.

239328111-L.jpg

6. The front mountet intercooler to keep the air cooler. Cold air = more power =).

239328409-L.jpg

7. Closeup.

239328700-L.jpg

8. The bigger oilcooler.

239329093-L.jpg

9. Well here it is..Turned out kinda good lookin imo :).

239329437-L.jpg

10. The last one...Redy to turn the key =).

239329782-L.jpg

I have to say that the old E30 models are build like tanks. Gearbox,driveshafts, differentials, engine internals and all that..Can take a hughe ammount of power before breaking down. Gearbox can stand like 500 same as the rear end. Amazing for such a small car :D.

Thanx for looking and ask me questions if someone want´s to know a bit more. I got all the geek info for you guys =).

So long and have a nice day!.

Comments

• Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Very nice build, a real shame he can't drive it though. Track-only car too impractical?
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    My friend builds cars, actually hea construct anything. He is a hell of a craftsmen. 1 day he descided to go for a highpower streetcar. A bmw 320 E30. Stock its a straight 6 cylinder 170 hp machine. Rather fun since the engine is tuned like a race engine stock. With a highrev chracter. Combined with a small coupe and rwd its fun....But with 400 horses and a turbocharger...Its insanely fun!.

So close to the finish. He didn´t manage to keep this project. All the swedish laws with roadcars are very strickt. So get this one approved byt the swedish rules = impossible. So driving it would be a risk. And there was alot of money put into it. So he descided to sell it.

Here is some buildpics i wanted to share with you guys. ( since i know there is people who likes cars in here )

Shots taken with my old finepix 9500 with no knowledge of photagraphy behind the trigger =). enjoy.

1. The new engineblock and the gearbox
    2. Horsepower need fuel. Extra fuel right ino the plenum.
    3. Alot of steelcutting for the turbo exhaust system.
    4. A turbo big enough to deliver about 450 horse, and the engine ventilation to the left.
    5. A bit of testing...Seems to fit rather well.
    6. The front mountet intercooler to keep the air cooler. Cold air = more power =).
    7. Closeup.
    8. The bigger oilcooler.
    9. Well here it is..Turned out kinda good lookin imo :).
    10. The last one...Redy to turn the key =).
    I have to say that the old E30 models are build like tanks. Gearbox,driveshafts, differentials, engine internals and all that..Can take a hughe ammount of power before breaking down. Gearbox can stand like 500 same as the rear end. Amazing for such a small car :D.
    Thanx for looking and ask me questions if someone want´s to know a bit more. I got all the geek info for you guys =).
    So long and have a nice day!.

Wow its bigger than a TONKA Toy isn't it :D
    Gosh he wouldn't be able to afford to fill the tank too often I bet.
    Too bad, he had to sell it after putting so much work into it.

Didn't get a shot of the finished car??? or didn't he finish it off before he sold it?

That is quite a car Arvan thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    BikePilot wrote:
    Very nice build, a real shame he can't drive it though. Track-only car too impractical?

It´s a fully driveable streetcar...Just that the swedish trafficlaws don´t allow this kind tuning because of the exhaust values or whatever. Was men to be a "illegal" streetcar..Allthough the fees for getting caught is insanely high. I quess someone made hi reconsider :).

Well my frieend builds new things like every month or so...Darn he loves that garage. Allthough he never get the money back for the work he put down in his creations.