Options

Catching snow in photo

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited January 9, 2008 in Technique
One would figure I could get snow flakes looking as beautiful in photos as it looks falling gracefully to the ground, but nope I can't.

Can someone give me some pointers. I have tried many settings, but I'm missing it :scratch

Dogdots/Mary

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Start out by playing w/ your flash.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Start out by playing w/ your flash.

I played with and without my flash. Did catch one flake--yippie. I will keep playing around with it as it just seems to keep on snowing here.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Another thing to do is bump up the shutter speed to the 500+ range. It needs to be very bright outside to do this.

or..

Switch your camera to Aperture priority and start out by opening up the aperture as wide as it goes on your lens (make the f number as small as it can go). This will reduce your DOF but allow your flash to work more effectively.

Opening up your aperture will increase the DOF but the flash will have to work harder (that's what a flash was made for though)

Do you have a speedlight? If you do crank the speedlight up to full power and play around w/ the aperture. If not, there should be a setting in your camera that should allow you to set you on camera flash to full power manually.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Another thing to do is bump up the shutter speed to the 500+ range. It needs to be very bright outside to do this.

or..

Switch your camera to Aperture priority and start out by opening up the aperture as wide as it goes on your lens (make the f number as small as it can go). This will reduce your DOF but allow your flash to work more effectively.

Opening up your aperture will increase the DOF but the flash will have to work harder (that's what a flash was made for though)

Do you have a speedlight? If you do crank the speedlight up to full power and play around w/ the aperture. If not, there should be a setting in your camera that should allow you to set you on camera flash to full power manually.

I don't have a speedlight, but will try to open up my aperture as wide as it goes. I haven't done that yet. I have tried it in AP and everything else.

As for bumping up my shutter speed and needing it to be bright outside to do it----its been cloudy for what seems forever with 14+ inches of snow on the ground.

I did get a photo with 3 white dots in it and I have gotten photos with the snow looking like comets going thru it. Not good.

I know there is a secret to it and hopefully I will get it figured out before winter is over :D

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    3n-out3n-out Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    One would figure I could get snow flakes looking as beautiful in photos as it looks falling gracefully to the ground, but nope I can't.

Can someone give me some pointers. I have tried many settings, but I'm missing it headscratch.gif

Dogdots/Mary

Mary,

I would be happy just to see snow. Hasn't snowed here in San Antonio since 1983. I haven't seen it since.
    If you don't have creative enthusiasum all you have is a camera in your hands!

My Webpage - http://www.3n-out.com
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2007
    3n-out wrote:
    Mary,

I would be happy just to see snow. Hasn't snowed here in San Antonio since 1983. I haven't seen it since.

Wow since 1983....I will send you some :D We have plenty of it.

I love the snow---but not the cold that comes with it. I feel like I'm sitting in a freezer that needs to be defrosted rolleyes1.gif

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    3n-out3n-out Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Wow since 1983....I will send you some :D We have plenty of it.

I love the snow---but not the cold that comes with it. I feel like I'm sitting in a freezer that needs to be defrosted rolleyes1.gif

Dogdots/Mary

Hey there is probably a profit to be made if you can figure out how to get snow in South Texas. I'm sure there would be a lot of happy children too.
    If you don't have creative enthusiasum all you have is a camera in your hands!

My Webpage - http://www.3n-out.com
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    3n-out wrote:
    Hey there is probably a profit to be made if you can figure out how to get snow in South Texas. I'm sure there would be a lot of happy children too.

Love those refridgerator trucks :D I'll just haul some down---we have so much. I watched the kids sledding the other day. They were having a blast.
    Oh, to be young again.....definitely would hurt something now rolleyes1.gif

Weather report....Windchill way below zero here today...I'd take some of your sunshine and heat up here :D

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 1, 2008
    Mary, I think falling snow is best photographed when there is lots of contrast between the snowflakes and the background - flash, of course, is one way to achieve this, but may give results that do not look normal or typical, due to the intensity of the flash illumination.

While watching the snow falling here today, I had a couple thoughts.

Big flakes are much better than small ones - but we rarely get to choose the size of our snowflakes.

A dark background, indeed, a black cloth background might give more contrast to the white flakes falling in front, and offers no contrast to fool our autofocus systems into trying to focus on.

A snooted flash system, shooting at right angles to the black background, will illuminate the falling snow, and not shine any light on the back ground either. This may be the most effective means to photograph falling snow.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Mary, I think falling snow is best photographed when there is lots of contrast between the snowflakes and the background - flash, of course, is one way to achieve this, but may give results that do not look normal or typical, due to the intensity of the flash illumination.

While watching the snow falling here today, I had a couple thoughts.

Big flakes are much better than small ones - but we rarely get to choose the size of our snowflakes.

A dark background, indeed, a black cloth background might give more contrast to the white flakes falling in front, and offers no contrast to fool our autofocus systems into trying to focus on.

A snooted flash system, shooting at right angles to the black background, will illuminate the falling snow, and not shine any light on the back ground either. This may be the most effective means to photograph falling snow.

I took all my shots with an evergreen tree behind all the snow falling. As I thought that would emphasize the snowflakes. I did small flakes falling and really large beautiful flakes falling.

I have really been pondering on how to do this. I have to say that it has consumed my mind lately as thats all I've been seeing this winter....snow falling. Using a black background may be the answer. I will certainly try it. I have held a black paper behind icicles with the sun shining on them. Turned out ok, but the husbands hand kept creeping into the photo :D He was my paper holder.

I tried my flash and it didn't really do anything other then add light to the picture which brightened my green tree :D What is a snooted flash?

Maybe I shouldn't use the autofocus....do it manually.

Or maybe I should try not to get the snow in the photo and then I'd get snow rolleyes1.gif

I thank you for your help. If I get snow I will post it.

Dogdots/Mary

Or as last resort....photoshop snow into the photo :D
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Mary,

A snooted flash is just a flash with something wrapped around it to prevent the flash from spreading out - kind of like barn doors on tungsten lights. Like black aluminum foil that extends out from the flash so it does not spread to the background.

To shoot snow I think you will need to shoot in Manual mode for exposure and shutter speed, and manual focus as well. I doubt AF will do a good job focusing on falling, tumbling snowflakes.

Here are a few links about snoots, Mary

http://dslrblog.com/make-a-diy-flash-snoot

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-cereal-box-snoots-and.html

http://www.honlphoto.com/servlet/the-6/speedlight-strobe-flash-nikon/Detail

Your evergreens may work as a background when you shoot in Manual Mode and Manual focus.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Mary,

A snooted flash is just a flash with something wrapped around it to prevent the flash from spreading out - kind of like barn doors on tungsten lights. Like black aluminum foil that extends out from the flash so it does not spread to the background.

To shoot snow I think you will need to shoot in Manual mode for exposure and shutter speed, and manual focus as well. I doubt AF will do a good job focusing on falling, tumbling snowflakes.

Now you really have me thinking.....something wrapped around the flash. My flash is just the flash that comes on the camera. Nothing special, but I am going to play with it. This could be fun.

I was shooting in manual mode first then went to everything else the camera had to offer because I wasn't getting anything, but with the autofocus on. Never thought about turning it off. Now I will. I was hand shooting, but will use the tripod.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    A tripod may not be necessary, but certainly won't hurt.

You will have to get an estimate of the exposure, to set your shutter speed and aperture, - you will want a smaller aperture for more depth of field I think. On camera flash is not what you want - the light creates no shadows with on-camera flash.

You need to get a light beam - flash or headlight, or Maglite, perpendicular to the shooting axis of your lens - You want the snowflakes side lit or maybe backlit, to help you see them clearer in your image.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    A tripod may not be necessary, but certainly won't hurt.

You will have to get an estimate of the exposure, to set your shutter speed and aperture, - you will want a smaller aperture for more depth of field I think. On camera flash is not what you want - the light creates no shadows with on-camera flash.

You need to get a light beam - flash or headlight, or Maglite, perpendicular to the shooting axis of your lens - You want the snowflakes side lit or maybe backlit, to help you see them clearer in your image.

Hummm.........Makes me think of when your driving at night when the snow is falling and you see it in front of the headllights.....But when you look to the side of your lights...to the side of the road....that is where you would want to shoot your photograph...right? Or am I way off?

Kinda reminds me of a photo I took with ice crystals in the air. I took towards the sun but where the ground was in the photo you could catch some of the crystals in the photo. Not many tho.

Now my brain is churning.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Mary,

When you are driving, your head is higher than the beams from your headlights, that is why you see the snowflakes so well. You are not looking out of your headlight, like you are with on-camera flash.

That is why I suggested side-lighting.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Mary,

When you are driving, your head is higher than the beams from your headlights, that is why you see the snowflakes so well. You are not looking out of your headlight, like you are with on-camera flash.

That is why I suggested side-lighting.

I see why you suggested side lighting. But you came up with something that may be the key......get higher and take the photo with the camera pointing down. Am I off on this one?

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    I think if you try shooting down, you will end up shooting down into the white snow on the ground, and miss your black background, won't you?

You could use backlighting if you don't think you will like sidelighting...

• Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think if you try shooting down, you will end up shooting down into the white snow on the ground, and miss your black background, won't you?

You could use backlighting if you don't think you will like sidelighting...

Oh I have nothing against side lighting. I was just thinking that if you tilt the camera some it might help.

I will give all ideas a try and see what happens.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    harryb007harryb007 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    3n-out wrote:
    Mary,

Wow, deja Vu I am in Maine but was in San Antonio when it snowed in 83. I remember thinking these people cannot drive. If I remember it was not a lot of snow maybe 1-2 inches. lol thanks for the memory jog.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    I found a photo with snowflakes in it clap.gif Sometimes I don't look at my photos and just came upon this one. Edited version is on my site--although I don't know if I like it headscratch.gif

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4104896#239347658-A-LB

Dogdots/MaryKim
    www.dogdotsphotography.com
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Oh I have nothing against side lighting. I was just thinking that if you tilt the camera some it might help.

I will give all ideas a try and see what happens.

Dogdots/Mary

If the flash is on the camera then the flash will just tilt the same amount the camera does. I'm going to have to try out some of these ideas the next time it snows here. Never really tried this!

Does anyone worry about shooting outdoors in snow? Any worries about the camera getting wet? And do people use lens hoods to prevent the front of the lens getting moisture on it?
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    Yes, I think carefully about camera and flashes in the rain and/or snow. My 5D went on vacation for a evening after shooting in the rain in 28 degree temp last January in an ice storm in Missouri. After drying out it fully recovered.

SO a water repellent/proof jacket for camera and lens and flash is worth considering.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    I"ve had my camera out in minus 10 and it worked fine. I was very surprised, but I hopped out of a warm car. My camera sits in the back of the car so its not as warm as up front.

As for snow/rain. I always cover my camera when its raining. And for snow....I'm in and out quickly from the car. I wipe my camera and lens off quickly and if my lens is extended out I leave it out to air dry what ever I missed. I haven't covered it yet----and I probably should and probably will now :D Haven't had any problems yet---knock on wood---
  • Options
    keith204keith204 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    here's one I shot a few days ago. (it's legal to post pics I took right?) sorry new here! Contrary to popular opinion, I opened my aperture a bit wider to make the snow more visible (bigger in this case). I set my speedlite on low power to barely lighten the snow.

96-07decphoto16.jpg
    Keith Kelly - Bolivar, MO

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM
    Lensbaby 2.0

http://www.w3Bolivar.com
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    keith204 wrote:
    here's one I shot a few days ago. (it's legal to post pics I took right?) sorry new here! Contrary to popular opinion, I opened my aperture a bit wider to make the snow more visible (bigger in this case). I set my speedlite on low power to barely lighten the snow.

96-07decphoto16.jpg

I like this---could you post your settings for me? And yes, you may post your photos :D
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like this---could you post your settings for me? And yes, you may post your photos :D

40D, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, 17mm w/ 17-85IS, ISO400, 430ex flash fired manual (non ETTL) and I think I had it set at like 1/8 power.

I blew up a 20x30 of this, it looks real good except for the snowflakes...on a 20x30 the snowflakes are just huge and almost look like spots on the lens. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with f/8 or so...but no regrets :)

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Lensbaby 2.0

• Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    keith204 wrote:
    40D, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, 17mm w/ 17-85IS, ISO400, 430ex flash fired manual (non ETTL) and I think I had it set at like 1/8 power.

I blew up a 20x30 of this, it looks real good except for the snowflakes...on a 20x30 the snowflakes are just huge and almost look like spots on the lens. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with f/8 or so...but no regrets :)

Thanks a bunch :D I will try these settings.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    jlw wrote:
    Shoot at night near some streetlights and you'll be able to photograph the flying snowflakes caught in the light against a dark background.

If there's no streetlight handy and if you've got an extension cable for a flash, hold the flash so it cross-lights the area in front of your lens. You'll catch the snowflakes in the beam.

An easy way to keep your camera and lens dry is to sit in a car with the window down and shoot out the window! Helps keep the photographer warm as well.

The real problem I always have with snow photos is that even if you get a photo that shows the flakes really well, it never quite conveys the sensation you get from being outside during a beautiful snowfall. There are too many other sensory impressions that photography doesn't capture.

I like the idea of sitting in the car :D It isn't much fun being out in the cold. I will try your idea of the snow falling under a street light or by the car lights.

Your so right---some things are best to experience and not just see in a photo. I love walking in a beautiful snowfall at night.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks a bunch :D I will try these settings.

Just go play, you have a digital right? Shoot the same scene with all kinds of different settings...you can always see the EXIF data later so you know which settings worked the best

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Lensbaby 2.0

• Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    keith204 wrote:
    Just go play, you have a digital right? Shoot the same scene with all kinds of different settings...you can always see the EXIF data later so you know which settings worked the best

Yes...I have the XTI.

You are right---just play with the settings. Wish me luck...because we have been thawing for the last couple days...I'm hoping for snow and lots of it :D Then again up here...our winter is far from over.