Options

Kingfisher (My First Post)

ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
edited March 10, 2005 in Wildlife
Hi! I am a recent convert to the world of Digital SLRs. I hung on to my Elan as long as I could, but got fed up with inconsistant photo processing. So my wife and I bought a 20D. Though not usually a birder, this is still one of my favorite shots with the new camera and lens (17-85 EFS), taken at the Asheboro Zoo in NC on New Year's Eve.

15936169-M.jpg
No Photoshopping (I'm not a big fan of it). Just a crop. I actually took his picture once and decided I wasn't close enough. He was kind enough to sit there until I came back. He flew off a couple seconds after the shutter click.

Anyway, howdy! :waveThanks to Ian408 (Hi Ian) for showing me this site and Smugmug! I've already learned a lot (lurking for a while now). I always welcome comments, and may even start posting some of my own...

Chris
Chris

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Hey Chris,

Welcome and I'm glad to see you posting. Good shot of the kingfisher. I've been tring to get a decent shot of a kingfisher for awhile now but they seem to have this irritating habit of perching just far enough way so that you can't get a decent shot. Its nice to see a capture of one of thoise buggers. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 8, 2005
    Howdy Chris :-)
    That's one very pretty Kingfisher thumb.gifthumb.gif Nice job, especially since you didn't use a long lens clap.gif

What, you're not interested in birds? rolleyes1.gif Hang around here long enough and we'll convert ya mwink.gif Some of these little guys are so colorful, they're like flying flowers :): And everybody loves to shoot flowers, right? rolleyes1.gif .....lol

Welcome to Dgrin Chris wave.gif I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics :-)

Thanks for sharing this one,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 8, 2005
    Hey 95, nice shot and welcome to dGrin
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Excellent shot! thumb.gif Love his blue feathers and bright orange beak and feet! :D Welcome aboard!

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    wave.gif welcome to dgrin, thanks for sharing. look forward to more contributions from you!
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Love the angle of the tree branch in relation to the bird! Great shot and welcome to Dgrin! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Chris,

Welcome and I'm glad to see you posting. Good shot of the kingfisher. I've been tring to get a decent shot of a kingfisher for awhile now but they seem to have this irritating habit of perching just far enough way so that you can't get a decent shot. Its nice to see a capture of one of those buggers. thumb.gif
    Thanks, Harry, that's a real compliment especially coming from you! It was cheating though, since it was in an aviary.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    That's one very pretty Kingfisher thumb.gifthumb.gif Nice job, especially since you didn't use a long lens clap.gif

What, you're not interested in birds? rolleyes1.gif Hang around here long enough and we'll convert ya mwink.gif Some of these little guys are so colorful, they're like flying flowers :): And everybody loves to shoot flowers, right? rolleyes1.gif .....lol

Welcome to Dgrin Chris wave.gif I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics :-)

Thanks for sharing this one,
    Steve
    Thanks! I'm interested in birds, I just never seem to get good shots of them. They have this tendency of moving! mwink.gif I do have a 100-300 lens, but I seem like I have to get miles away to get something in focus. And it feels very shakey at full zoom with the 1.6x adjustment.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Thanks for the kudos, everyone. Now I have to try and come up with something better for next time! 11doh.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 9, 2005
    Hiya Chris!

Welcome (and thanks for the referral :D)!

I like the kingfisher aviary or no and I look forward to your comments.

If you're out visiting your bro, holler. Steve and I can introduce you to the
    perc ponds over at Vasona (across from the old Campbell office).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Hiya Chris!

Welcome (and thanks for the referral :D)!

I like the kingfisher aviary or no and I look forward to your comments.

If you're out visiting your bro, holler. Steve and I can introduce you to the
    perc ponds over at Vasona (across from the old Campbell office).

Ian
    Hey Ian! My bro is in NC now raising a family. He got priced out of the Bay Area :uhoh. It's possible I'll be up that way for business this summer, but that may be complicated by our impending new family member. :D

Let me know if you're ever in the Southland! It shouldn't rain for another 6-8 months or so... :):
    Chris