Flash without and with ST-E2

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in Technique
I used the ST-E2 and the flash far to the right at some 90 degrees, hand holded by my wife at 2,5 meters from the ground.
The flash was attached to the end of the monop.
The first one is without flash and the second with flash.
The result is subtle that we can hardly see it is there. I like it ! :D
172967021-M.jpg 172966340-M.jpg

The same thing here.
The first one is without flash and the second with flash.
The result is subtle that we can hardly see it is there. I like it ! :D
172963339-M.jpg 172961398-M.jpg

The result was previewed and intended ! :thumb
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 15, 2007
    Very nice Antonio.

I agree that your images with fill flash are significantly better.

You can see the glass blower's eyes much better in the second image.
    The highlights in the basket have much better contrast and definition with flash also. Nicely demonstrated.

Did you shoot in Manual Mode or Av?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Oh you are there now!
    But of course you do have a convert !bowdown.gif

Why haven't I discovered this before ? :bash

Look at these 3 pictures. They are good. But not that good.
    There have shadows which I wouldn't like to be there.
    It is a large improvement regarding the previous shots.

One thing I must be careful: I tend to shoot Aperture priority and - silly me - I forget to look at the speed. Sometimes the pictures come out blurred. A shame eek7.gif
    172962773-L.jpg172961885-L.jpg 172961265-M.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    edited July 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:

OK Andy. Thank you.
    But remember that his face receives the color of the flame !
    But thank you anyway !thumb.gif
    And in fact he was sweating !
    edited July 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:

But better in the one with flash.

Do you think some of the redness might be from the light from the gas torch, perhaps? Or the heat of the day as well?

Mmmm, Maybe it is sunburn, as it is not really seen up in his hair line where the red is distinctly less.

Interesting anyway.

edited July 15, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    But better in the one with flash.

Do you think some of the redness might be from the light from the gas torch, perhaps? Or the heat of the day as well?

Mmmm, Maybe it is sunburn, as it is not really seen up in his hair line where the red is distinctly less.

Interesting anyway.

I agree that his color skin in rather red (in the photo with flash).
    I have watched that after the work, he was really red and sweating.
    The torch is near and radiates much heat.

The whether was not very hot.
    It was in Sintra and the day was at an agreable temperature to be with a t-shirt and some shorts like I was.
    172967877-Th.jpg 173155056-Th.jpg
    I can try to eliminate a little bit of that red later on using Andy's guide lines.
    Thank you.:Dthumb.gif
    edited July 18, 2007
    This time I have only photos with the flash and using the ST-E2.
    I hope and I wish to be able to shoot something like Brent .
    Meanwhile my pictures from this afternoon are

174431542-M.jpg174432258-M.jpg174433697-M.jpg174433084-M.jpg
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    This time I have only photos with the flash and using the ST-E2.
    I hope and I wish to be able to shoot something like Brent .

Hey Antonio, looks like you're on the right track.

Thank you for your link to Brent's site, it showcases some amazing off-camera ideas, especially for weddings.

Any clue what he's doing so differently than the rest of us? I have an ST-E2 and have used it some, and have had mixed results. I feel like I'm lacking some rules of thumb.

All the best to you!
    Lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited July 21, 2007
    Lynn, good afternoon.

The strobist in this place has some lines and links about this kind of captures.

May be you will like to see and read ...ne_nau.gif

About what he is doing I can link you here, hopping to be of some use. :D

Anyhow he looks like a friendly New Zealand guy and I'm sure he will explain the technique in case you ask him ... :D
    thumb.gif
    edited July 21, 2007
    Basically, Brent is using Flash, opposite sunlight, and using a ratio of about 2:1 - either the flash or the sunlight is the key, and the other is then used as the fill. I see that he frequently uses a light stand for his flash, I wonder if he doesn't use an umbrella sometimes also..... Brent is not using an ST-E2 but controlling lighting ratios by moving his flash towards or away from his subject.

Think of this as fill flash, but with the fill flash not on the camera, but kind of as a cross lighting arrangement.

With the ST-E2, and two EOS flashes, you can kind of do the same thing, controlling two opposed flashes in a 2:1 ratio, or a 3:1 ratio which is set via the ST-E2.

I wrote about using the ST-E2 for candids here

In this post in the linked thread I described using two EOS strobes opposite each other, and triggered and controlled by an ST-E2.

edited July 21, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Basically, Brent is using Flash, opposite sunlight, and using a ratio of about 2:1 - either the flash or the sunlight is the key, and the other is then used as the fill. I see that he frequently uses a light stand for his flash, I wonder if he doesn't use an umbrella sometimes also..... Brent is not using an ST-E2 but controlling lighting ratios by moving his flash towards or away from his subject.

Think of this as fill flash, but with the fill flash not on the camera, but kind of as a cross lighting arrangement.

With the ST-E2, and two EOS flashes, you can kind of do the same thing, controlling two opposed flashes in a 2:1 ratio, or a 3:1 ratio which is set via the ST-E2.

I wrote about using the ST-E2 for
    candids
    here

In this post in the linked thread I described using two EOS strobes opposite each other, and triggered and controlled by an ST-E2.
    Pathfinder.
    Thank you for pointing those threads.thumb.gif and that plain explanation.

What I am in doubt here is the ratio thing.
    I think you mean: flash 2; ambient light 1 ne_nau.gif

I have seen that Brent uses umbrella
    (last picture of this page)
    and pocket wizard.

As a matter of fact, some time ago when I was far away from ST-E2, fill flash etc., I read your 1.st thread quickly and didn't pay much attention.

Now that you pointed it to us, I remember the pictures inserted and I will read them carefully.bowdown.gif

Now I am only using ONE flash. It is used on the top of the monopod and manipulated by an occasional assistant.. :D I understand that the better the assistant the better the photos, because I shoot some 10/15 with different flash positions and moving myself, giving guide lines to my assistant.

May be time will come that I buy another flash and use TWO at the same time.
    But soon, I'll get an umbrella
    to attach to my father's tripod 35 years old !

Have a nice week end.

:D
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Antonio: Very nice work. Keep at it. As with everything we do, practice is the fuel for improvement. The most important thing is you are actually out there and "doing" it.

Definitely read through "Lighting 101" and "Lighting 102" on http://www.strobist.com. There is a wealth of information there. Very well written practical explanations of off-camera lighting from a seasoned news photographer. In particular read the following pages and check out the YouTube video for the cross-lighting technique seen in Brent's work to get an idea of how to "do" it.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-balancing-flash-and.html
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101balancing-flash-with.html
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/06/video-two-speedlight-bikini-shoot.html

For some more Canon-specific off-camera info, check out Chuck Gardener's tutorials at http://super.nova.org/DPR. He advocates a dual 580EX (or 580EX II) setup, which is an expensive way to go but it will give you some serious firepower and flexibility. He is anti-ST-E2, so don't go there looking for ST-ET-specific tips, but the tutorials are just as useful no matter what equipment you have.

Personally, I am skipping the ST-E2 and ordered a cheap wireless trigger off eBay (search for "Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger V2" on your local eBay) for $37US including shipping. Many people on the Strobist group at Flickr use these. They are *not* as reliable as Pocket Wizards or the ST-E2, but it is a very cheap way to get into wireless triggers. Especially for experimentation.

Pocket Wizards an additional flash and assorted lighting accessories are tops on my "to buy" list from reading Strobist, Pathfinder's ST-E2 posts and seeing Brent's work.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
    edited July 22, 2007
    Terrence.
    Thank you for the links.:D

In fact, I already knew the first 2 links on Strobist, but this may be useful for others, and the other one also.

I hope to be able to post more pics on this subject later in the week.
    :Dthumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Thanks for the links everyone! I've read a lot on the strobist site, i must confess I have not taken the time to do the exercises myself. Lots of other great info! thanks!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited July 23, 2007
    Antonio,

I went out this morning, and took a 550ex mounted on a tripod along with me. I tended to point the flash at the shaded side, away from the sunlit side. ( but not always) I used minor -1/3 or so FEC.

I used an ST-E2 to trigger the flash, and I shot in Manual or Av as the mood struck me.... If the light was convenient, Av gave nice backgrounds, otherwise Manual gave more control of ambient balance. Shooting with flash in full sunlight gets you lots of strange looks, but it also gets some pretty sweet images.

The Indianapolis Colts come to town every summer for a summer practice camp. The Swope Museum is conducting an art festival with fiberglass colt statues around town - Appropriately called, "Horsin' Around in Terre Haute" The statues are outside on the sidewalks around the downtown area.

Watch the shadows carefully...

175885440-L.jpg

175883144-L.jpg

175884687-L.jpg

More can be seen here - check the exif data - not all images were flashed.

edited July 23, 2007
    Pathfinder.
    Good morning. :D
    You made quite a lot of wonderfull photos. The one I liked the best is this one
    175882651-Ti.jpg
    Excuse me but I see no reason to cut the legs here 175892975-Ti.jpg

But let's go back to the flash business.
    This show is somehow similar to another one which happened here in Lisbon called Cow Parade .

When it happened in Lisbon I intended to go and shoot some of them but I could not.

Your horses are very nice and I like what you did.

Thank you for remembering this thread ! :D

So, even in plain daylight you succeed.
    However, because ST-E2 works with in the range of the infrared it is normal if sometimes it gives bed results.

Yesterday evening, I have been reading those links of your posts and I tryied to recreate the Christmas scene in my lieving room.

With 400 ISO I could do the shots but I have to try again. I erased all the pictures. I could not have control over the aperture as the lights were not all switched on, it was late and we were preparing to go to sleep.

Yesterday, Sunday, it was the scheduled day to go and shoot Maria Luisa but her parents didn't call me.
    I have to ring them and shoot during the week at the end of the day, I hope.
    I want to use the ST outside.

Today, in spite of beeing Summer - climate changes are obvious these days - it is rainning and cloudy. Nice situation to try the ST but I can't because I have something to do at work now and the equipment is at home.
    I am afraid to keep the hole stuff in the boot of the car. In Summer with bright Sun, the temperature inside the car reaches 50 Celsius and higher sometimes. Too much for the camera.

May be tomorrow if the conditions are the same ... ne_nau.gif I'll be able to try.

Thank you Pathfinder. I'll be in touch ! :D
    thumb.gif

I think you used a CPF in the 1.st photo posted here ...
    edited July 23, 2007
    Pathfinder.
    Good morning. :D
    You made quite a lot of wonderfull photos. The one I liked the best is this one
    175882651-Ti.jpg
    I liked the bright color of the flash versus the slightly darker background also, Antonio. The brick building in the background is a lovely structure, that is absolutely surrounded by light poles and electric wires.
    Excuse me but I see no reason to cut the legs here 175892975-Ti.jpg
    Maybe a square format including the legs would have been better. Maybe, I'll try again. No promises, though.

But let's go back to the flash business.
    This show is somehow similar to another one which happened here in Lisbon called Cow Parade .

When it happened in Lisbon I intended to go and shoot some of them but I could not.

Your horses are very nice and I like what you did.

Thank you for remembering this thread ! :D

So, even in plain daylight you succeed.
    However, because ST-E2 works with in the range of the infrared it is normal if sometimes it gives bed results.

You do need to face the IR sensor of the flash towards the ST-E2 at time when shooting in bright sunlight. Most of my shots with the ST-E2 plus off camera flash were shot about 11 am. Not the best time of the day for sunlit shots.

You can see how high the sun was in the third frame I posted above.

The Cow Parade is very interesting. I had missed that - Thank you for that information. Our ponies represent a copy of sorts, I agree.
    Yesterday evening, I have been reading those links of your posts and I tried to recreate the Christmas scene in my living room.

With 400 ISO I could do the shots but I have to try again. I erased all the pictures. I could not have control over the aperture as the lights were not all switched on, it was late and we were preparing to go to sleep.
    The room I did the Christmas candids in had an 8 foot white ceiling. Keep that in mind.....

I think you used a CPF in the 1.st photo posted here ...
    That was shot with a 24-105 f4 IS and I did not have Circular Polarizer on it. I think the background is just darker than the forground, due to the lighting differential - the Exposure Compensation was - 5/3 per the exif in my gallery.

I am glad you enjoyed the shots Antonio. Dragging a flash on a tripod around with you is annoying, but it certainly gives a lovely quality of light.

edited July 24, 2007
    Now, I have to go in the open air ...
    Enought inside ! :D
    176673534-M.jpg176673139-M.jpg176674285-M.jpg 176672795-M.jpg
    edited September 14, 2007
    I was able to remember this post and I thought it could be useful to others the link herewith.
    Most probably you do know Strobist already but I give you the link anyway.
    The work of Brent is explained and very clear to understand. :D

thumb.gif
    edited January 9, 2008
    Have a look at my home made softbox and results, IYP.

bowdown.gif

:Dthumb.gif
    edited May 18, 2008
    297117528_D9rnq-L.jpg ... 297035353_7A8Wz-L-1.jpg

580 EX II against a wall on our left, with the 20 D and the 16-35mm.
    I tried before with the 480 EX but the result was not this good because the flash was not very powerful enough, so I thought.mwink.gif
    The 580 EX II was a it's minimum power and the wall some 4 meters ways.
    edited May 11, 2009
    I shot these pictures with a Canon 5D (old model), a Canon 24-70 f/2.8, Canon ST E-2 and a Canon 580 EX II.
    The persons were framed by a window and I was inside.

My daughter in law was holding the flash for me at my right holding a simple white A4 against which she was pointing the flash.
    We were both at about 2/3 meters from the subject.
    I worked the picture on LR2 and in CS4 just for the canvas and so.
    The picture looks a little reddish on the father's face but for the moment I don't know how to correct this.
    533234413_wowiM-M-1.jpg
    I used the same procedure on the second photo but the flash was at my left and on the outside of the house.

This time the flash was not bounced but direct. It was some 3 meters away from the subject and there was much light, that is why it doesn't look harsh, I think.
    533691403_dpJD9-L.jpg
    Thank you for watching. bowdown.gifD