Options

5d micro

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited January 15, 2008 in Cameras
not sure if i can be here with camera questions...

can the micro gurus direct/advise me to a lens for the canon 5d?

is full format an issue in the micro lens world?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/444462-USA/Sigma_270306_70mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194451-USA/Canon_4657A006_100mm_f_2_8_USM_Macro.html#goto_itemInfo

thanks, sincerely mr ignoramus
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    I think EF is compatible with full frame canon cameras
    EF-S is not compatible with them headscratch.gif

No idea about sigma.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Think the only macro lens not compatable with the 5D would be the canon 60mm EF-S.
    You will get a loss of print magnification with the 5D compared to a 1.6 crop camera but I'm sure you are aware of that.

brian V.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Think the only macro lens not compatable with the 5D would be the canon 60mm EF-S.
    You will get a loss of print magnification with the 5D compared to a 1.6 crop camera but I'm sure you are aware of that.

brian V.
    im not aware of most anything with the full frame or micro...
    but give me time.

i would like to make large prints (24x36, etc...) with whatever i shoot in micro thats why i was thinking about using a 5d,....

i do have a d200 also, i just dont have a micro lens.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Moving this to Cameras :D
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Canon calls 1:1 Magnification lenses "macros", I think Nikon calls them "micros" IIRC. Anyway, as mentioned only the Canon EF-S 60mm macro will not work on a 5D.

The two links you have for the Sigma 70mm and the Canon 100mm will work with the 5D. I don't know of any macro for the EF mount that is optically bad. All are very good. I'd go more with the working distance you need. If you are shooting critters that don't like you gettng an inch from them for 1:1 magnification, then a 100mm or better yet a 150mm or a 180mm macro may be better. A 100mm macro is a very popular focal length for a full frame body.

The Sigma 70mm is a new lens made to split the difference between the two so on a cropped body, it feels just a bit longer than a 100mm lens on a full frame and on a full frame it's 70mm which isn't bad.

The Sigma seems to have better optics than the Canon per slrgear.com and photodo.com and photozone.de but it also extends while focusing and the AF is't as good as the Canon. It's also less expensive IIRC and comes with a hood.

So I'd go more with the working distance you need and go from there. I think both are good and if you are looking for a more dedicated macro, the 100mm maybe better b/c it gives you more room while a 70mm maybe more versatile since it's a bit wider.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    i changed the title to be more discriptive
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Canon calls 1:1 Magnification lenses "macros", I think Nikon calls them "micros" IIRC. Anyway, as mentioned only the Canon EF-S 60mm macro will not work on a 5D.

The two links you have for the Sigma 70mm and the Canon 100mm will work with the 5D. I don't know of any macro for the EF mount that is optically bad. All are very good. I'd go more with the working distance you need. If you are shooting critters that don't like you gettng an inch from them for 1:1 magnification, then a 100mm or better yet a 150mm or a 180mm macro may be better. A 100mm macro is a very popular focal length for a full frame body.

The Sigma 70mm is a new lens made to split the difference between the two so on a cropped body, it feels just a bit longer than a 100mm lens on a full frame and on a full frame it's 70mm which isn't bad.

The Sigma seems to have better optics than the Canon per slrgear.com and photodo.com and photozone.de but it also extends while focusing and the AF is't as good as the Canon. It's also less expensive IIRC and comes with a hood.

So I'd go more with the working distance you need and go from there. I think both are good and if you are looking for a more dedicated macro, the 100mm maybe better b/c it gives you more room while a 70mm maybe more versatile since it's a bit wider.

thank youthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    oh, also, my focus for micro is on mountain flowers this coming spring.

also...yet another question to make me look as smart as a box of rocks:D

so im assuming micro is a tripod only event ?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    The Sigma DG lenses work fine on full frame, only the 'DC' lenses from Sigma would not work
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 9, 2008
    Aaron,

Full frame cameras work fine for macro - I have a number of images shot with Canon full frame bodies, with either a Tamron 180mm f3.5 macro, or a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro here. Check the exif data to be sure, and leave comments if you like, please.

Sigma also makes a 150mm f2.8 macro, and a 105mm macros that are very nice. Tamron's 90mm macro has been held in high esteem for years.

Using a larger format than an APS sensor means that the corners of the image may be slightly softer, since almost all lenses are at their worst at the extreme corners of a full frame. A crop body camera uses only the central portion of the image, excluding the softer full frame corners.

