Options

What are some good ways to attach Pocketwizards?

jlwjlw Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 10, 2008 in Accessories
[deleted]

Comments

• Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    jlw wrote:
    -- Hanging it by the lanyard wouldn't let me align the antenna correctly.
    This has me confused. In my, admittedly, limited experience I've not had any transmit/receive problems with PWs. Can you expand on any problems/situations you have encountered?

Thanks
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    jlw wrote:
    I just got the units, so it's more that I want to make sure I have a good way of mounting them before I start using them. (Studio shooting stresses me out enough without having to figure out how to make stuff work while the models are standing around thinking what a dork I am.)

I already tested the Velcro and found it won't hold the unit on the flash head. I'd rather not rely on tape or rubber bands because I'm always losing them or running out.

Do most people just hang them by the lanyard? The instruction manual says it's important to have the antennas parallel if you want to get the best range, so I felt I should try to do that.

Any thoughts?
    Studio shooting - no issues. I've used mine in relatively large wedding receptions venues (55' x 85'), transmitting through walls, etc. I've never had a mis-fire. In a studio, you're talking less then 30' (unless you're really lucky and have a huge studio).

To answer the question, I just hang it by the lanyard from one of the thumb screws on they light stand un such a manner as to take all the stress off the wire connecting the PW with the strobe. It's the way I was taught by Shay Stephens last summer. No issues, no mis-fires, no worries.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 7, 2008
    duct tape worksne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    PW says to hang the antenna vertically.. Have you ever had your PW's not fire due to antenna orientation? I've had my PW's in all kinds of angles upwards of 800' away and NEVER had a misfire.
    The lanyard works perfectly for me in almost all situations. When it doesn't it's just laying on a flat surface.

It's always good to RTFM. But maybe this isn't one of those golden rules. It's just a recommendation.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Pocket Wizards will sometimes misfire if the antenna is "close" to metal. This could be a light stand, catwalk, beam w/superclamp, etc...

Just make sure the antenna is not touching, nor very close to metal. I normally use duct-tape to secure the PW to the top of a paint "stir" stick like you get at Home Depot. Then I'll tape this to the metal object. (stand, beam, etc.) Sometimes just a plain old stick if that's all I can find.

I doubt you'll have issues in a studio, I am referring to long range use, like an arena.

I've not tried the PW Caddy, but it places the antenna pretty close to the stand and in-line with it. Too close for me, but I don't really like having to climb back up to the catwalks to keep adjusting them. YMMV
    Randy
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    I guess I can't keep PW's to close to my head then :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 9, 2008
    I've done the hanging wizards thing and been OK. Admittedly, not in the
    noisy electrical environment though.

I do like those ball bungee cords. The come in handy for all kinds of stuff.
    The device in the first link looks cool too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Just hang it, with lanyard.
    That's why they give it to you.
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    jlw wrote:
    The ball bungees look as if they'd be good for lots of studio lashups. But I'm in a contest to be the last person in America never to set foot in a Wal-Mart, so I can't get them there.

Anyone know of where else they might be available, preferably online? I can just imagine the variety of odd looks (or worse) I might get in local stores if I just walked in and said, "Hi, can I get a ball bungee here?"

Try MidWest Photo Exchange (http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,454.htm)

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Sometimes, when in a hurry, I just hang the PW from the PC cord that is connecting it to the strobeeek7.gif

I'm not sayin' anyone else should do this.........
    :D:D

• Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    DUDE!
    20 lashes for your heresy!
    (I've done it too but I didn't admit openly like you did mwink.gif)
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2008
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif