Options

Antwerp, Belgium: a short visit.

Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited January 14, 2008 in Journeys
Photographers always seem to post pictures of faraway places, preferably with high mountains, lots of snow or tropical sandy beaches.... Well, why not tell something of our own local environment?

At the moment, I live in a small town about 15 min car ride to the west of Antwerp, Belgium. I have always lived and worked in the vicinity of Antwerp. When we go shopping to "the big town" we go to Antwerp; when the children want to visit the Zoo, we go to central Antwerp. On the other hand, practically no pictures of Antwerp seem to be hosted on the 'net. That's why I am making a sort of "local travelogue" detailing the beauty of old Antwerp and its inhabitants.

If You are interested, You can find my first collection of 74 pictures at the following link: http://hdemey.zenfolio.com/p835543619

Antwerp, including neighbouring communities, is a town of about 600.000 inhabitants in the north of Belgium (Flemish part, speaking Flemish or Dutch), on both sides of the river Schelde. The left bank is a small sleeping community of recent development; there is nothing special to see apart from the view to the medieval houses on the right bank and of course the impressive commercial harbour and shipping on the Schelde. From the square where the tram and pedestrian tunnel cross under the river, You can observe the ancient town on the right bank. From left to right: The Saint Jacob's church, where the painter Peter Paul Rubes lies entombed, the old castle Steen (or stone in English); right behind the Steen the Vleeshuis (House of Flesh); then follows the quay with the local harbor cruise vessels (Flandria), and the spire of the Cathedral. More to the right (but not on these pictures) stands the Boerentoren (large office buidling).
p757300672-5.jpg

From the left bank You cross to the right bank using the tramway or on foot by the pedestrian tunnel under the Schelde. This tunnel is very old with antique wooden staircases. This is a 10 min walk.
p922186300-3.jpg

p608227276-3.jpg

This travelogue starts at the Astrid Place with the Central Station.
p951461518-3.jpg
Over the main entrance is a sign giving is correct name: the "Middle Station". The grand hall is impressive.
p827415410-3.jpg
From Central Station You can walk over the main commercial street, called the Meir with buildings dating from 1880-1920. On the way, you encounter the house where Peter Paul Rubens lived and worked.
p915030559-3.jpg
Just around the corner is a small square, called "Wapper", where You can visit a museum dedicated to Rubens. Farther on on this square is the market where on Saturdays groceries and food stuff is sold, and also small animals, and on Sundays clothing and small objects. We call this the "Vogeltjesmarkt" (Bird market). It is visited by hundreds of Dutch people, going to Antwerp for "a day on the town".
p1059824493-3.jpg

At the end of the Meir lies the Boerentoren (Tower of the Farmers), now an office building.
p668926599-4.jpg
Behind the Boerentoren is de Groenplaats (Green Square), where the monument to Rubens stands on a large square.
p677308584-4.jpg
On this square is also the magnificent Hilton Hotel and the backside of the cathedral. This square is much frequented by sun worshippers, and people looking for a place in one of the many local cafes.
p999855130-4.jpg

After the Groenplaats, You enter the old town with many small squares, many restaurants and cafes (resembling the Quartier Latin in Paris). This also leads to the Grand Place of Antwerp with the Town Hall and the Brabo monument.
p783442376-3.jpg

From the Grand Place it is a 3 minute walk to the river Schelde, with its terraces overlooking the river and the old town.
p692858627-4.jpg

p544300295-3.jpg

Noteworthy are the old castle Steen (once a maritime museum, now closed indefinitely), the "Vleeshuis, the old guild offices of the medieval butchers (now an impressive medieval weapons museum).
p727601505-3.jpg

p802212907-3.jpg

The Carolus Borromeus church (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/belgium/antwerp-st-carolus-borromeus-church.htm) lies next to a beautiful little square surrounded with more restaurants and cafes.
p1063763938-3.jpg

This concludes the first Antwerp travelogue. This walk can be done in one day.

When I find time, I will continue posting pictures of other districts of Antwerp.

Comments

• Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Really wonderful. I feel as if I have just been taking on a tour by a professional. Thanks!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Photographers always seem to post pictures of faraway places, preferably with high mountains, lots of snow or tropical sandy beaches.... Well, why not tell something of our own local environment?
    For me (living in California, USA) Antwerp is a far away, exotic place!!! :D Very nice shots. I am fascinated with European architecture and the history that goes with it. The Grand Hall is beautiful. What is the story behind the elephantine sculptures? Very cool. I'll be sure to check out your link to your gallery later in the day. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2008
    What is the story behind the elephantine sculptures?
    These elephants were part of an international art "exhibition", called Beaufort 2006. During Beaufort, several international and local artists place art sculptures on different locations of the Belgian coast (total length = 67 km) and people are expected to travel to all locations to look at the sculptures. In 2006 The South-African Pierre Botha erected a complete family of elephants; it was one of the most-visited items during this Beaufort 2006 exhibition.

After the exhibition was dismantled, the elephants were bought by the Antwerp Zoo, and temporarely re-exhibited at the entrance of the Zoo, in Central Antwerp (Astridplein).

Now they have been taken down. It is believed that they will re-appear "real soon now" in Planckendael, a large open-air dependency of the Zoo in Mechelen (30 km south of Antwerp) http://www.planckendael.be/content/park/fs_park.asp?Ct=park&ID=1
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I agree with saurora, to me this is a far away place! Your photos and story have given us a day in the city. Well done. Perhaps I will do the same.
  • Options
    SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    America sucks
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Snarcher wrote:
    America sucks

Hahaha. That was funny...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 12, 2008
    Thanks for sharing your town!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I enjoyed this very much!
    Jaye
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    I have uploaded some pictures from my latest walk. Enjoy!

http://hdemey.zenfolio.com/p835543619/

p292180845-4.jpg

p181838396-4.jpg
  • Options
    jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Thanks for the great photos of Antwerp. Yes, it is a lovely town. I was a tad amused at your description in the beginning how you live out of "Antwerp", but treat it still as your city center. This is what many other country's call the metropolitan area. It was only since I moved to Europe that I've met people who live just out of a city, and mention it as that. Where I come from, I would just say I live in Antwerp even though it's technically a separate town.

Anyway, I love the photo of the central station. Antwerp must have one of the most beautiful stations in the world. I visited it a couple of years ago but would love to see it again now that the expansion is complete.

I also loved the character of the city and the architecture. The Tunnel you showed pictures of is cool, and is also unique. I can only think of a couple more of these around the world, and that's in the UK (Two in London and one in the north somewhere) A similar one in Hamburg, though that also takes cars down an elevator.

The only thing I didn't like about Antwerp was the river. Sadly, as this is such a water based city, the river I thought was left in terrible neglect. I remember a rusty car park and a view across to the otherside which was pretty undeveloped. Oh well, no place perfect. If Antwerp one days sorts this out, it would be a perfect place.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    jcp wrote:
    The only thing I didn't like about Antwerp was the river. Sadly, as this is such a water based city, the river I thought was left in terrible neglect. I remember a rusty car park and a view across to the otherside which was pretty undeveloped. Oh well, no place perfect. If Antwerp one days sorts this out, it would be a perfect place.
    I think You are describing the southern side of the city just besides the river, towords Hemiksem and Hoboken. Yes, it is a desolate area, and will remain so for years to come. The same for the other river bank, undeveloped.

However, Antwerp is undertaking an immense renovation and expansion project in the North, where the old shipping docks used to be. They are trying to copy the success story of London and its dockyard area. Around the oldest docks, they are creating new living quarters and restaurant/cafe areas. A once desolate area is again coming to life and quite agreeable for "a day on the town". There are also plans to create a new bridge over the Schelde. If all the plans will be developed, it will be something special.
    Even the left bank will be renovated with the creation of a large green area, perhaps like the Bois de Boulogne in Paris.

Big plans, but let's wait and see when and how it will evolve.
  • Options
    jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Yes, that would be nice. Waterfrontage is the most important asset a city can have. Many cities have taken advantage of this already and I was somewhat surprised to find Antwerp so far behind here - especially considering how dominant the waterways in that city are.

But thanks for the info, and I hope to see these changes when I next visit the city.

By the way, great food in Belgium.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    i really am too busy with going to far exotic places to travel the 100'ish km from the netherlands rolleyes1.gifSo thanks for the tour!

nice shots but to me (beaten down by cold and drab wheather) the best way to enjoy belgium is in front of a pub with a cold belgium beer in summer :D

maybe i can find some time this year rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    nice shots but to me (beaten down by cold and drab wheather) the best way to enjoy belgium is in front of a pub with a cold belgium beer in summer :D
    Unfortunately, all Your country men are blocking all the best places :-(
    It seems that Holland has discovered Antwerp: on weekends the streets and terraces are overflowing with them. Or is it the quality of our beer that is luring them [like Winnie the Pooh to a pot of honey:D]
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Zeus1 wrote:
    Unfortunately, all Your country men are blocking all the best places :-(
    It seems that Holland has discovered Antwerp: on weekends the streets and terraces are overflowing with them. Or is it the quality of our beer that is luring them [like Winnie the Pooh to a pot of honey:D]
    lol3.gif

I am actually there quite a bit for work, but rarely have time visit the city :(:

Great shots thumb.gif love the 'verrekijker' shot.