One disadvantage of using full frame is that the depth of field is slightly less than with a smaller sensor. Just like using a smaller sensored P&S for macro will have even more depth of field. This is not a deal breaker, but something to think about if more depth of field is needed. It is one reason I grab my G9 sometimes, rather than a DSLR. For 24x36 in prints, you will probably prefer a full frame camera, I agree.

A tripod will assist in getting sharper images, but small critters rarely will hold still for tripod setup and adjustment, so lots of macros are shot handheld, with flash to help stop motion or camera movement blurring.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    thanks everyone for your attention!, it is appreciated!!!thumb.gif

pathfinder, thanks for the advice.
    i do want less DOF, so it would be an advantage for me. (i hope i understood you correctly.) my goal is to have everything out of focus except my subject, which in my case will be small mountain flower petals and such...
    i dont think i will be hunting critters, maybe i will...i dont know...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    my goal is to have everything out of focus except my subject, which in my case will be small mountain flower petals and such...
    i dont think i will be hunting critters, maybe i will...i dont know...

The issue with a macro lens is the shallowness of the DOF. In your case the background will be out of focus, but so might most of the flower petals or the stamen and pistils. Many of these lenses have very very shallow DOF.

Here is an example...really a test shot I did, with the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro. As you can see, only the center of the leaf is in focus:

241587883-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    here is an example of acceptable dof to me:
    photog; liftoff
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=80101

are you dgrinner gurus saying the DOF will be thinner than this when using full frame or will it be close to that example?headscratch.gif

thanks
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2008
    also, i am wondering if i need the telefoto @ $200 more

i just plan on setting up a tripod next to a flower...is that all im going to want to do? i dont know...the telefoto will be less restrictive right?...

with a normal macro lens what the optmal distance from the subject?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=341925&is=USA

and a telefoto macro lens, same question?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=444463&is=USA

thanks again for the help.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008

brian V.

This is correct. But you can mount the 60mm/2.8 Macro with the
    Canon EF 25mm Extention Tube II on the 5D. Other Extention Tubes
    wont work btw. (not even those from Kenko or Canon I series).
    Of course the 60mm/2.8 will render a smaller image circle than
    sensor of the 5D has (this means vignetting).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Consider the 90mm Tamron f/2.8 macro
    Either the present DI (which is supposed to be optimized for digital) or the earlier model non-DI, AF SP lens would be great with either a full frame or 1.6x crop camera.

Either Tamron competes very well with the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro (it is better in some ways and not quite as good in other ways)
    http://photo.net/equipment/canon/can-tam-macro/

I use the 90mm Tamron on 1.6x cameras but, I was happy another lens with the 90mm focal length when I used a 24x36mm full frame Pentax 35mm camera.

The 50mm Macros cause you to work too close to your subject which may bother little critters and also makes it a bit more difficult to light your subjects properly. The Canon 50mm macro lens needs an adapter to obtain a 1:1 image. The Sigma 50mm macro can obtain 1;1 imagery without an adapter.

The 60mm Canon macro lenses are EF-S and will not function on a full frame camera. The 65mm MPE macro lens is a very expensive and specialized tool which will give you from 1:1 to 5:1 imagery. It will not however, focus at infinity.

The 150mm and 180mm macro lenses would give you a greater working distance. I have never used these lenses but, Dr. Deepak Rao of Bangalore, India, whom I consider a master macro photographer, states that he considers the 150mm and 180mm lenses a bit too heavy to hand hold. It was Deepak Rao's macro imagery on Digital Photography Review and my personal correspondence with him that convinced me to get the 90mm Tamron over the other lenses, including the 100mm Canon (which is a great macro lens).

I was lucky enough to find a used 90mm f/2.8 Tamron lens on eBay and I bid $105 USD and was surprised when I won the lens. The shipping cost less than $20 USD. This is the model that Tamron issued prior to its present DI model however, the imagery from this lens is right up there with my 70-200mm f/4L IS and 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lenses.

It also has great bokeh which makes it a very nice portrait lens.

Here is my previous setup with the 90mm Tamron Macro. I now use a 30D camera and a 550ex flash but, the setup is just about the same.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    rpcrowe, thanks, thats great info to consider.
    i will put it on my watch list.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    white dot / red dot
    Yellow butterfly.jpgI am using 100 mm F2.8 macro for my 5D, it works fine.

Tried my friend's 60 mm macro, it cannot fit. Just realize that the 60mm is EF-S with a white dot for mounting orientation. Full film has the red dot for orientation.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/