Options

macro test

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited January 17, 2008 in Technique
My friend Dave asked me about macro photography, and the different lenses, extension tubes, etc, so I went out in the garage today and put this together for him.

Please note I have to individually upload each photo with each post having one photo, so please don't post until you see 7 images from me. This will take me a few minutes. Thanks!

The first shot gives you a pretty normal view of the subject matter, and was taken with the 100 mm 2.8 macro lens.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    This is with the 100 mm lens at the minimum focus distance.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    This is with the 100 mm and a 12 mm Kenko extension tube.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    This is with the 100 mm lens, and the 36 mm Kenko tube.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    This is with the 100 mm lens and a 12 mm, and 36 mm Kenko tube.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    This is with the 100 mm lens, and the 12 mm, 20mm, and 36mm tubes.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    This last shot was taken with the 50 mm 1.8 and a a 20 mm , and 36 mm tube attached. This was VERY difficult to work with because the min and max focus distance was only about a 1/4" if that. This was taken hand held.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    Oh and one more. This is the 100 mm with 12+20+36 tubes, but I have cropped it, and I could still print this at 8X12 with out any problems.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    What a nice friend you are to shoot these for Dave! This should give him a really good idea of the differences one can attain. I bought a set of Kenkos a year or so ago thinking it would be something I could do in the heat of summer when it's too hot to go outdoor shooting. Somehow, I never have put them to use yet! This is a good reminder. I don't think I could ever hand hold as steadily as you do though. Thanks for sharing, these are great!
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    What a nice friend you are to shoot these for Dave! This should give him a really good idea of the differences one can attain. I bought a set of Kenkos a year or so ago thinking it would be something I could do in the heat of summer when it's too hot to go outdoor shooting. Somehow, I never have put them to use yet! This is a good reminder. I don't think I could ever hand hold as steadily as you do though. Thanks for sharing, these are great!

I haven't used the tubes very much, but I have found they seem to work better with some lenses, than others, As for hand holding, this was taken with strobes. Using the 50 mm and 2 tubes because of the VERY narrow min / max focus distance it would be almost impossible for me to hand hold with natural light.

Using the tubes with the 100 mm macro lens seems to ba a good combination.

Sam
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Good demo shots of macro :)
    Not sure I understand the comment about DOF on the 50mm vs the 100mm lenses with ext tubes though. The DOF at any given magnification and aperture should be the same no matter how you actually achieve the magnification.
    brian V.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    Good demo shots of macro :)
    Not sure I understand the comment about DOF on the 50mm vs the 100mm lenses with ext tubes though. The DOF at any given magnification and aperture should be the same no matter how you actually achieve the magnification.
    brian V.

Brian!!!

Thanks for stopping in! Please understand I consider you the all time macro master. Your macro images are amazing! clap.gif

I wasn't talking about DOF, but was trying to explain the very narrow range between the maximum focus distance, and the minimum focus distance when using tubes.

As an example when using the 100 mm 2.8 macro lens, I can see, through the view finder a distant mountain. I can also focus on it and take a shot. The mountain of course will be fairly small in the frame.

Still using the 100 mm 2.8 macro lens I could then walk up to the mountain, and take a shot from 12". In this case only a very small section of the mountain would be in the frame, but would of course fill the entire frame.

I am assuming I have light, and a reasonable shutter speed.

Now when using the 50 mm 1.8, with extension tubes, I can't even see the mountain (subject) at a distance. I have to be very close. Depending on the tubes I may only have a range of 1" between the minimum, and maximum distance I can actually see the subject. Within that 1" distance window I might only have a range a 1/4" where I can achieve a focus lock, and take the photo.

To summarize: tubes are relatively cheap, but have limitations, and are harder to use. True macro lenses while more expensive are much more versatile, and easier to use.

I hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 12, 2008
    Lovely series of photos, Sam, with nice, truly white, backgrounds. Very appealing still lifes.

Did you use two flashes for all these shots? It looks to me like the first few you had two flashes, later ones, maybe, just one broad light source.

Extension tubes limit the range of distances the lens can focus through with the lens own focusing ring range. As the extension tubes get longer and longer, you get less and less range of focus with the lens focusing ring as you pointed out. You lose the ability to focus to infinity whenever you use an extension tube.

Using a 12mm or 20mm extension tube on a telephoto can be a great way to shoot close ups of insects or flowers - think 300mm + 12 or 20mm extension tubes. You will get nice close ups of butterflies this way, with very lovely out of focus backgrounds, and you stay far enough away to not upset your quarry.

Extension tubes are a nice addition to a 100mm macro or a 180mm macro also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    Pathfinder,

Thanks for your input.

I used two equal distant strobes at about 30 degrees. This was meant to be a simple flat non creative example to demonstrate the type of results, (FOV, and magnification), you could expect using the combinations tested.

I kinda like the one shoot taken with the 50 mm, and tubes. I couldn't get the tripod height adjusted to where I could get a focus lock, so since I was using strobes I thought I would try hand holding, but I needed some support so I rested my hand on the table to get this shot.

Thus providing a more interesting angle.

I tried to explain the concept, but your sentence: "Extension tubes limit the range of distances the lens can focus through with the lens own focusing ring range. As the extension tubes get longer and longer, you get less and less range of focus with the lens focusing ring as you pointed out. You lose the ability to focus to infinity whenever you use an extension tube." was succinct, and far clearer than my attempt. clap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Sam,

Thanks for the series of photographs. I learn quite a bit from your macro demonstration.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Very nicely done Sam, and a valuable reference. Thanks.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Very neat and informative comparison. I've been debating purchasing extension tubes for my 100/2.8. I already have diopters, but haven't gotten to use them much. I've glad to have seen this test so I'll know what to expect. I'm ready for spring to chase some bugs!

I do have one question about the second photo. You said "This is with the 100 mm lens at the minimum focus distance." That has me somewhat confused. headscratch.gif At its minimun focus distance the 100mm should yield 1:1 magnification. Even if you were using a FF cam, one of the larger buttons or 1.5" or so of the tape measure should have filled the frame. Did you have the focus limiter switch engaged?

I'm only curious and don't intend to step on any toes, especially being the new guy. I was just curious about that specific point.

Thanks for the test! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    Hmmmmm, I just tried my 100 on my 30D (crop), and turning the focus ring to minimum (no AF involved) I get about 3/4 inch of a tape measure into the frame horizontally, and I'm only seeing 95% of the image that is captured. The 30D sensor is 22.5 mm - one inch = 25.4 mm.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    Very neat and informative comparison. I've been debating purchasing extension tubes for my 100/2.8. I already have diopters, but haven't gotten to use them much. I've glad to have seen this test so I'll know what to expect. I'm ready for spring to chase some bugs!

I do have one question about the second photo. You said "This is with the 100 mm lens at the minimum focus distance." That has me somewhat confused. headscratch.gif At its minimum focus distance the 100mm should yield 1:1 magnification. Even if you were using a FF cam, one of the larger buttons or 1.5" or so of the tape measure should have filled the frame. Did you have the focus limiter switch engaged?

I'm only curious and don't intend to step on any toes, especially being the new guy. I was just curious about that specific point.

Thanks for the test! thumb.gif

William,

First, don't worry about stepping any ones toes, we are all here to, learn, and exchange our experiences.

Four posts eh? I'm sitting here LMAO. I tried to do this test in between other chores, and rushed things a bit.

When I was taking the first image labeled as min focus distance, I kept thinking to myself, gee this doesn't look right. I thought I could focus closer, and have the subject fill the screen more.

After reading your post, I went and checked the lens.

Sho nuff...........it were set at to the 0.48m rather than the 0.31m, minimum focus distance. :D

So the posted test is officially bogus! The ruler, and buttons should all look bigger in each photo. I can't do the math, but all should be larger / closer.

Good catch!!!

Sam

PS: I am happier now with the lens then I was. :-)
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    William,

So the posted test is officially bogus! The ruler, and buttons should all look bigger in each photo. I can't do the math, but all should be larger / closer.

Good catch!!!

Sam

PS: I am happier now with the lens then I was. :-)

So - are you happy enough to re-do the test??? Might take you a while to reset all the stuff to the exact same positions, but this is important stuff:D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Sho nuff...........it were set at to the 0.48m rather than the 0.31m, minimum focus distance. :D

Thank goodness I've NEVER done that! :bs

Ditto to Icebear.
  • Options
    David L. MegaheyDavid L. Megahey Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Thanks Sam, lots of good info there.
    :scratch When in doubt....SHOOT IT!!!
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Pure curiosity on my part...
    I was going to write that the first image did not seem quite right and it did not look like a macro lens at minimum focusing distance. until I saw your explanation.

I do have a question about the 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens you were using.

I use a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP AF Macro lens and when I start focusing as close as a bit over 3 feet, the focus scale begins to show the ratio at which I am shooting. It starts at 1:10 and works its way (1:7, 1:5, 1:3 and so on) closer until at .96 feet it tells me that I am at a 1:1 image ratio. I deem it very handy to have this scale as a reference because I know at what ratio I am shooting without looking at a chart or doing any math.

My previous macro lens was an old Vivitar Series-1 90mm f/2.8 Macro. It didn't have the image ratio on the focus scale although it could focus to a 1:1 ratio (using an adapter like the 50mm f/2.8 Canon Macro lens does).

I assumed that the ratio scale was an addition that most new macro lenses included. Seeing your post, I begin to wonder if the 100mm Macro includes the image ratio on the focus scale.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    rpcrowe,

Yes the Canon lens has that stuff, and if I had paid attention I wouldn't have %#$*-up! But I did. :cry

I admitted it. I ate a bucket of worms!. I will self flagellate myself this evening after I find out were to buy the cat o nine tails whip. Unfortunately for me, here in California, they probably carry them at Wal Mart. :D

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 16, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    I was going to write that the first image did not seem quite right and it did not look like a macro lens at minimum focusing distance. until I saw your explanation.

I do have a question about the 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens you were using.

I use a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP AF Macro lens and when I start focusing as close as a bit over 3 feet, the focus scale begins to show the ratio at which I am shooting. It starts at 1:10 and works its way (1:7, 1:5, 1:3 and so on) closer until at .96 feet it tells me that I am at a 1:1 image ratio. I deem it very handy to have this scale as a reference because I know at what ratio I am shooting without looking at a chart or doing any math.

My previous macro lens was an old Vivitar Series-1 90mm f/2.8 Macro. It didn't have the image ratio on the focus scale although it could focus to a 1:1 ratio (using an adapter like the 50mm f/2.8 Canon Macro lens does).

I assumed that the ratio scale was an addition that most new macro lenses included. Seeing your post, I begin to wonder if the 100mm Macro includes the image ratio on the focus scale.

The 100mm Canon f2.8 macro does indeed show the 1:1 1:1.2 1:1.5 ratios in yellow numbers right in front of the focus distance in feet and meters.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    The 100mm Canon f2.8 macro does indeed show the 1:1 1:1.2 1:1.5 ratios in yellow numbers right in front of the focus distance in feet and meters.

Oh, so that's what those numbers are for.rolleyes1.gif

I've been using mine for closeups and not real macros, so they weren't of much use to me - I just frame the part of the flower the way I want it to fill the frame.