Options

Tresure Island

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited January 9, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
The other day JC, and I went up to San Fransisco, and Treasure Island. Treasure Island was built for the 1914 (I think) worlds fair, and was commandeered by the Navy during WW2, and has now been abandoned by them.

There are some toxic clean up issues before the land can be turned over to the city.

There is one area of several acres that has a number of interesting buildings. The San Fransisco fire department uses this area for training, and JC talked (batted her eyes) :D at the section chief, and he let us wonder the facility unsupervised.

We separated to take photos, and I had impression I was wandering in a futuristic SF environment. There were no people around the buildings and the feeling of isolation was palatable. I kept expecting the Borg to beam down an assimilation party. My only wish was that seven of nine would be among them. :wink

I was also reminded of Schmoo.

Here are a few from that site.

Sam

Comments

• Options
    edited January 9, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Sam-

this seems like a pretty cool place!!

Of your shots I like the weird buildings in 3 and 4 and the tree reflecting off the firetruck in shot #2.

These may all get a much different feel if you did a b&w conversion.

Cool stuff thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    harryb007harryb007 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    #3 and 4
    I really like 3 and 4, very interesting. Looks like some kind if radiation work was done there, maybe reactors or something. Not sure that wouldmake it a treasure island tho. Nice shots. Harry
  • Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    I'm jealous. What an interesting place. Looks like a place I'd want to spend all day at!
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    The other day JC, and I went up to San Fransisco, and Treasure Island. Treasure Island was built for the 1914 (I think) worlds fair, and was commandeered by the Navy during WW2, and has now been abandoned by them.

There are some toxic clean up issues before the land can be turned over to the city.

There is one area of several acres that has a number of interesting buildings. The San Fransisco fire department uses this area for training, and JC talked (batted her eyes) :D at the section chief, and he let us wonder the facility unsupervised.

We separated to take photos, and I had impression I was wandering in a futuristic SF environment. There were no people around the buildings and the feeling of isolation was palatable. I kept expecting the Borg to beam down an assimilation party. My only wish was that seven of nine would be among them. mwink.gif

I was also reminded of Schmoo.

Here are a few from that site.

Sam

Hi there Sam, that looks a really cool place to explore.
    You were very fortunate to get a very good sky and cloud formation too.

Images #3 and #4 look like a big kids play ground.
    Yep I can see Schmoo playing in there for sure rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing Sam, very good series thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin