Options

Christmas in Korea

FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited January 7, 2008 in Journeys
I visited Korea for 4 days starting from December 25th, 2007. I departed from my home town in Nagoya, Japan on Christmas day. It only takes 1 1/2 hours by plane. I went with my wife and daughter. I wanted to take more and better pictures but it was really difficult. I took along my picture tracking GPS device for the first time so most of my pictures have locations attached.

When we arrived I was surprised that Korea was so crowded since the 25th isn't a holiday in Japan. In Korea it's a holiday and they spend it downtown where our bus to the hotel had to traverse. It was a big bus and we got stuck 2 times because of cars parked in the wrong places. I get car sick and a migraine sitting in the bus in traffic for 4 hours. After the second time the bus got stuck we packed up and started walking for the hotel leaving our bags behind to be delivered.

I did the all day tour of the DMZ on my third day. They restrict pictures unless your in a designated area. The tour guide said if the solders catch you they can cancel all the tours for the day so I did as they asked.

The DMZ was my favorite part of Korea for this trip. I read all the history behind the border and separation of North and South beforehand. I recommend that everyone read about it as it is very interesting and sad.
The separation of the same people who speak the same language but on two different sides secretly egg d on by 2 super powers is what exactly reminds me of Berlin. Having been to the Berlin Wall before and after it came down I can see the many similarities between the two.

Reunification is the big hope for South Korea and I bet for the North Koreans when they finally figure it out. As you can see in my pictures the railway and roads to North Korea are being used for trade between the North and South. North Korea is opening up a tiny bit to trade and giving momentum to the Reunification movement.

I didn't do too much else during my stay because the last day was spent having food poisoning. I was really really sick and almost had to be hospitalized. Make sure you get travel insurance even if only 1 1/2 hours away by plane from home!

In Seoul I did manage to visit some temples but not much. We unfortunately took the Japanese tours and they love to send you a bunch of times to all the Duty Free shops that sell the same Channel, etc etc.

Seoul, first day, front of the bus view of the Christmas crowd. Keep in mind we are in a huge bus!
237800849-M.jpg

After the bus got stuck for the second time we walk to the hotel. I snap some pictures on the way.

And what do I need right about now you ask??????

237803011-M.jpg

238197115-M.jpg

237809896-M.jpg

I barely manage to get this one off of the Sungnyemun - Seoul's Historic South Gate while making sure my 3 year old daughter isn't ran over.
237805587-M.jpg
237797051-M.jpg

When in a new country I always sample the products. Milkis is a copy of the famous Japanese Copis drink.
237801840-M.jpg

Whats for breakfast at 8am in Korea??
239118068-M.jpg

Continued on in next post.................
Steve Nelson
Tour Leader - DPRK
Uri Tours
SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Thank you for taking us on your trip! I am the only person in my family who has never been to Korea. It looks very busy as I guess you'd expect from a major city I'm looking forward very much to your photos from the SMZ. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Korea Christmas cont.
    The next day the Japanese tour steers us to more spending money places like a Ginseng Factory where we see for a few minutes a factory then 30 min of a store full of expensive Ginseng. What's interesting is the girl giving the tour is Japanese but has been living in Korea for 20 years. She speaks Korean and Japanese.

237803174-M.jpg

Third day I make my way to the DMZ and the North Korean border. This picture was on the highway that runs along the South Korea beginning of the DMZ. Heavly guarded to keep South Korea in and North Korea out.
    237801647-M.jpg

This is the railway that links North and South.
    237807411-M.jpg

There is a soldier looking through the slit in the green tarp at people on the South Korean side of the fence. I think hes looking at me taking this picture. I realized too late the sign saying no pictures....
    237804590-M.jpg

More towers keeping people in and out. High voltage fences and barb wire.
    237806012-M.jpg

Wall of wishes from people hoping for reunification and to be reunited with family.
    237805463-M.jpg

Dorasan Station, last train station before North Korea. I got my passport stamped here.
    237809356-M.jpg

After seeing the 3rd North Korean tunnel that was built under the DMZ I head on to the Joint Security Area. I see North Korea for the first time.
    237806173-M.jpg

I'm being watched by a North Korean Soldier on the North Korea side of the MDL
    237807160-M.jpg

We enter this blue building in the Joint Security Area. Tourists from the the North also visit this building but at different times with North Korean soldiers. I wanted to see them but we missed them.
    237808939-M.jpg

This is the best of the best RoK soldier in a RoK stance ready for Tae Kwon Do guarding the door to North Korea. He may be short and small but I used to train Tae Kwon Do so trust me when I say they will kick anyones ass. If someone tried running through that door he would be stopped.

237808143-M.jpg

Bridge of No Return - Cross that and your not coming back is right.
    237798484-M.jpg

The Axe Murder Incident - Plaque for victims. North Koreans came and used Axes to killl people for trimming a tree. This is a must read if you never heard about it.
    237798931-M.jpg

Thats it for now, it's late. I'll post more later and more info.

Steve
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Hi Schmoo,

I wish I had more time and wasn't sick. I definitely would of liked to see more.

Is your family from Korea?

Steve
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Thanks for sharing your trip. Fascinating place that I'd like to visit someday.

I'll settle for kimchee for now.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Very interesting trip. I was born in Korea and at that time, never saw Japanese while living there. I guess tours are more common now from other countries. It's interesting to see the old country from a Janpanese point of view.

Man it looks crowded there. Kim Chee is that red cabbage that is being served with breakfast, and every meal for that matter. Maybe that's what made you sick. ha ha ha:D
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    I love kimchi and Korean food , I eat it all the time in Japan. Never had it for breakfast before but it I liked it then too.

I got sick off the hotel Italian pizza ne_nau.gif go figure. Dummy me.

Steve
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Thanks for sharing. The DMZ does not look like it it has changed much since I was there. Great pictures.

I always loved going to Korea, I have spent nearly a year there. All in 8-10 week trips but loved it every time.

Thad