Options

Old Steel Mill

CMasterCMaster Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited March 8, 2005 in Landscapes
I finally got out yesterday after being consumed by the flu and the extended recovery period. I got to explore an area down by some of the still active steel mills. Well, some of the still active ones are surrounded by dormant and decaying buildings. This of course sets up a nice scene for some black and white (or an attempt at B&W :dunno)

Although not in B&W, I liked the negative space of this shot. If I understand the idea of negative space.
16627658-L.jpg

Framing through a window. A favorite composition of mine, not sure my capture here is all that dramatic though...
16627659-L.jpg

This one had to stay in color. I liked the contrast of the brick colors and the green and yellow. Not to mention the blue container in the lower right.
16627664-L.jpg

One of my favorites. I like the difference in time here. The old decaying brick, the slightly newer sign, and the modern refuse. I would have loved to have left this in color. The cup was red and the bottle had a purple sleeve. But I couldn't get the blown highlight out of the plastic bottle. :wxwax
16627665-L.jpg

Call me a sucker for decay. I like how everything is broken in this image. Collapsing brick, missing windows, and paint peeling.
16627669-L.jpg

This is the same building here from the last shot. I believe this building has been standing since the turn of the century (1900). Amazing that it's still standing.
16627673-L.jpg

If you're interested, you can see the rest of the gallery

Any and all input is very welcomed! I alway appreciate critques as I'm still very new to this.

Thanks for looking!
-- Paul (pmack.smugmug.com)

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Paul
    Great shots clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    I love these kind photos
    The only thing I would do is use the free transform in ps to straghten some of the photos edges.

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
    Very impressive series. thumb.gif Love the "broken" shot with the bricks cascading downward. Michael Reichmann, if I recall, had a series similar to this posted on his site about a year ago.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
    Well Paul I took the time to write my comments on each of your 6 photos (a lot for one thread) and just as I clicked on "submit reply" I lost my wireless connection! Grrrrrrrrrrr. Suffice to say I like your photos. :):
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Great stuff! I really like the brick wall photos. Nice bw conversion too. thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    I agree... Great pics. I tried to get some like that the other day... No luck. Anyway. I won't spend time commenting on each one... My luck is like Angelo... I would lose all my info.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    djkdjk Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2005
    These shots are incredible! I love these kinds of photos - they make me wonder what it looked like before nature and neglect took their course.

When summertime comes around I plan on going driving through rural Alberta and taking these kinds of shots when I see them. I saw things like this on various trips last year, but I didn't stop to get the shot. :-(
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    I saw these when you first posted, I like the shot of the bridge, I love the contrast between the purity of the snow and the dereliction of the scenery and thought as I scrolled, I would find more more snow. I know you get what you can, but if the opportunity arises a reshoot in the snow would be smart. The shots of the dereliction are very striking. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Great shots, skunkhatman! thumb.gif

Can you give us a little historical background on the mill? Where is it? How did you get access to it? etc etc.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    WOW! These are awesome. I really like 1 (straighten the lines a bit though) 3 and 4. I especially like the use of negative space on 1 and the contrasting colors on 3. All of them are great though.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    Many thanks everyone for your comments/feedback and kind words. It's much appreciated! clap.gif Sorry it took me so long to get a reply back umph.gif

A couple of you mentioned that some of these need rotated and on a second glance, I see it now. I'll play around with them some and see if I can get it.

All of these photos were taken in Johnstown, Pennsylvania in the old Bar and Rod division of the now defunct Bethlehem Steel. After doing some research I've found that this area is a nationally recognized historic landmark and some of the buildings in the area date back to 1854. Since steel was the lifeblood of Johnstown and is no more, tourism seems to be it's last resort. So access to these areas is pretty open right now. Some of the surrounding buildings are going through restoration, but who knows if this one will be saved.

The Lower Cambria Works (for those interested in some of the history).
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    I saw these when you first posted, I like the shot of the bridge, I love the contrast between the purity of the snow and the dereliction of the scenery and thought as I scrolled, I would find more more snow. I know you get what you can, but if the opportunity arises a reshoot in the snow would be smart. The shots of the dereliction are very striking. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Yeah, this was taken on Sunday right before we were supposed to get dumped on with snow. But, right now, we've got a bit more and hopefully it'll stick around a day or two until I can get back down there. Right now would be the perfect time to get down there...now if i can just figure out how to get out of the office now... headscratch.gif

Thanks for your feedback Stan, much appreciated! thumb.gif
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I really like your old industrial pictures. Where I live, in New England, we have many towns with old mill buildings that also have interesting shapes and textures. They make great photo subjects and I'm gradually building a collection.

What is great is that many of the old mills have a new life, housing things such as nice condos and hi-tech industry.

When I have time, I'll be sure to follow your link to the other pictures you took.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Terrific shots!!

I love what you've done in B/W and personally I think the slight tilted angle really fits the shaggy ol' building! clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for sharing!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl